Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2024, 21:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Climate activists want airplanes grounded | Protest at Munich Airport leads to flight cancellati

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post

Where do you usually search for these studies? Just wondering why you did not find one.
I was exposed to many studies and interviews regarding Climate change. However, I did not find a study or body of work that rationalizes impact attributable to Human interference. Even if we did find such work (For example : https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/syr/d...R6_SYR_SPM.pdf), I haven't found the recommendations well researched or even practical.

All studies are generally laid out in the below format :

#1 : Projection : A projection of temperatures and predictions about living conditions 50 -100 years into the future. These are almost always alarming and shown in a negative sense. The attribution for this is almost always Industrialization.

#2 : Solution : The proposed solutions are very extreme too. For example, Lets stop air travel or lets restrict usage of cars or lets not manufacture things. There is limited information about what such interventions will actually achieve.

For every one interview which claims climate change is real, there is one which says its not and a ploy by XYZ government to restrict development.

Going back to the opening post of this thread, a few activists glued themselves to the runway. What for ? What did they intend to achieve by inconveniencing the very people they wish to convince ?
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 10:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Climate activists want airplanes grounded | Protest at Munich Airport leads to flight cancellati

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Going back to the opening post of this thread, a few activists glued themselves to the runway. What for ? What did they intend to achieve by inconveniencing the very people they wish to convince ?
These kids aren't trying to convince anyone, they know from hurt feelings that they are right. They also believe in climate change, which does away with need for any evidence. If you read the tone of those supporting the protestors, it's pretty clear that they " know" what the weather will be like in 100 years. Those supporting the protesters also keep multiple homes and cars, but they don't want you having any of that.

Thanks for sharing the ipcc document itself, basically shows manufactured consensus and conformity to the current thing. I couldn't watch that cringe DW propaganda for more than 10 seconds.

The idiot protesters of the 60s became the generation that sold out their countries' industry for share price manipulation. The protest ended when college students were exempted from the draft, basically the selfish rabble were OK with poorer people dying. Rinse and repeat for the weather.

Those who are convinced about the future bad weather, start at home. Use hand spun cloth, stop using modern transport and stick to snail mail, let us know how quickly you can scale this to suit the needs of 1.5 billion people. Get this simple fact into your heads before you push wind or solar, that installed capacity in not the same as available energy. There are no rich, low energy countries, see graph below from the IEA.
Attached Thumbnails
Climate activists want airplanes grounded | Protest at Munich Airport leads to flight cancellations-20240522_101201.jpg  

avira_tk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 11:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Those who are convinced about the future bad weather, start at home. Use hand spun cloth, stop using modern transport and stick to snail mail, let us know how quickly you can scale this to suit the needs of 1.5 billion people. Get this simple fact into your heads before you push wind or solar, that installed capacity in not the same as available energy. There are no rich, low energy countries, see graph below from the IEA.
Thanks for affirming the running sentiment among most human beings;
classic case of somebody else's problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I think a better approach would be to acknowledge that ... human beings can buy themselves out of bad situation.
The only issue with this ostrich approach is that if climate situation does go unfavorable, it will become unfavorable for the rich also. And then I don't see new financial instruments that could possibly buy peace and comfort for the rich and shift the burden to poor.

We have no idea whether we would have sufficient disposable energy and technological means to control the nature this time.
The last I recollect: We still haven't conquered storms, hurricanes, tornados, droughts, famines, landslides, ...
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 12:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
The topic of climate change has been in vogue since many years now, the rock stars keep changing ( remember Greta T ? ) .
I am probably older than you . I remember Al Gore and his 2006 documentary "An Inconvenient Truth".

In fact, Gore couldn't even convince his fellow Democrat and ex-president Barack Obama of the dangers of climate change. Soon after President Obama demitted office, he went on to buy a luxury mansion at Martha's Vineyard, an exclusive island for super rich off the east coast of US; the area - every hollywood watching kid knows - that would be the first to be affected by climate change.

Or perhaps, the west coast is safer? Probably why 'climate activists' Prince Harry and Megan Markle bought their 9-bedroom sea facing home at Santa Barbara, CA?

Top tier hypocrisy!

Last edited by DigitalOne : 23rd May 2024 at 13:05.
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 10:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

'Just stop oil' has sprayed some sort of powder paint on Stonehenge. Apparently, it will wash of easily, but I think at this point, this sort of protest is becoming just attention-seeking and counterproductive.

And I say this as someone very sympathetic to the cause of climate change. But if you read the coverage, it does nothing to highlight the climate issues the protestors are trying to highlight and it focuses more on the vandalism. The only thing it does is put a spotlight on the agency behind it and not in a positive light. Readers are unlikely to want to know more about the group and their aims. I don't see the value in that case.

Protest at an oil refinery, makes sense. They've already been targeting works of art by throwing paint on them, so, those are now behind protective screens in museums the world over. Imagine if one of these groups defiles a truly beloved national monument- pink paint on the Taj Mahal? The result of such actions is going to cause increased security and increased visitor inconvenience to such monuments the world over. As I posted before, that is going to alienate the very people who they need on board to push these crucial changes through.

Last edited by am1m : 20th June 2024 at 10:17.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed