Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2007, 22:06   #91
Team-BHP Support

I lived in Coorg between 1979-82, and have witnessed the gun phenomena to some extent. Most home owners have them, and practically everyone knows how to use them. Nobody really carries them around, unless they are going for a hunt, so one doesn't have to worry about road-rage.

However, I was aware of many incidences of gun related domestic accidents. Almost none got reported to cops as murder, they were always accidents. I doubt these deaths would have occurred if they didn't have access to guns. I still remember one case where a woman shot her brother-in-law when she saw him getting a gun to threaten her husband. Easy to loose the nerve in presence of a gun.
Old 24th October 2007, 22:07   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
who wants to stay in US if a merc is available in india

nissan is doing good so far.

Heheh..totally agree with you..
Chalo India!
Old 11th December 2007, 19:35   #93
BANNED

Now in India too Student killed in school shootout near Delhi

Quote:
A class eight student was killed in a shootout in a private school in Haryana's Gurgaon district on Tuesday.

"Abhishek Tyagi, a class 8 student of Euro International School had picked up a fight with two fellow students a couple of days ago on the school bus. They made up two days ago. But suddenly the two boys in a fit of anger killed Abhishek as he was about to board the bus back home," a senior police official told rediff.com.

Police said two students, sons of property dealers, are believed to have fired five bullets from a licensed pistol at Abhishek.

The 14-year-old, who received four shots in all, including one in the temple and two on his chest from a close range, died on the way to hospital. No one else was injured in the shooting in the school in this prosperous satellite town outside Delhi.

The two boys have been detained by police.

Police said they would investigate how the pistol was brought to school and also question the parent who owns the license.

The school management is maintaining its silence on the issue.
Old 11th December 2007, 19:44   #94
Senior - BHPian

Imagine with such tight gun laws in India we see this occurring. Nothing against Delhi, but there definitely seems to be a gun culture there. Is it the failure of security and so people feel a need to have guns or is it because people want to show off?

No wonder in the US you have shootouts so regularly. Kid shot 8 guys in a mall. Two days back a guy who was prevented from entering a Mission church shot one person down there, then 12 hours later he went to another church and just when everyone was leaving, shot down 2 more. He was gunned down by a security guard.
Old 11th December 2007, 20:16   #95
Senior - BHPian

oh no! Looks like the India is trying to ape the US in every way possible. In a country where gun stores have easy access to all, its not surprising how so many such incidents have taken place in the US. But in India???
Hmm..I guess we'll start seeing more of such incidents.More money..more problems..
Old 12th December 2007, 11:26   #96
Senior - BHPian

SHOCKING to say the least. Dont know what else to say.
Old 19th February 2008, 20:54   #97
BANNED

400 are shot dead in NYC a year, in Delhi just 35
Quote:
New York is more violent a city than New Delhi, observes a noted criminologist.

Presenting a comparative picture of gun murders in the two cities before senior officials of the Central Bureau of Investigation in New Delhi on Tuesday, Lawrence Sherman, criminology professor at the University of Pennsylvania, said while there were 400 gun murders in New York in a year, the number was just nearly 35 in New Delhi.

Sherman observed that reducing the gun density in hot spots, particularly in violence-prone areas, will help reduce the crime graph. He also suggested that uniformed patrols be sent to the hot spots for brief visits rather than for longer patrols.

Elaborating on the comparative ratio, he said gun murders in Delhi were just three per million.

The criminology professor put the global trend of crime in three categories -- gun, cyber and domestic violence.

"Sting operations have proved to be successful in curbing cyber crimes and in cases of domestic violence, while arrests helped only in cases of employed people," he said.

Replying to a query, Sherman said that more research and experiments need to be done to bring crime rate down.

Dispelling doubts about the safety of Indian students studying in United States, the professor stated that freak incidents of violence should not cause anxiety amongst Indian students and their parents.

Professor Sherman has conducted field experiments to find effective ways to reduce homicide, domestic violence, gun violence, robbery, burglary and other crimes in collaboration with different police and prison agencies.
Old 19th February 2008, 21:18   #98
Senior - BHPian

With access to guns being so easy,its nothing surprising.
Look at how often shootouts take place in Universities.. Illinois being the most recent. Virginia Tech,Kentucky,Alabama..you name it,and there's been an incident there.
Surprising rise in the number of deaths among Indian students last year.

Its just insane! About time things were made a little more stringent.
Old 3rd March 2008, 16:36   #99

Many of you would recall the restrictive days of the license permit raj - motoring enthusiasts in those days were mostly condemned to make do with dated designs manufactured by companies who had a complete disregard for any quality standards. Things are thankfully different now, car enthusiasts can now walk into a showroom and buy the latest Honda or Mercedes - then why the heck are gun enthusiasts not similarly blessed?

