Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2007, 21:18   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's an outrageous statement. that means in a family of four, at least 3 have guns. Take 10 families with 4 members, then all members of 6 families have guns and 3 members in remaining 4 families have guns. How come I never met such families in my decade long stay in USA.
90 guns per 100 citizens doesn't necessarily mean 90 citizens out of 100 have guns
But the statement is not too far from reality, go outside urban areas and you will see that almost everyone has a gun. Almost all Walmart supercenters have a gun section, some one must be buying them.
Mayavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2007, 08:17   #77
BANNED

The Hindu : New Delhi News : “Rs.17,500 forcibly extracted after car hit”

Quote:
NEW DELHI: A Honda City car hit a Mercedes near ITO on Wednesday leading to an altercation between the two parties. The accident took place around 4-45 p.m. when the Honda City driven by a businessman, Vivek Gupta, hit the Mercedes.
Mr. Gupta later lodged a complaint with the Tilak Marg police alleging that though he apologised and offered to pay some money as compensation, the person travelling in the Mercedes forcibly extracted Rs.17,500 from him.

Mr. Gupta said the person, who was carrying a firearm, told him that he was a personal security guard of a Faridabad-based influential Government functionary.

As the accident spot fell under the jurisdiction of the I.P. Estate police station, the case was transferred there. The police are verifying the allegations made by Mr. Gupta. No case has been registered.
What if the Honda City driver had a gun too ???
diabloo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2007, 10:47   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Then the "security guard" would NOT have been able to FORCIBLY extract money out of poor Mr. Gupta...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2007, 11:51   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet View Post
Then the "security guard" would NOT have been able to FORCIBLY extract money out of poor Mr. Gupta...
You mean like a standoff, I doubt it. Unless both were pros in using guns, one of them would have pulled the trigger not wanting to be slower than the other.
Old 20th October 2007, 13:23   #80
Ram
Senior - BHPian

When one sits back and reflects, one gravitates to the perspective that we are a nation of emotion-clouded children.

Children who fly into a rage and throw tantrums when somebody expresses a contrary view about our favorite religion, political leaning, community or even dead and departed historical figures.

We thrive on strongly spiced food, music, politics and other people's misery.
Even our most successful TV soaps are so aligned.

We are a nation of worshippers of unlikely film actors, politicians, cricketers and every other sundry flavour of hero.

Our sense of fairness, of right and wrong is subjugate to our selfishness.
This is evident when we show callous disregard for the distress of a street accident victim, but expect society to come running to our rescue when we are in trouble.

Our police still behave like they owe allegiance to the autocracy that ruled us in the past. Binding and dragging an accused behind a motor vehicle, like medieval horsemen.

We nurse a deeply ingrained "me-first" attitude. This sees us unhesitatingly steering into and squatting on another's lane (even one meant for oncoming traffic), especially at traffic signals and railroad crossings.

Wouldn't giving control of a firearm to such infantile retards, be no worse than giving a knife to a baby?
Ram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2007, 13:37   #81
Senior - BHPian

Bravo Ram! Couldn't have put it any better.
Old 22nd October 2007, 17:59   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mr. Gupta said the person, who was carrying a firearm, told him that he was a personal security guard of a Faridabad-based influential Government functionary.
anybody knows how can one be a security guard? i wanna drive a merc witha piece in my pocket too.
Old 23rd October 2007, 00:20   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
anybody knows how can one be a security guard? i wanna drive a merc witha piece in my pocket too.
vivek..if its a security guard in the US, it'll most probably be associated with a mall, and a Ford Escape..
None-the-less..it would be more like a rapper.Bling bling Merc..a gun and bunch of goons in fur coats..

OT..how's the Nissan doing?
Old 24th October 2007, 13:30   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You mean like a standoff, I doubt it. Unless both were pros in using guns, one of them would have pulled the trigger not wanting to be slower than the other.
That would have led to a wild west america like scene. Anyone remember books from Oliver Strange which revolved around the character Sudden?

OT:
If anyone in NCR has those books please do lemme know as I would love to borrow them, if you are willing to lend them! TIA

Last edited by thefreak : 24th October 2007 at 13:33.
Old 24th October 2007, 15:08   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
When one sits back and reflects, one gravitates to the perspective that we are a nation of emotion-clouded children.

Children who fly into a rage and throw tantrums when somebody expresses a contrary view about our favorite religion, political leaning, community or even dead and departed historical figures.

We thrive on strongly spiced food, music, politics and other people's misery.
Even our most successful TV soaps are so aligned.

We are a nation of worshippers of unlikely film actors, politicians, cricketers and every other sundry flavour of hero.

Our sense of fairness, of right and wrong is subjugate to our selfishness.
This is evident when we show callous disregard for the distress of a street accident victim, but expect society to come running to our rescue when we are in trouble.

Our police still behave like they owe allegiance to the autocracy that ruled us in the past. Binding and dragging an accused behind a motor vehicle, like medieval horsemen.

We nurse a deeply ingrained "me-first" attitude. This sees us unhesitatingly steering into and squatting on another's lane (even one meant for oncoming traffic), especially at traffic signals and railroad crossings.

Wouldn't giving control of a firearm to such infantile retards, be no worse than giving a knife to a baby?

Ram,

As per your post, you consider all/ the vast majority of Indian citizens to be infantile and/ or irresponsible - carrying your logic to it's obvious conclusion, it would seem then that India should NOT be a democracy (as per your logic), as Indians are incapable of making responsible choices... what would you suggest then? That we allow ourselves to be ruled (not governed) by a "responsible" elite, who knows what is good/ bad for us and makes all our choices for us? Stuff silly things like freedom - eh? After all what did the poor sods who died to win us our freedom know about how undeserving we were/ are...

For all the faults in our system, one basic premise stands out as pure and unblemished - and that is the basic premise of all democracies - that the people know what's best for each of them and are capable of making their own free choices accordingly. Maybe you'd have liked to spend a few years (or forever) in the erstwhile USSR, where the ruling elite decided all aspects of a citizens life... nice cars they made in those days, what were they called? Oh, yes - Lada... maybe you'd like to be driving one of those too... you'd have needed to queue up for a few decades to have bought one though... small price to pay eh?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Old 24th October 2007, 15:35   #86
Team-BHP Support

Ban guns? Well ban guns totally. Nobody should have a gun. No criminal, don, gunda should have a gun. Then I will agree with you and wholeheartedly support "Ban guns line".
But if you cannot guarantee that "No don, gunda, rowdy in the whole country can own a gun" do not tell a common man not to get a gun.
Every few days in Noida armed dacoits murder some elderly couple, do dacoity in a house, or carjack people at gunpoint. If the police cannot make me feel secure, then definitely it does not have any right to control gun ownership by the common man.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2007, 15:56   #87
Senior - BHPian

Well lemme just add a bit here. I am from a place where every household has a gun and we are able to get licenses for them easily if you are a landowner in this district. Guns are nice and it feels secure that you got some security at home but we never carry them around in the vehicles.
The poiunt is that there have been so many cases of rage where a person has been shot at and this is too bad coz people just in a fit of rage go to their weapons to do the talking.
Ever heard of brothers shooting each other or neighbours killing someone over minor disputes???
Guns should not be so easily available or we would actually beat US by miles due to gun violence.
Our country is nice how it is and we dont need this.
Regarding the Increase in crime in gurgaon area i have no idea but i feel guns are not the solution.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2007, 17:43   #88

Hi Maddy,

From your post it seems that you belong to Coorg... As to you post, you may want to check out my post earlier on this thread (page 5).

Quote:
Therefore it comes as no surprise that our stringent firearms laws do not seem to be having the desired effect. In fact in spite of their freer gun laws and almost 1 gun per capita, India and the USA aren't that far apart in (per capita murder rates) - USA is 24th, India 26th. In fact, if we consider total murders (rather than per capita figures), India does rather poorly relative to the US.
For a murder/ violent crime victim it is hardly of any consequence whether he/ she has his/ her bashed in with a club, is stabbed to death or whether he/ she is shot... the end result is exactly the same! Also, while criminals when planning an attack on their victims have the benefit of weighing their options and required strength in numbers/ arms etc. - the victim is almost always caught unprepared and more often than not is alone. Legal gun ownership, allows potential victims the CHOICE of being prepared and allows them to (somewhat) even out the odds in their favour.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Old 24th October 2007, 19:00   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
vivek..if its a security guard in the US,
who wants to stay in US if a merc is available in india

nissan is doing good so far.
Old 24th October 2007, 21:13   #90
Senior - BHPian

@ abhijeet vbmenu_register("postmenu_605366", true);

Ya i am from coorg. I understand your side of the argument but the point is that the chances of it being misused are also high. Remember the number of laws which are already being misused!! As long as the person using the gun is sensible then the gun is safe. Imagine a case of road rage itself where a guy who has a gun which is actually for self protection ends up being discharged???
Also am telling we dont need it coz i have a friend whose dad was shot at by unknown persons and he is still recovering. Friends life just took a major turn. This had happened with an illegal weapon. In case every alternate person has a gun then imagine whats going to happen. People will recover easily from wounds caused by other arms like clubs or rods but bullet is a bullet. Changes everything in its path.

In case we need that law we would need a really strict authority. Unless that is in place there is no use

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks