Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2007, 01:40   #16
BHPian

I think you all have missed the point Kvish is making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I see quite a few these days!!. At first glance it is hard to figure out!!

On a serious note I find such cases actually annoying. These days a lot of people are buying vehicles from Hosur and AP border and driving back. Saving quite a lot in road tax. However, tax is paid for roads they dont use and none to where they actually drive!! Now with these gimmicks its hard to nail them down.

I am sure very soon we will see a law saying only KA vehicles can have the previlege to have Kannada number plates!!.

PS: For people who are unaware of Kannada script, thats an AP regd vehicle written in Kannada.
His point is that vehicles are being purchased in AP and being brought to Banglore (lower taxes?) which he thinks is wrong.

My answer is that, it is not wrong as long as it is not illegal. So what if he paid tax to AP and driving in karnataka, the tax has been paid. It is not like karnataka is losing major revenue due to this practice. Even if they have all that money, the roads will not see any improvement anyway.
Old 31st August 2007, 06:00   #17
Team-BHP Support

During the Raj kumar kidnapping, a colleague of mine changed his TN plates to kannada script and no one touched him
Old 31st August 2007, 09:57   #18
Team-BHP Support

Nothing new about this, here in Bangalore. Its quite common to see vehicles with their number plates in the regional language.

As mentioned by the others, cops turn a blind eye to such cases. they would rather pick on some guy where they can be assured they would make a fast buck.
Old 31st August 2007, 10:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

There is a variation to it, the Karnataka govt came out with a KMV act which states that you can have a Kannada Number plate on your vehicle in Karnataka, yes you read it right, Number plate written in Kannada, provided you also adhere to the CMV act related to the Number plate. i.e. You can have a Kannada number plate as long as it accompanied with a Roman script meeting CMV rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
What you people have missed out on is what is the position of the MV Act on this. This is a violation of the applicable laws. You can not have number plates in anything except in Roman script. In fact even for Roman script there are very clear guidlines on the size of the plate, the width and height of the characters and the font to be used. So regional language plates are definitely illegal. RTO can challan you for this offence alone.

However this practice is there in many other states like Maharashtra, UP, MP etc. In Maharashtra police catch hold of people whenever they need to make some quick bucks. If not the regional language plates most others get caught because they have those odd shaped plates (batman ones are very common in bikes) or digital fonts etc.

Now you know... they can not. That will fly against the MV Act. No state can make such unilateral local rules. Number plates are there so that people can note down the number if required. Which means it has to be in a language that most can read. On the otehr hand RTA can very easily stop this guy because even if they do not get the AP registration part at first glance they will immediately know that it is a regional language plate and hence prime material for issuing a challan.
Old 31st August 2007, 10:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am damn sure this is not allowed in any state. Maybe the cops think it is a nice way to demonstrate one's love for the local language.
Old 31st August 2007, 10:34   #21
BHPian

IIRC i had read in newspaper around a year back that karnataka government has given provision for have only 1 number plate (front / back) in regional language.
but am not sure.
Old 31st August 2007, 10:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thats exactly their motive, not anything else or upkeeping the law, btw this is the fine for an outstate vehicle in Karnataka.

Quote:
6. Plying a vehicle with a Regn. mark of other State for more than 12 months.

Section 47 read with section 177 0f the MV Act Fine Rs. 100/-
Just read him the section/rule number, I am sure he will come down to bribing himself than cutting a challan.

KA RTO fine tariff link

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
As mentioned by the others, cops turn a blind eye to such cases. they would rather pick on some guy where they can be assured they would make a fast buck.
Old 31st August 2007, 10:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thats what I referred to, but its not 1 number plate they cannot circumvent the CMV, so they gave provision to write both English and Kannada script on the number plate, English is compulsary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_ms View Post
IIRC i had read in newspaper around a year back that karnataka government has given provision for have only 1 number plate (front / back) in regional language.
but am not sure.
Old 31st August 2007, 10:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Even the government vehicles adhere to the CMV act. A kannada name plate is in addition to the mandatory english ones. There is no breaking of rules for being patriotic. Lot of commercial vehicles do this too.
Old 31st August 2007, 10:54   #25
BHPian

I had contemplated doing this long time back, but found it stupid, a police guy will be able to pick it up better than a number written in english with fancy lettering.

Ended up paying road tax for the bike.
Old 31st August 2007, 11:19   #26
BHPian

OT:

I have seen many cars, esp NEW SWIFTS on Brigade rd, lavelle rd, etc in BLR, without Number plate, not even the temporaty ones. Is it legal to drive withour a number plate ?

I was just wondering
Old 31st August 2007, 11:37   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Indian ingenuity never fails to amaze me.....the lengths people will go to.
Old 31st August 2007, 11:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
My answer is that, it is not wrong as long as it is not illegal. So what if he paid tax to AP and driving in karnataka, the tax has been paid. It is not like karnataka is losing major revenue due to this practice. Even if they have all that money, the roads will not see any improvement anyway.
Correct me if I am wrong, but lifetime road tax goes to state govt and not central govt, which is the sole reason why different states are free to have diff tax structures. So a person going all the way to AP/TN to buy a bike pays road tax that goes straight to the respective state govts.

Whether there is any improvement or not is a different topic altogether. But if one coughs up so much money on taxes and see these people pass by with such gimmicks, it is not very encouraging :-)

The point being brought out as to how useful is it, is something that is very valid, but the fact that I see so many people doing it means there is something they know that we dont !!
Old 31st August 2007, 12:40   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
The point being brought out as to how useful is it, is something that is very valid, but the fact that I see so many people doing it means there is something they know that we dont !!
This practice has been in vogue for ages. There was a time when many people in Kerala would buy their cars from Pondicherry where the road taxes were much lower, and enjoy driving these around in Kerala.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:49   #30
BHPian

[quote=benbsb29;549186]Nothing new about this, here in Bangalore. Its quite common to see vehicles with their number plates in the regional language. [quote]

True, also check out the BMTC Buses in b'lore. The reg no's are mostly written in Kannada.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks