Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2024, 16:45   #46
BHPian

Re: The 90-day notice period rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I am assuming this is in Manufacturing. And they will always ask for more notice period as they dont jump jobs every year/2 years. That would be true in any part of the world including India.
Actually no. I've worked only with banking unions till date. You'd be surprised at the actual attrition and layoffs within banks and NBFCs in recent years (post 2020).

My point is, unions are quite clear in not allowing the notice period to be reduced, because they want the employees to get higher notice payout if laid off.

I don't have experience in IT, so the situation could well be different there.
Old 16th May 2024, 17:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
Actually no. I've worked only with banking unions till date. You'd be surprised at the actual attrition and layoffs within banks and NBFCs in recent years (post 2020).

My point is, unions are quite clear in not allowing the notice period to be reduced, because they want the employees to get higher notice payout if laid off.

I don't have experience in IT, so the situation could well be different there.
Like I mentioned earlier, higher notice period is good for employees during layoffs. But if you observe here, the employees are not happy with high notice period since they want to move out ASAP to a higher paying job.

In your banking/manufacturing industry, why would unions want to enforce high notice period in case of voluntary attrition?

My point is simple : both employee and employer signed the employment agreement on a specific notice period. Why crib about it later if it is not changed but enforced?
Old 16th May 2024, 19:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Last two jobs had notice period - first one 60 days of doing nothing. Last one - 90 days of basically gardening leave - work from home but there was no work.

As a manager, I have let employees who want to leave move in 30 days. It's actually detrimental to the team morale if a resigned employee sticks around for too long as he/she might take others with them.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th May 2024 at 20:38. Reason: Minor typos
Old 17th May 2024, 17:19   #49
BHPian

In my career, have seen extreme situations.
1. In my first job, upon resignation, my super boss asked "Where are you going ?" (& not why are you leaving ?). And he happily agreed for 15 days KT and 15 days buyout.
2. In an onsite-assignment, notice to pack-up by End of Day (budget cut) and asked to return to India within a week. Added to that was, recently moved to a new house and rental agreement was signed for 10 months.
3. In my last job, have been tasked to stay for 8 months from the intimation. I was retiring at 40, anyway.

So, long story short - there is no yardstick for how much or how little notice period is acceptable by both parties.

But, as a Manager, what I learned from my first job (/boss) is "everyone is replaceable".

So, if someone from the team went out for a job hunt and successful in getting a new job with a good pay hike, it is in the interest of both Employer and Employee - that they should have the 'Exit Interview' as soon as resignation is given. And set the date.

That way, the outgoing employee will perform his/her duties till the last working day - because they are paid for it !.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks