Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2007, 21:16   #76
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
A jail sentence is given to a person to reform him.We know he has reformed,so why all this?
That is one purpose of punishment. Another is to deter potential criminals from committing a similar crime. From the latter point of view, the punishment should be appropriately harsh and merciless. Personally I think Sanjay Dutt has already suffered enromously in the 14 years of trial and has also served 18 months in prison; this by itself should be enough of a deterrent to others.

I strongly believe in the saying "Justice delayed is justice denied". It has never been truer in Sanjay Dutt's case.

Last edited by rks : 1st August 2007 at 21:21.
Old 1st August 2007, 21:44   #77
Senior - BHPian

Although i m a big sanjay dutt fan and love watching his movies and have read a lot about his good deeds etc etc but i think in his case he got caught thats why the punishment.
And what he did was wrong too.Having a licenced weapon is something and buying arms from the underworld people is something.And what about the hand grenades??Dont tell me he wanted to throw hand grenades at people who would have come to kill him.Just does not add up.Even free countries like American where every tom dick and harry can have a weapon dont keep hand grenades.
Even if my best friend told me store things like guns or hand grenades at my place for whatever reason i would not allow him
Old 1st August 2007, 22:49   #78
Senior - BHPian

thank god we are not on the jury.
Old 1st August 2007, 22:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Amen to that. I cannot understandthe sympathy for a man who bought an assault rilfe from a ruthless gangster & then tried to dispose it. And hand grenades ???

@binz, how do you know he is reformed ?

the very fact that he has managed to drag this trial indicates his desire to push the justice system to the limits.
Old 2nd August 2007, 05:14   #80
BHPian

Esteem lover took the words out of my mouth.
How many people here would sympathize with Laloo Prasad if he is convicted and sentenced to 10 years in prison? Would you say that he has suffered enough in last 10 years since the scam became public? Would you say that he is reformed and has done many good deeds as railway minister? Would you sympathize with him like some of his party supporters do?
Next when Salman Khan is punished, all his fans would shed tears. 'How can you punish him for killing just one homeless person? Why don't you first punish all the politicians? Salman is reformed... he doesn't beat up his girl friends anymore. Just watch Partner!'
Old 2nd August 2007, 08:20   #81
BHPian

lets all agree that sunju did the mistake but he has not killed anyone and seeing that he did plead guilty,may be our government should punish him like 6 yrs jail or 60 crores(some amount which should pinch him tightly) and then use the amount for good purpose like for poor children or needy women or upliftment of a village etc.what do you guys?
Old 2nd August 2007, 08:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

i repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Old 2nd August 2007, 08:54   #83
Senior - BHPian

I found it quite funny how some people here have already declared him "reformed", as if Sanju is their close personal friend and they know him very well!
He might be a good actor, infact his acting in MBBS is just amazing. But some people tend to think that he has the same qualities in his personal life too, ie emotional, sensitive, helping, caring etc. This might or might not be true, but it doesnt mean he get a special treatment. No one should, in a democracy. Infact, equal treatment for all- is the very basis of a democratic nation.
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:00   #84
Team-BHP Support

I feel its more a problem with the way justice is handed out in our country. He deserves this sentence, just as all the others who were sentenced, but not after 14 years. It should have been at max within a month of the actual event taking place.

EDIT : Just as i mentioned in my first post on this thread, what if an innocent was framed?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd August 2007 at 10:01. Reason: Added another thought
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I feel its more a problem with the way justice is handed out in our country. He deserves this sentence, just as all the others who were sentenced, but not after 14 years. It should have been at max within a month of the actual event taking place.

EDIT : Just as i mentioned in my first post on this thread, what if an innocent was framed?
when an innocent was released within a month in australia, every one started crying foul at the OZ police.
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:55   #86
BHPian

Oh well, looks like he is gonna be let off anyway. CBI is approaching SC to increase his sentence. Translation: They will try to find a corrupt judge to overturn TADA courts ruling and let 'sanju baba' off the hook.
Old 2nd August 2007, 20:22   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
when an innocent was released within a month in australia, every one started crying foul at the OZ police.
may be, its OZ police. I would like to quote the following link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/515894-post2136.html
Old 2nd August 2007, 21:11   #88
Senior - BHPian

Thats why we need to have jury system or at least a committee of judges to decide on an important case like this. Now its just one mans opinion. I can guarentee that if a different judge were handling the case the verdict would have been less harsh.

Just to remind the prime accused and the plotters are sitting in Dubai which is only 3 hours away and laughing all the way to the bar, while this innocent but immature (then) person goes to jail for 6 years.
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:02   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Thats why we need to have jury system or at least a committee of judges to decide on an important case like this. Now its just one mans opinion. I can guarentee that if a different judge were handling the case the verdict would have been less harsh.
That is the main difference between a Jury and Judge.
While Jury goes by opinions and beliefs, Judge goes by his understanding of the book of law. A different judge may have given a different verdict if he understood law differently or if he was paid enough money to understand it differently.

If we had a Jury system, this is what would happen:

Sanju baba would be let off because most of the Jury would have watched Munnabhai and have a soft corner for him.

Half the rapists in this country would not be convicted because it will be the girls fault for being good looking or dressing well.

None of the politicians would ever get convicted because the people in their constituency think he can never do wrong and it is all political conspiracy.

None of the underworld gang members would ever be convicted by a Jury because juries have families.

None of the upper caste members would be convicted if Jury is of same upper caste.

All of one caste members would be convicted if Jury is from a rival caste and so on and so forth.

Jury system will never work in India as long as we have a class and caste systems. It will also not work because of our culture of obedience.
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:34   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Just to remind the prime accused and the plotters are sitting in Dubai which is only 3 hours away and laughing all the way to the bar, while this innocent but immature (then) person goes to jail for 6 years.
The topic here is not whether he is guilty or innocent, everyone(our own jury) seems to agree that he is guilty, but the sentence is decided by the judge & that is what has irked a few people here who obviously admire his acting talents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks