Team-BHP - Gun Ownership
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Gun Ownership (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/27343-gun-ownership.html)

Photo Gallery: One Nation, Under Gun

Came across this very interesting link today while at work on MSNBC.
Considering the volatile environment we live in today (I speak for all Delhi NCR bhpians) , this comes as a revelation. What would happen if our gun laws were as pro guns for the people as the NRA National Rifle Association - NRA Website Gateway

I can certainly emphathise with all the victims of crime in Gurgaon, with the series of burgleries , road rage , car jackings etc., and its certainly not helping my feeling of security. I for one have been driving with my Central locking on for the past week.

I dont have any answers here,..only questions.:mad:

Much debated topic is should one possess a licensed gun for self defence. I strongly believe that one should possess a gun but use it only as a deterrent.

Torque-ative ... We shouldnt compare our country to a country which is made on the basis of gun. According to stats US has the maximum number of civilian deaths every year from gun fire ( >11,000 per year) . If every one is eligible for a gun here (especially in Delhi) I dont even want to imagine what will happen on the roads here... The kind of road rage people have in this city is mind boggling... people try to throw car drivers off the flyovers... people beat drivers to death...
What we need is better law and order not license to keep a gun.

Actually at an individual level (i mean sane individual) the concept of owning a gun appeals. But when you zoom out, the right to owning a firearm will apply to all in the society including the not so sane species which today may be at a majority.
Given the meek policing in our country at a macro level this would spell disaster for the society.

Go for the central locking.

that's a lot better than carrying a gun.

Is there no end to India wanting to become USA?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torque-ative (Post 526618)
I can certainly emphathise with all the victims of crime in Gurgaon, with the series of burgleries , road rage , car jackings etc.,

What if the country allowed Gun ownership and all the abovementioned antisocials carried guns too? Will issues be settled based on which one of you can draw faster than the other?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xbox360 (Post 526807)
Actually at an individual level (i mean sane individual) the concept of owning a gun appeals. But when you zoom out, the right to owning a firearm will apply to all in the society including the not so sane species which today may be at a majority.

Well said!

I like the idea of owning a gun. But the thought of the chap next to me also having one makes me feel happy about the status quo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rishibravo (Post 526656)
We shouldnt compare our country to a country which is made on the basis of gun.

Correct.

They sailed in there, boom boom, bang. Red Skins gone. God Bless America.

Statistical data has revealed that ANYONE who witnesses gun violence (especially at youth) are much more likely to pull the trigger themselves.

We have enough problems, why start new ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s0uljah (Post 526845)
Statistical data has revealed that ANYONE who witnesses gun violence (especially at youth) are much more likely to pull the trigger themselves.

Does this also apply to computer games & movies or only real-life? If so, I'm 'DOOM'ed :)

Getting a gun for everyone will not solve any problems. It will create new and uncontrollable problems.
Nowadays people are so stressed that they are just waiting to vent out their fury against any one. Imagine a gun in the hands of such person. I really dont want to imagine India becoming US

Anyhow to take a deviation, an individual in India can not own any effective sidearms like the 9mms or higher caliber. The 9mms can only be carried by the Police, while individuals can carry only .22 or lower caliber handguns.

Weapons give the wielder a High. Anybody who has wielded any weapon (not necessarily firearm) must have felt this emotion. More dangerous the weapon, more High. In fact it gives the urge to use it on something or somebody. It takes extensive weapons training to get over that urge.

People who would otherwise step back might actually step up and pull the trigger. That is the real danger of firearms, it can be deadly in the hands of any untrained person who can't restrain the urge to use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s0uljah (Post 526845)

Saw the SVU episode last weekend, did ya?

WoW ! Great words from the warrior himself :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 526864)
Weapons give the wielder a High. Anybody who has wielded any weapon (not necessarily firearm) must have felt this emotion. More dangerous the weapon, more High. In fact it gives the urge to use it on something or somebody. It takes extensive weapons training to get over that urge.

People who would otherwise step back might actually step up and pull the trigger. That is the real danger of firearms, it can be deadly in the hands of any untrained person who can't restrain the urge to use it.

just read this article today - what was apalling is that instead of trying to get rid of guns - more and more people are buying them. And allowing children to use it. The pictures show kids posing with the weapons. Everything is by the book and the 2nd amendment states that one is allowed to carry arms to protect - so my thought was a simple handgun like a pistol should do to protect - why must they get SLRs and sniper guns? its a weird society.