Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 18:37   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
I remember a time where they used to take a piece of a banana , roll it into a small ball and load it into the airgun.Phatt!!!!!Ouch.
that's like putting banana in ur car's exhaust, ouch.....it will spoil the gun.

another ground rule, always keep your finger on the trigger guard, not trigger itself. put it on trigger only when you are sure you are going to fire.

many of you may remember the funny video of a female police officer firing a shot near a grounded victim, she made the mistake of pulling the trigger involuntarily.
Old 25th June 2008, 18:38   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@proxima- read ealier in the thread that you're going to practice on your terrace. did you read the sentence after you typed it? maybe it was an error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dont try stunts on your terrace etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Thanks vivek, was just kidding though. However, will be careful when I buy and use one.
I was kidding guys, but do I need to go to some official place to practice shooting with an air gun? We have a pretty large terrace, stay in an independent house with no neighbors on all 3 sides (excluding the road). Isnt that combined with a big wall and nobody else on the terrace enough precaution?
Old 25th June 2008, 18:42   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was kidding guys, but do I need to go to some official place to practice shooting with an air gun? We have a pretty large terrace, stay in an independent house with no neighbors on all 3 sides (excluding the road). Isnt that combined with a big wall and nobody else on the terrace enough precaution?
frankly speaking, that's very limited information for an assessment of suitability of a shooting range

you can take gun safety course even if you don't own any gun. for starting I would say you should go to a shooting range even with your air gun.

just keep in mind, guns are powerful, freak accidents can happen anywhere. you will have fun only until something unfortunate happens.

e.g. for some reason (there won't be much of a recoil in air gun) if your gun points upwards, it will shoot the pellet in a trajectory and land you will never know where. there was a case in US where a bullet crossed a hill and killed a man on the other side around 2 miles away. nobody knew what hit him until the post-mortem.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 25th June 2008 at 18:45.
Old 25th June 2008, 18:47   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
stay in an independent house with no neighbors on all 3 sides (excluding the road). Isnt that combined with a big wall and nobody else on the terrace enough precaution?
Don't know about terrace, boundary walls are good enough to stop Air rifle pallets. One of fun tricks is to paste bunch of "tickli" (not sure what it would be called in English) crackers on wall and try hitting any of them with pallet. It bursts loudly if hit. And if you paste too many of them then hitting is easier
Old 25th June 2008, 19:15   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
frankly speaking, that's very limited information for an assessment of suitability of a shooting range

you can take gun safety course even if you don't own any gun. for starting I would say you should go to a shooting range even with your air gun.

just keep in mind, guns are powerful, freak accidents can happen anywhere. you will have fun only until something unfortunate happens.

e.g. for some reason (there won't be much of a recoil in air gun) if your gun points upwards, it will shoot the pellet in a trajectory and land you will never know where. there was a case in US where a bullet crossed a hill and killed a man on the other side around 2 miles away. nobody knew what hit him until the post-mortem.
come on! chill! air rifles dont have much range and pellets are like big grains and hence I doubt it will fall back to Mother Earth and cause a crater :P

I think the one's you get here has a maz range of 400mts. I doubt this as at those distance it would have lost its momentum.
Old 25th June 2008, 19:23   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
come on! chill! air rifles dont have much range and pellets are like big grains and hence I doubt it will fall back to Mother Earth and cause a crater :P

I think the one's you get here has a maz range of 400mts. I doubt this as at those distance it would have lost its momentum.
I have done some shooting with air gun as well as 303 rifle and I know air guns don't have much of an impact beyond 25 mts. But that doesn't mean one can be advised to buy a gun without any training and precaution.
Old 25th June 2008, 19:29   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
IMHO 400 meters is an overstatement Maybe 400 meters is their "official" range.

In practice, my air rifle (.22 Kanpur Gun Factory) is useless beyond 2 electric poles (300 feet). Useless as in, it wont even penetrate a cardboard.
Old 25th June 2008, 19:33   #128
Senior - BHPian

Can Air Guns be imported ?
there are some high calibre pump action, gas based types available in US.
Old 25th June 2008, 19:33   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But that doesn't mean one can be advised to buy a gun without any training and precaution.
IMHO, Training is not required for run-of-mill airguns. If someone takes care of basic points already mentioned in posts, its as safe as a Car (Both can kill others if used carelessly or in case of extreme bad luck).
Old 25th June 2008, 19:51   #130
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
IMHO, Training is not required for run-of-mill airguns. If someone takes care of basic points already mentioned in posts, its as safe as a Car (Both can kill others if used carelessly or in case of extreme bad luck).
true! its the extreme bad luck bit that I'm worried about.

Old 25th June 2008, 20:08   #131
Senior - BHPian

My point is, air rifle is "reasonably" safe. Speaking of luck, even 5V DC can kill if someone is unlucky.
Old 25th June 2008, 20:11   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rule # 1 - loaded or unloaded, always point the gun to safe direction (away from population, towards a solid wall etc). and make sure anybody u hand over your gun to, understands the rules before taking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Some rules which you Got TO Follow.

a) Please be extremely careful while holding a gun and always point it on the ground when it is loaded.
b) Always put the trigger lock when the gun is loaded and open it only when your willing to fire.
c) Don't ever keep your gun loaded when your storing it or keeping it inside.
d) Keep the bullets away from kids and dont show them where it is.
e) While firing make sure your not aiming at a person by mistake as you really dont know whats the range of it and you dont want it to cause any freak accident.
f) Dont fool around as your mistake may make you repent the rest of your life.
I disagree with both of you on the direction to point the gun, do remeber that the bullet are carrying extreme momentum by virtue of their high velocities and they can bounce off anything even hard ground , so the safest way to point the gun would be to the air , or try as far as possible not to point it towards any human being. Evene bulet which have bounced off walls or hard flooring can kill.

Always have your safety lock on .., if you have a pistol better to store the catridge separatley.
Bullet by themselves are a saftey hazard , they have been known to go off if the rear part / flat part is dealt a blow , that too not a very strong one.

Airguns are the most dangerours ones , because they dont require lincenses to posses and they work on a compressed air for a strong spring held in place by a very flimsy lock meachnism which get released by the trigger. In good airgun manufaturers like Natinal Rifles, they will be using good quality locks and now a days they even have safety catches but the usual one which you can buy over the counter dont have either quality of components or safety ctaches which makes them even more deadly.

If i were to ever own a pistol i would dismantle it and store it , if i were to store it for a longer period , and place the bullets in a safe locker without access to children( it barely takes a minute to re- assemble)

I agree that airguns may not kill beyond 50 meters or so , but my friend if its an unlucky day nothing can help you .

I have operated 303 rifle, .22 calibre rifles, 9 mm Pistols, Revolvers, country made guns which deliver buck shot ,12 bore double barrel guns, country made rifles and the INSAS rifle ( i think that is the name ) and with each and every one of these the bullet is a potential killer as long as it is in flight !

Last edited by hellstar : 25th June 2008 at 20:16.
Old 25th June 2008, 20:33   #133
BHPian

Talking of Airsoft gun, I got an electric airsoft gun. It is damn powerful. It is supposed to have exit speeds of 160 f/s (According to the box information and manual). If I fire at a wall at a distance of about 2 meters, the plastic pellet actually breaks apart upon impact! Accordingly wikipedia, some electric airsoft gun can generate muzzle velocities of upto 500 f/s!

Last edited by DriverR : 25th June 2008 at 20:36.
Old 25th June 2008, 20:38   #134
Senior - BHPian

Are these available easily in India?
Old 25th June 2008, 21:12   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Are these available easily in India?
Not sure if you refering to the electric airsoft guns or some other post.

In the case of electric Airsoft gun, I bought it from a popular toys/stationary/books store chain here in Hyderabad. They had about 3 different models and brands of electric airsoft guns (battery operated) all with similar velocity. As for the high velocity ones, I doubt they are available in India, or even if they are, they would not be found in a toy store due to the high speed. Maybe some speciality store!

Most Viewed