Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2007, 21:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indian Football Finally alive, won Nehru Cup

Indian Football team today won the Nehru Cup after defeating Syria. Under Coach Bob Houghton we finally reached the first stages of nirvana after winning over the much more powerful and superior Syria today.

The goal scored in the 44th minute from the Indian side was the only goal of the match. A sweet revenge of the defeat we had in the quarters in their hands.

The question I have is, how will they perform in the FIFA Asian qualifiers.

we currently rank 151 (before our last 3 wins) while Syria ranks 113.

Team-bhp's views and comments on this?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 29th August 2007 at 21:39.
Old 29th August 2007, 23:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yay - Thats GREAT news. Finally we have something to show off in the Football world. We played like a team this time round.

3 cheers to the Indian Team. May we continue and get more glory in the future.

Chak De India.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 29th August 2007 at 23:31.
Old 29th August 2007, 23:29   #3
BANNED

WOWOWWOWOWOWWWEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :
That's some wonderful news.

Now, can we please qualify for a worldcup? Come On! With the willpower and correct guidance, we may!
Old 30th August 2007, 00:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Now thats a pleasant way to follow it up Chak De India

manson.
Old 30th August 2007, 00:11   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Thats some brilliant news. I just wish the facilities at the ground levels pick up and there is proper training given to people keen on playing football. Back when I was selected for the state team, all we could do is get onto the field and play matches. Or jog a few rounds. There was no one to teach us the importance of dribbling, how to defend, attack etc. Hope things have changed now.
Old 30th August 2007, 00:28   #6
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Now, can we please qualify for a worldcup? Come On! With the willpower and correct guidance, we may!
The main reason we will not qualify for the World Cup is that our players cannot match the physical strength or fitness levels of those from the West. Football is as much a physical game as it is a game of skills. No amount of willpower or guidance can change this basic reality. And the top teams use advanced techniques not only to develop skills, but also to manage fitness/injury.
Old 30th August 2007, 00:35   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
The main reason we will not qualify for the World Cup is that our players cannot match the physical strength or fitness levels of those from the West.
Infact, the main reason is the fact that we do not have a competitive spirit instilled in the game planning. Specially at the root levels. How many times have you seen teams planning out a strategy? The coach telling them how to suck a team into making a defensive mistake so that we could capitalize on? The mantra has always been get onto the field and figure it out. With this kind of training we are not going to win many matches at a competitive level.

What we need is like I mentioned before a set of people who tell us the importance of different aspects of the game like attacking, defending, goal keeping, marking one on one, dribbling etc. And most importantly the need for a game strategy and a good study of the opposition. We have the skills no doubt, but its not harnessed well.
Old 30th August 2007, 00:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

That's a very good news. I am not a Football follower, but followed this tournament. Think I should follow football regularly now
Old 30th August 2007, 01:11   #9
BHPian

I wish I could have been there to witness that. But some client meetings came up at the last minute.

Nonetheless, congratulations to all Indians. It is high time we looked beyond cricket and gave the due respect to football which is a proper game played competitively the world over, and not in 8-9 countries. Come on India!

Forget the Gentlemen's game and lets get physical. Bring on football..
Old 30th August 2007, 01:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Infact, the main reason is the fact that we do not have a competitive spirit instilled in the game planning. Specially at the root levels. How many times have you seen teams planning out a strategy? The coach telling them how to suck a team into making a defensive mistake so that we could capitalize on? The mantra has always been get onto the field and figure it out. With this kind of training we are not going to win many matches at a competitive level.

What we need is like I mentioned before a set of people who tell us the importance of different aspects of the game like attacking, defending, goal keeping, marking one on one, dribbling etc. And most importantly the need for a game strategy and a good study of the opposition. We have the skills no doubt, but its not harnessed well.
There are a lot of factors responsible. The infrastructure at the grass roots level has to be top priority. The coaches at the junior level have to not only teach the kids how to kick a ball, but make them learn the technical aspects of it at a young age. We are right now focussig on getting coaches for the senior team to impart this technical knowledge. Trust me, coming from a football family (Dad represented India, now is a pro coach), you can't teach the senior players to adapt to an alien system so quickly. They have to grow up with it to stand any chance to compete with the established footbaling nations.

Our players have the skill, ball control and the passing ability. But if you you play on bumpy and barren grounds, it doesn't give you a chance to use that skill as you are always worried about the unpredictable nature of the surface.

If you don't give the youngsters proper fields to play on, they won't take the game too seriously. We need the government and the corporate world to put their money behind this beautiful game. If a player does not get financial security from the game, he would never give his 100% for it.

I can go on and on. Sorry for the emotional outburst.
Old 30th August 2007, 01:35   #11
BANNED

Nitin I completely agree with you on this one. Infact if you notice my post I have mentioned about these facilities lacking at the "root levels" itself. Unless are foundation is strong there is not much one can do. I do pray that this trend changes. Football is really a wonderful game and one that is really close to my heart.
Old 30th August 2007, 08:52   #12
BHPian

Ah finally India has done something cool in the world of sports! Congratulations Team India! Its high time hockey and football get their due share in India. I am sick of seeing those fat overpaid cricketers lose match after match against teeny tiny teams.

And I think its a total myth that Indians are physically "weak" or anything.
Its not that the whites or blacks or whatever are physically or genetically superior to Indians. If that was the case why isn't USA or Canada at top ? They are all predominantly white right? That's because they don't have interest in football in North America. Here in Toronto I have seen tons of white/black people that I can make mincemeat out of any time of the day. And in my class in India, I wasn;t even the strongest or the one with the most stamina.

In the west they just catch the talent at young age and nurture them with proper nutrition, training etc.

I don't remember correctly(maybe Nitin can help me here), India reached the finals or semifinals in Olympics in the 50s. And in the 20s or 30s, Indian club Mohan Bagan, playing barefooted defeated some English club which was properly trained and clothed etc. And all this happened at a time when pretty much everybody in India didn't have "do waqt ki roti". Now with the increasing riches, the kids are getting proper foods from younger age, and if they are honed correctly we may a few winners in our hands.

But ofcourse the big question to ask is: Will the players' parents allow them to pursue a career in football or hockey?Or will they tell them to go to college and get a normal job?
Old 30th August 2007, 10:19   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P
But ofcourse the big question to ask is: Will the players' parents allow them to pursue a career in football or hockey?Or will they tell them to go to college and get a normal job?
Don't know about other parents, but my parents certainly didn't let me pursue playing cricket and football for the state teams. At 10 years of age, they thought my studies were more important. 12 years later I have totally given up playing the games. I can't remember when was the last time I held a bat or dribbled a football.
Old 30th August 2007, 10:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to the Indian Football team and coach Bob Houghton!

Hope this great win will spur the youngsters in our country to play & take-up Football seriously and hope the Govt improves the infrastructure for sports like Football, Hockey etc.

Last edited by finneyp : 30th August 2007 at 10:42.
Old 30th August 2007, 11:26   #15
Team-BHP Support

Finally, Indian football has more to it than just Baichung Bhutia or Vijayan. It has a trophy to display for having won a tournament. Congrats to the team. Although i didnt watch the match, i am happy for them.
Its just a solitary goal which can make a difference, and it was good that they held on to that slender lead to the very end.

As for why the game isnt taking up in the country, its all down to the way the game is perceived, and we all know how it doesnt really pay to be a footballer in our country. There does seem to be a start with clubs getting in players from other countries and its beginning to show. Just hope the interest doesnt fizzle out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks