Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2007, 09:31   #31
Team-BHP Support

How about cross-bow? Very similar to using a gun, no license required I hope.

Old 10th August 2007, 09:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Personally , i prefer the catapult (oundigoal as we call it here). Has never let me down.
Old 10th August 2007, 09:46   #33
BHPian

Well no license required but I think you can be held under custody for possessing a possibly lethal weapon. I would suggest going for something like a stun gun or pepper spray for self protection. So many gals in Delhi now carry pepper sprays in their bags and they feel less scared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Old 10th August 2007, 10:04   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I quote you a quote from a stand up routine by Ediie Izzard (my Hero)
Quote:
The NRA says 'guns don't kill people, people do.'

But I think that the gun helps.

You know? I think it helps. I think that if you just walked around going 'Bang!' you wouldn't kill too many people would you? You'd have to be really dogdy on the heart for that to work. I think that people should just try that. Walk around going 'BANG, BANG, BOOM, RATTA TAT, BOOM, RATTA TAT, BOOM!' I think that they should just try it.
Old 10th August 2007, 11:19   #35
BHPian

Its interesting to hear what fellow bhpian's think.
Like I said at the begining of the thread. I am not for or against guns.
The current state of Law & Order in NCR is disheratening. Apart from the Central locking that I use full, time I've even intalled dead bolts at home.

Neither do I condone violence or aggression infact ever since my little king was born, I've cut my average speed by 30 kmph & try the best I can to be courteous while I drive.
The look of amazement on most fellow Delhietes when I yeild, more than makes up for the delay !!
Old 10th August 2007, 11:21   #36
BHPian

oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post

full, time
Sorry Sam for the punctuation error.
Old 10th August 2007, 13:06   #37
BANNED

So now we know the stimulus. One day you suddenly become suspecting & protective. One day you cut your speed. All these based on some stimulus. How will other change without the stimulus? How do other expect to know this? Before you changed, there are many other who have changed. Did you notice the change in them? Did you change then?
Quote:
Its interesting to hear what fellow bhpian's think.
Like I said at the begining of the thread. I am not for or against guns.
The current state of Law & Order in NCR is disheratening. Apart from the Central locking that I use full, time I've even intalled dead bolts at home.

Neither do I condone violence or aggression infact ever since my little king was born, I've cut my average speed by 30 kmph & try the best I can to be courteous while I drive.
The look of amazement on most fellow Delhietes when I yeild, more than makes up for the delay !!
Old 10th August 2007, 16:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Very frankly, I dont mind carrying a mini-self-protection gun around my waiste. Many family men might wish to carry the same to protect their wife and kids from unexpected events by anti-social characters in our cities. So, owning a gun, be it social status or self protection, anyone would wish to carry one with them. Be true to yourself guys... dont you really wish to own one in the present world ?? Offcourse you do. Now it comes to the second point of thought:

Who is eligible for a gun ? Thats the most important factor here to consider and evaluate. It should be a licensing authority without even 5% of corruption in deciding the eligibility of any individual purely based on the following criteria:

01. Age criteria minimum 25 and above (same like 18 for a driver's license)
02. Lack of any criminal, anti-social records individually and family wise
03. Special training on the safe usages and tactics of self defense
04. Permission to shoot below waiste line in case of emergency.
05. Regular authorised checks and records of the bullets loaded and used
06. Serious punishments and cash fines in violating the purpose of usage

I think few points could be added to it to make sure licensed individuals dont violate the law in the actual intention of the license. Its purely for self protection. If a driver commits mistakes on the road which goes to the extend of killing himself or others on the road, same thing could be considered in the worst case scenario of guns.

For all those who oppose the view of licencing for guns: You havent actually gone through any situation with yourself or with family that you would have wished to get an immediate help from police or authority to save yourself from an unhappy event or tragedy. Having a gun doesnt mean you have to hurt someone. Sight of a gun itself could be enough to stop a crime or tragedy. Think about that !!
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2007, 16:49   #39
BHPian

we don't need guns.
we need education.
we need poverty eradication.
we need good health.
we need more patience and tolerance.

speech over.applause..
doctorkats is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2007, 16:52   #40
BHPian

I cant agree more though what we need here is not an easy task since we are like 1/6 of worlds population
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
we don't need guns.
we need education.
we need poverty eradication.
we need good health.
we need more patience and tolerance.

speech over.applause..
Old 10th August 2007, 17:13   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Sam for the punctuation error.
OT, you can correct the error within 20 minutes of posting by using the EDIT button my friend. No need to make a new post.

No need to say sorry
Old 10th August 2007, 18:53   #42

i agree to shajufx opinions and feel that only the licensing and misuse should be stricter. i feel that only the law abiding citizens in this country suffer. anybody who is into anything illegal are the ones flourishing. Also if any antisocial wants a gun, he doesn't need to apply for a licence or buy it legally like the law abiding people, he would get it anyhow and carry on with his/her antisocial work ultimately making the law abiding people very vulnerable. if the law abiding people also gets a chance to own a gun legally, then they can protect thier basic right "to live without fear" to a certain extent. Lets not talk about cops trying to protect the people anymore as there are very few cops in the country who has some dignity and morals, others are all available to the highest bidders.
For myself, i have already applied for a licence and keeping my fingers crossed that my application is approved but then again i know that i have to pay some greens to get it approved.
Old 10th August 2007, 19:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

My brother's FIL owns a gun, and every year he has to report to a police station and declare that he still owns the gun. He told me that its a big pain to have a licence for a firearm, given that everytime there's some armed robbery in the vicinity, the police turn up at most of the households that own a gun.
Old 11th August 2007, 00:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Please keep me informed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykul View Post
For myself, i have already applied for a licence and keeping my fingers crossed that my application is approved but then again i know that i have to pay some greens to get it approved.
I would be happy to know the formalities and time taken for an approval. Please keep us posted. Every human being in his subconscious mind wants to be a HERO (never expressed outside due to social upbringing, rules of the nation, myths and misunderstandings injected into brains through education etc.) Even if you are physically very fragile, you still want to show your strength in some way or other. Its a basic human psychology. Here we need guns not for a war, not for an anti-social need, not for killing our fellow beings, not for creating a panic amoung the crowd, BUT;
01. Protect yourself and your dear ones, 02. Scare away anti-social evil, 03. Increase self confidence in tackling injustice in the soceity and many other legitimate needs. Again it comes down to what I mentioned in the earlier post, if licensing and approval are not done in a very strictly disciplined manner, it can only create a mess in the country.
Old 11th August 2007, 07:48   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
... ... ... So many gals in Delhi now carry pepper sprays in their bags and they feel less scared.
"Can you just hang on a minute... Hmmm... Maybe this pocket... No... Look, I'm sorry, you might find it quicker to attack someone else... This side? No... Just going to have to tip the whole lot out... Damn! I remember now: it's in the other bag! "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I quote you a quote from a stand up routine by Ediie Izzard (my Hero)
Brilliant!

seriously...

I'm a bit scared by the number of people who think it's a good idea. One such person is too many, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm even more scared by the fact that they may be the same people who think driving without seatbelt or helmet etc...

If anyone thinks that's offensive, well, sorry... but it's an offensive subject!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed