Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 22:29   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gun Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Please do check it.

he/she requires to buy a special case for carrying arms in the baggage.
Thank you Grr. I have seen the local pistol replicas. I am sure that the chances of I firing a real Dragunov is next to nill, so I thought if I can at least have a replica, let me buy one. It is never for the performance, but only for the value that it is a replica of a gun I love - sort of like buying a scale model car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Hi Anoop,

Head to Indianforguns.com you will find all the info regarding import of a BB gun. Also do send a PM to member Abhijeet he is can provide you all the info you need.
Thank you motorpsycho. I was once an avid reader of IFG, I think I do have a user ID there. I will head over there soon.

Thanks for the info guys - I have asked my friend to hold the purchase as of now :(

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 12th August 2013 at 22:30.
Old 27th July 2014, 03:03   #257
BHPian

Anyone aware of the procedure (Official and Under-the-counter) for obtaining a valid license for Handheld Semi-Automatic Pistols? Like a Sig P226 or something like that.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:27   #258
BHPian

Are you sure semi-auto pistols are allowed for Indian citizens? I think automatic and semiauto are only allowed for police and defence services.
Old 28th July 2014, 13:34   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilj View Post
Anyone aware of the procedure (Official and Under-the-counter) for obtaining a valid license for Handheld Semi-Automatic Pistols? Like a Sig P226 or something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Are you sure semi-auto pistols are allowed for Indian citizens? I think automatic and semiauto are only allowed for police and defence services.
AFAIK, the only brand new semi-automatic pistol you can obtain legally in India is the IOF 0.32 semi auto pistol; unless you are a VIP, of course.

http://ofbindia.gov.in/index.php?wh=...20Arms&lang=en

Last edited by darklord : 28th July 2014 at 13:41.
Old 28th July 2014, 14:33   #260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
AFAIK, the only brand new semi-automatic pistol you can obtain legally in India is the IOF 0.32 semi auto pistol; unless you are a VIP, of course.

http://ofbindia.gov.in/index.php?wh=...20Arms&lang=en
And 12 month delivery time after ordering. Is it really so hard to make a semi automatic pistol? Do they use same techniques used gunsmiths in the 1500s?
Old 28th July 2014, 18:27   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilj View Post
Officially you can not import the gun , unless it's under transfer of residence, and of all the calibers you can get only the .22 LR , rest of the 226 calibers are PB, prohibited Bores. Exception to owning one or importing one will need mountains to be moved with the home ministry.

And to safe to say unless any P226 was manufactured before 1986 the chances of it being in India are next to impossible legally speaking.

Next best bet, buy an imported one before 1986, the IWI Desert eagle was traded in India close to 30 LK price.
Old 28th July 2014, 18:44   #262
Senior - BHPian

^^ It'll probably be easier to move to a gun friendly state in the US!
Old 29th July 2014, 12:55   #263
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know what is the purpose of this weapon? I assume this is the same as used on the fairs for shooting balloons.

http://oliveplanet.in/index.php/prod...den-stock.html

Does the buyer require a license?
Old 29th July 2014, 14:36   #264
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Does anyone know what is the purpose of this weapon? I assume this is the same as used on the fairs for shooting balloons.

http://oliveplanet.in/index.php/prod...den-stock.html

Does the buyer require a license?
This is a good air rifle designed in India. Plinking is a good pass-time and many people take to shooting as a sport. Are you thinking of buying one? The NX series is a gas-ram mechanism as compared to the usual springers. Gas rams are known to maintain same thrust over years of shooting as compared to a springer that may lose thrust over time.

And it doesn't require a license.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 29th July 2014, 17:29   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
This is a good air rifle designed in India. Plinking is a good pass-time and many people take to shooting as a sport. Are you thinking of buying one? The NX series is a gas-ram mechanism as compared to the usual springers. Gas rams are known to maintain same thrust over years of shooting as compared to a springer that may lose thrust over time.

Cheers,
Adi
Thanks. No intention to buy for now.

What kind of 'bullets' are required? And why are these guns so cheap compared to the ones used for self-defense?
Old 29th July 2014, 17:52   #266
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,
Adi
Wasnt there a change to this, thanks to Menaka Gandhi and a few animal lovers filing a case in the court. Read somewhere that it now requires licenses as well. Dont know the whole story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Thanks. No intention to buy for now.

What kind of 'bullets' are required? And why are these guns so cheap compared to the ones used for self-defense?
These use pellets, which are soft leads, and normally non-lethal. They either have a pointed head or a blunt head. It is lethal against small animals and birds, and in the wrong place can maim larger animals(like dogs, cats,etc), or blind even humans. Hence a lot of negative image created by a few irresponsible owners.

I mainly works on compressed air or Co2 or nitrogen, and the cost can also grow exponentially depending on the build quality and its "power". Its good start for plinking or target practise!

Last edited by aah78 : 29th July 2014 at 18:23. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 5th August 2014, 17:55   #267
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
These use pellets, which are soft leads, and normally non-lethal. They either have a pointed head or a blunt head. It is lethal against small animals and birds, and in the wrong place can maim larger animals(like dogs, cats,etc), or blind even humans. Hence a lot of negative image created by a few irresponsible owners.
A lot like driving a vehicle on public roads. Its normally non-lethal. And in the wrong place and time can be fatal to others. Only difference is that more than a few irresponsible drivers here.

Sorry for the OT but thought the analogy was appropriate for a car forum!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 6th August 2014, 13:46   #268
BHPian

Quote:
A lot like driving a vehicle on public roads. Its normally non-lethal. And in the wrong place and time can be fatal to others. Only difference is that more than a few irresponsible drivers here.

Cheers,
Adi
very true. That can be said of much more things, be it the kitchen knife, or the bore wells dug each year in various parts of the country!!

What is required is a good channel to impart education on the usage. Though we have Rifle clubs and other clubs, they are not easily accessible, and I am not sure if they do hold courses there!! Just as in your analogy, where the indoctrination on the road rules is missing before the DL is issued

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 6th August 2014 at 13:47.
Old 8th September 2015, 15:14   #269
BHPian

Read half of thread but couldn't find what i needed.

To start a target practice hobby - what kind of gun is needed?

Where to buy a target practice gun / air gun / balloon bursting gun (like in fairs) in Bangalore and what will be the approximate cost?
Old 8th September 2015, 19:55   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Read half of thread but couldn't find what i needed.

To start a target practice hobby - what kind of gun is needed?

Where to buy a target practice gun / air gun / balloon bursting gun (like in fairs) in Bangalore and what will be the approximate cost?
You can start off with an Air rifle, they are available from 3.5K to Lakhs , Pericihole makes good Air rifle among Indian brands , specially their Nitro Piston, these cost about 10K.

Most Viewed