I would like to point out that the UN with it's anti-gun agenda and the local IANSA funded anti-gun outfits have been claiming that India has more than 40 million firearms. Well, the year that the total no. of motor vehicles in India crossed that number was in 1998, when the total no. of vehicles on Indian roads was 41 million. While I have not been able to dig out stats on the total no. of road deaths that year ( a little bit of "gooling" should get you the figures), the total no. of reported road deaths in the year 2000 was 78,911 and this figure keeps climbing each year... Contrast that with the total no. of reported homicides in India that same year, which was 37,170. While I have not been able find data on how many of those homicides were committed using a gun, even if we were to assume that it was around the 30% mark (which I very much doubt) - the figures for firearms related deaths in India would be a small fraction of road deaths. So without a shred of doubt motor vehicles are more dangerous to the lives of our citizens... why isn't anyone howling for a total ban on motorised transport?

The United States with much freer gun laws (in most states) and many times more guns in civilian hands than in India had 12,658 reported homicides that same year. When we contrast those numbers with the total number of murders in India that year it is quite obvious that gun control does not work - so why continue to curtail the freedoms of our citizens by clinging on to an ideology that clearly is not delivering on it's promise?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Old 24th June 2008, 15:03   #100
BHPian

*bumping this thread up*

Does anyone own airguns here? I would love to buy a good one and practice shooting for the heck of it. It is great fun for sure. My grand dad had one but it does not work nowadays.

And shops in Chennai to but a good one from?
Old 24th June 2008, 17:51   #101
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing some firearm shops at the junction of Mount Road and Wallajah road. They must be having them.

BTW these air-guns are a big draw back home in Kerala, where many young guys use it to shoot birds (mainly kokku - is the English for that crane?). The guns are bought at Cochin, while the pellets are available even in small towns and come pretty cheap at 100 pellets for less than Rs20. Dont remember the cost of the gun though.
Old 24th June 2008, 18:06   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I remember seeing some firearm shops at the junction of Mount Road and Wallajah road. They must be having them.

BTW these air-guns are a big draw back home in Kerala, where many young guys use it to shoot birds (mainly kokku - is the English for that crane?). The guns are bought at Cochin, while the pellets are available even in small towns and come pretty cheap at 100 pellets for less than Rs20. Dont remember the cost of the gun though.
Thanks SB, how recently did you see those shops? I heard that there are some shops in Periamet.
Gun Street of Chennai - www.chennaibest.com

I certainly don't intend to shoot birds.
Just a little bit of practice on my terrace, imagining the target is my boss's head.
Old 24th June 2008, 18:14   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet View Post
Many of you would recall the restrictive days of the license permit raj - motoring enthusiasts in those days were mostly condemned to make do with dated designs manufactured by companies who had a complete disregard for any quality standards. Things are thankfully different now, car enthusiasts can now walk into a showroom and buy the latest Honda or Mercedes - then why the heck are gun enthusiasts not similarly blessed?

I would like to point out that the UN with it's anti-gun agenda and the local IANSA funded anti-gun outfits have been claiming that India has more than 40 million firearms. Well, the year that the total no. of motor vehicles in India crossed that number was in 1998, when the total no. of vehicles on Indian roads was 41 million. While I have not been able to dig out stats on the total no. of road deaths that year ( a little bit of "gooling" should get you the figures), the total no. of reported road deaths in the year 2000 was 78,911 and this figure keeps climbing each year... Contrast that with the total no. of reported homicides in India that same year, which was 37,170. While I have not been able find data on how many of those homicides were committed using a gun, even if we were to assume that it was around the 30% mark (which I very much doubt) - the figures for firearms related deaths in India would be a small fraction of road deaths. So without a shred of doubt motor vehicles are more dangerous to the lives of our citizens... why isn't anyone howling for a total ban on motorised transport?

The United States with much freer gun laws (in most states) and many times more guns in civilian hands than in India had 12,658 reported homicides that same year. When we contrast those numbers with the total number of murders in India that year it is quite obvious that gun control does not work - so why continue to curtail the freedoms of our citizens by clinging on to an ideology that clearly is not delivering on it's promise?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Abhijeet, it is the duty of strong and powerful to keep voiceless and defenseless people weak.

Similarly it is the duty of the weak to protect themselves with whatever weapons and methods they find it feasible.

When sufficient number of weak will bear weapons and arms then laws will change by itself to suit the new reality. The weak will never get power just by asking .. it has to be obtained by force.

this has always been the unwritten law of nature.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2008, 18:25   #104
Senior - BHPian

sB, it was 5k or so years back. You can also get pistols. Rifles are better though IMHO.
Old 24th June 2008, 18:44   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
sB, it was 5k or so years back. You can also get pistols. Rifles are better though IMHO.
So a good one will cost 5K?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks