Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2007, 13:38   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
That statement is not 100% accurate!
Hi @reignofchaos,
I happened to see similar information at quite a few places, hence the reason for that post!. Even in TBHP, I found a reference..Easing Bangalore Traffic - Rocket Science?

See a few more references:

"How BTIS works:
1) The number of transaction counts from a cell tower is correlated to the number of people within the tower's range of detection.
2) The number of people in a given location is correlated with congestion in that location.
3) Therefore, using transaction data, it is possible to establish an indicator for congestion at key locations of interest.
Cell phones / SIM cards on vehicles moving along known routes (e.g. public buses) can be mapped in real time to determine congestion at different points as well as travel times between locations. By this, bus routes and arrival times can also be accessed on the phone.."

Source : Indiantelevision.com's Digital Edge: Airtel to provide traffic updates in Bangalore

"With BTIS, real-time traffic information is deduced from the cell phone tower logs of Airtel's city-wide network, and made available to commuters to see live congestion hotspots, find directions and plan their travel routes."...

Source : Mapunity, Airtel and Bangalore city launch BTIS

Now, I am not sure of the authenticity of these websites and information, but was just trying to say, if this is the way they have designed the system, it is indeed atrocious! Let us hope it is not and the system will overcome its initial hitches.
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:02   #17
BHPian

Live traffice of bangalore

Live Traffice Routes of Bangalore with Traffic, BTIS : Bangalore Transport Information System - Homepage
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

I had subscribed for Traffic alerts on mobile. Do anyone here know how to deactivate them?
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore Traffic now live on Camera

The Bangalore traffic police in conjunction with the city's municipal corporation has established a network of cameras on all the major intersections of the city. These high resolution cameras are equipped with 360 degree vision, all weather capability, alpha-numeric readers to easily read number plates. The system consisting of 350+ cameras, bluetooth linked hand held devices all connected to a main frame is controlled from a traffic management center and offers live monitoring of traffic. It allows the traffic police to change the duration and frequency of stop and go signals depending on live traffic conditions.

The traffic police on the street are equipped with BlackBerry instruments linked to the central server and blue tooth printers. Once a number plate or a driving license number is fed into the BB device, it not only records the current challans and prints a receipt on the spot but with the data feed from the server it also displays all previous traffic violations and pending fines if any. This is directly linked to the government treasury and at the end of every day the collections have to be deposited and of course in totality. Per the spokesperson the total collection for traffic violations for the last fiscal was 18 crore and since the inception of this system the collections for this fiscal have already crossed 44 crores. Other benefits include live recording of accidents that allow for speedy dispatch of ambulances and of course clearly determining the cause of the accident. This is the first time in our country that such a project has been undertaken and I hope that other municipalities and traffic police departments follow suit sooner than later.

This whole system has the auto guys perplexed. Some of the guys interviewed on the tv programme were wondering as to how each and every cop now knows about what they did wrong yesterday or the day before. So can we expect to see three wheeler's being driven in an orderly manner and following every rule in the book. I sure hope so but time will tell.

So dear Bangloreans the next time you halt at a crossing and stop over a zebra crossing, a challan will be on the way to the number plates corresponding address within 5 minutes of the violation. Oh and if the TMC (traffic management center) has your email id the challan will be waiting for you in your inbox even before you reach home. Coming up behavioral changes in the way the traffic police deal with Jaywalkers.

Edit : Whoa! I just learned (after my post was moved to this thread) that the initiative by the Bangalore traffic police is a couple of years old. That means the system works and the coverage in the news today must be on account of the system having become fully functional. How I wish that the same were implemented in NCR sooner than later.

Last edited by khoj : 3rd August 2010 at 19:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks