Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2013, 12:08   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gun Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Can I import a replica BB gun from US to India? I have been eyeing a full metal replica of Dragunov Sniper Rifle, and was thinking of buying this (LINK)

Will customs create any trouble if I find a friend willing to carry this from US?

--Anoop
The replicas are identified by a red cap at the end of the barrel.

The best way to get it here is by courier.

Regards,

Waseem.
Old 10th August 2013, 14:35   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
The replicas are identified by a red cap at the end of the barrel.

The best way to get it here is by courier.

Regards,

Waseem.
Thank you Waseem. I hope there is lo legal red tape to tangle the import.

Do you, by any chance, have any pointers on what website \ courier service to use to get it to India?
Old 10th August 2013, 14:43   #243
Team-BHP Support

This may not be too off-topic. Recently, on my way back from Japan, one of guys in my group was carrying a Samurai sword. It was a blunt sword, not a functional one.

Apparently, real swords can't be carried on flight in Japan, even as checked-in luggage, despite what was shown in Kill Bill movie. When the sword package was shown to the check-in lady, she called the customs official to come and check the sword. He opened the sword and used some device to check the blade, and declared it as a non-functional sword. Only after that the sword was allowed to be checked-in.
Old 10th August 2013, 15:02   #244
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This may not be too off-topic. Recently, on my way back from Japan, one of guys in my group was carrying a Samurai sword. It was a blunt sword, not a functional one.

Apparently, real swords can't be carried on flight in Japan, even as checked-in luggage, despite what was shown in Kill Bill movie. When the sword package was shown to the check-in lady, she called the customs official to come and check the sword. He opened the sword and used some device to check the blade, and declared it as a non-functional sword. Only after that the sword was allowed to be checked-in.

I think it would be a policy specific to a particular airline rather than general Japan Air travel policy.
Old 10th August 2013, 15:10   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Do you, by any chance, have any pointers on what website \ courier service to use to get it to India?
Amazon guys will have tie-ups with courier guys,Check if they ship these replicas outside US as well.

Waseem.
Old 10th August 2013, 15:24   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Amazon guys will have tie-ups with courier guys,Check if they ship these replicas outside US as well.

Waseem.
I already did that - they do not ship to India :(

have asked few of my friends - hope some one will oblige me
Old 11th August 2013, 14:50   #247
BHPian

Quote:

The replicas are not allowed to be imported in India through any legal channel. Forget about courier companies, you cant even bring it with your baggage.
My cousin have his replica gun forfeited for almost 6 months now. There is no way they would release it.
Apparently there is some notification issue by the ministry banning this.
Please do not waste your money/time in trying to buy one. For more details you may refer to another forum: indiansforguns.
Old 11th August 2013, 15:07   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I think it would be a policy specific to a particular airline rather than general Japan Air travel policy.
Don't think so. Japan has one of the strictest laws on Swords.

http://www.buildingthepride.com/facu...dLawLetter.htm
Old 11th August 2013, 15:20   #249
BANNED

Quote:
Don't think so. Japan has one of the strictest laws on Swords.

http://www.buildingthepride.com/facu...dLawLetter.htm
I don't see anything there which says you cannot carry a sword in checked in baggage. Of course, you cannot have it in the cabin like Kill Bill.
Old 11th August 2013, 15:59   #250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I don't see anything there which says you cannot carry a sword in checked in baggage. Of course, you cannot have it in the cabin like Kill Bill.
Well, I am telling you from what I saw on a display at the Noyoga Airport. They finally allowed the sword after confirming it is not a real sword.
Old 11th August 2013, 18:12   #251
BANNED

Quote:
Well, I am telling you from what I saw on a display at the Noyoga Airport. They finally allowed the sword after confirming it is not a real sword.
Yeah, I know. I am saying that it must be airline specific policy.

Check here - http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...f/examples.pdf

As long as you are legally in possession of the sword, it can be checked in. This is as per the Aeronautics Act in Japan. Individual airlines can have policies stricter than these.

This is just like in the USA most airlines allow guns to be checked in. However, American Airlines doesn't - at least it didn't at one point in time. It was an airline specific policy.

But Kill Bill wouldn't have been Kill Bill without Beatrice Kiddo carrying a sword on her back.
Old 11th August 2013, 21:54   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
The replicas are not allowed to be imported in India through any legal channel. Forget about courier companies, you cant even bring it with your baggage.
My cousin have his replica gun forfeited for almost 6 months now. There is no way they would release it.
Apparently there is some notification issue by the ministry banning this.
Please do not waste your money/time in trying to buy one. For more details you may refer to another forum: indiansforguns.
Oh! This is a downer. I will surely check the other forum - hope my friend have not purchased it already :(
Old 12th August 2013, 12:36   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! This is a downer. I will surely check the other forum - hope my friend have not purchased it already :(
Please do check it. Needless to say, the way authorities are here in India, your friend might face some uncalled harassment.

Frankly speaking, there is nothing more to these replicas than show off. Rather, I would say they are more of a hassle/threat instead of defensive article.

However, if you still are adamant to get one, your best bet would be a good gun house in your city. These gun houses sell the kind of replica you require. Obviously, the price would be bloated to 4x or 5x of what you are getting and choice would be very limited (primarily pistol and mouser).

OT: In case you still take the risk of getting the replica gun shipped with your friend returning from abroad, he/she requires to buy a special case for carrying arms in the baggage.
Old 12th August 2013, 12:53   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post

Obviously, the price would be bloated to 4x or 5x of what you are getting and choice would be very limited (primarily pistol and mouser).
+1 on the pricing of replicas sold in India.

The draganov replica which is priced at 100$ in US would cost around 40-50k in India.

Waseem.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 12th August 2013 at 12:55.
Old 12th August 2013, 20:16   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Can I import a replica BB gun from US to India? I have been eyeing a full metal replica of Dragunov Sniper Rifle, and was thinking of buying this (LINK)

Will customs create any trouble if I find a friend willing to carry this from US?

--Anoop
Hi Anoop,

Head to Indianforguns.com you will find all the info regarding import of a BB gun. Also do send a PM to member Abhijeet he is can provide you all the info you need.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks