Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2016, 13:22   #286
Senior - BHPian

Gansan I totally understand your point and it's true. The guns in some areas in the north is used as protection and all local leaders have it as a show of strength. The guns being made in local lathes are bad quality and can hurt the user at times! Even ammunition is at times made locally and the error rates are crazy high.

The reason most of the thugs still use sickles to attack is coz of the cops. Supposedly cops treat gun violence pretty bad in comparison to sickles.
Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 09:12   #287
BANNED

Re: Gun Ownership

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but I felt that for lovers of Jim Corbett's stories & memoirs, this might be the place.
One of Mr. Corbett's favourite weapons (which was gifted to him by JP Hewett, then lieutenant governor of the United Provinces, to Corbett in 1907 after he shot down the Champawat man-eater, responsible for a record 436 human deaths) is back in India.

Details are in the following URL - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/51691145.cms
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 23:24   #288
BANNED

Recent Arms rule 2016 had made owning .22 caliber air guns without licience in india illegal i guess. Any idea?

So buying something like this form amazon illegal?
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B073BBWWM9/
Old 13th August 2017, 20:48   #289
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if I can get my fathers license transferred to my name?
Old 14th August 2017, 20:28   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Does anyone know if I can get my fathers license transferred to my name?
Yes Sir, you can, there is a provision under inheritance, there are other caveats associated with it though.

iii) Grant of Licenses under family heirloom -MHA’s
letter No. V-11019/23/95-Arms dated 28-02-1995

1. Death of the licensee or the licensee has attained the age of
70 years
2. Has had held the weapon for 25 years or more
Old 14th August 2017, 20:59   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Yes Sir, you can, there is a provision under inheritance, there are other caveats associated with it though.

iii) Grant of Licenses under family heirloom -MHA’s
letter No. V-11019/23/95-Arms dated 28-02-1995

1. Death of the licensee or the licensee has attained the age of
70 years
2. Has had held the weapon for 25 years or more
Hello, regret to inform, it is not possible now at least in Karnataka.
I tried to get the license of my father transferred to my name, but the DC office turned it down. My father is 85 and he finds it difficult to maintain the license. The only option left with us is to sell the weapon to a license holder.
To apply for new license, the applicant must undergo " citizen gun training " program conducted by Police department and obtain the certificate. Only then, the application for new license is accepted.
Old 14th August 2017, 21:39   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
Hello, regret to inform, it is not possible now at least in Karnataka.
I tried to get the license of my father transferred to my name, but the DC office turned it down. My father is 85 and he finds it difficult to maintain the license. The only option left with us is to sell the weapon to a license holder.
To apply for new license, the applicant must undergo " citizen gun training " program conducted by Police department and obtain the certificate. Only then, the application for new license is accepted.
Hello Nutmello,

I am not sure, how different the Fire arm rules are from MH to KA, however I agree with you on the Civilian Rifle training course is a good way to go towards getting a license.

Coming to the rejection, irrespective of the rules, the officers often behave arbitrarily when it comes to granting licenses, unless you have got in some kind of influence.
Old 16th August 2017, 17:57   #293
BHPian

Guns require immense responsibility. My family (and relations) always had guns till maybe the early 90's. ALL, of them were strictly for hunting.

Some things, I remember as a child / young person -- well some is folklore:

1. Guns had to be submitted to a "koth" (I guess a police armory) during elections.
2. License holders never gave or lent their guns to others to submit -- but would for hunting. (And get a share of the kill)
3. If someone was traveling (and the house would be locked) the gun owner would leave his guns (and all ammunition) with another trusted gun owner for that period.
4. Guns were kept clean and highly maintained.
5. Guns were never kept loaded in the house.
6. Guns were loaded 20-30 meters outside the house and disengaged in a similar fashion.
7. Empty guns were never primed (mostly 12-bore hammer / or an over-under) and fired.
8. Safety catch was checked repeatedly -- someone told me "what if some bush or thorny bush disengaged it".
9. Only fire once you see the horns and tail. Never assume / guess.
10. After season opens, touch the barrel front to the first-blood. (LOL)
11. Do not drop ammunition - ever.
12. Guns kill.

Did I ever see gun violence -- human on human. Never! Slowly most members sold their weapons as hunting laws got super stringent and the times changed.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 17:39   #294
BANNED

Slightly offtopic:

From where can I purchase fake guns that look like real guns?

Tried online, but in vain.
Old 15th March 2018, 20:57   #295
Team-BHP Support

How did India whose citizens have so little access to guns, end up on the top of medal tally in the 2018 world cup shooting competition? That too ahead of USA, which has more guns than people.

Gun Ownership-chrome-legacy-window-3152018-80254-pm.bmp.jpg
Source
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 15:33   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How did India whose citizens have so little access to guns, end up on the top of medal tally in the 2018 world cup shooting competition? That too ahead of USA, which has more guns than people.
I guess this proves the saying that Quality matters, not Quantity!

I think since gun ownership is not as prevalent in India as compared to US, people in India who do get a licences are clear what they want it for, instead of just holding a gun because they can. So it is not hard to imagine that there are a good number of licence holders in India who use their licence for competitive/practice purposes. Hence better marksmanship in shooting competitions. This is just my take on this matter.
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 16:15   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Slightly offtopic:

From where can I purchase fake guns that look like real guns?

Tried online, but in vain.
Try airsoft.

You won't and shouldn't get a 100% identical replica as it's enough to fool people even with a toy gun.

Airsoft guns are good replicas with the tips of the barrels painted orange to indicate they aren't real weapons.
Old 16th March 2018, 17:09   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe because the training is targeted? (pun intended)
It is a bit like asking why we have more deaths in road accidents despite having less vehicles.
Old 16th March 2018, 17:29   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
It is a bit like asking why we have more deaths in road accidents despite having less vehicles.
No at all. It is the question of talent pool, access to training, and cost of training. One doesn't win world championship by accident. Very few Indians have access to guns, and even less Indians have access to world class shooting facilities. Somehow that very elite group also happen to have the right talent for shooting. I am wondering how that happened.

How did India identify shooting talent so effectively in a gun starved country like India? Well, we have a sports minister who is an Olympic silver medalist in shooting. But they must also have some very effective talent scouting program.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 17:58   #300
BHPian

Quote:
No at all. It is the question of talent pool, access to training, and cost of training. One doesn't win world championship by accident. Very few Indians have access to guns, and even less Indians have access to world class shooting facilities. Somehow that very elite group also happen to have the right talent for shooting. I am wondering how that happened.

How did India identify shooting talent so effectively in a gun starved country like India? Well, we have a sports minister who is an Olympic silver medalist in shooting. But they must also have some very effective talent scouting program.
One reason could be that after Rathore won Silver in Olympics,the services started encouraging their people to pursue this as a way to win laurels for the country? From the current crop that won medals at the ISSF,I can name atleast 3 that are from the services. Ravi Kumar and Shahzar Rizvi are from IAF and Jitu is from the Army. Shooting is a very expensive sport and with lack of facilities in India, getting people from the services and letting them to pursue their talent seems to be paying good dividends for us.
jraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks