Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2007, 20:47   #1
BHPian

New strategy for evading the RTO

I see quite a few these days!!. At first glance it is hard to figure out!!

On a serious note I find such cases actually annoying. These days a lot of people are buying vehicles from Hosur and AP border and driving back. Saving quite a lot in road tax. However, tax is paid for roads they dont use and none to where they actually drive!! Now with these gimmicks its hard to nail them down.

I am sure very soon we will see a law saying only KA vehicles can have the previlege to have Kannada number plates!!.

PS: For people who are unaware of Kannada script, thats an AP regd vehicle written in Kannada.

Last edited by kvish : 30th August 2007 at 20:49.
Old 30th August 2007, 20:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think its easier for policemen to read these plates

I have asked many people why they do it. Most common answer is they feel safe nobody will recognize the numbers in case of fast getaways. How many times they are involved in fast getways? None. I guess they feel somewhat stealth & so safe with this.
Old 30th August 2007, 20:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

quite funny.. i have seen KA registered vehichles (cars....one in my office even)...with K removed carefully..RTO might guess that its AP...but the position of A would be closer to the numbers that it would be in AP with P rubbed off...
I think a rotating james bond plate is quite useful..
as ford fusion AD says...anything karega...
Old 30th August 2007, 21:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

This practice has been there for ages,wherein bikes registered in other states sport a number plate in kannada.

I had done this way back during my college days when I was using a friends KL registered bike.
Old 30th August 2007, 22:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
This practice has been there for ages,wherein bikes registered in other states sport a number plate in kannada.
Not at all fair, since people from other states can't read the number, in case of an accident/crime.
Old 30th August 2007, 22:22   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not at all fair, since people from other states can't read the number, in case of an accident/crime.
Absolutely. Ridiculous to have local lingo plates.
Old 30th August 2007, 22:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Absolutely. Ridiculous to have local lingo plates.
Well cant really help, thats how it is here. Surprisingly no other states follow suit, any pointers if some other state has the same kinda thing ?
Old 30th August 2007, 23:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

Not sure how this evades the RTO chaps and police, most of them use Kannada script for their daily official reports.
Old 30th August 2007, 23:33   #9
BHPian

A big shame that people actually do this. What does it take for people to follow the rules? :(
Old 30th August 2007, 23:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

What you people have missed out on is what is the position of the MV Act on this. This is a violation of the applicable laws. You can not have number plates in anything except in Roman script. In fact even for Roman script there are very clear guidlines on the size of the plate, the width and height of the characters and the font to be used. So regional language plates are definitely illegal. RTO can challan you for this offence alone.

However this practice is there in many other states like Maharashtra, UP, MP etc. In Maharashtra police catch hold of people whenever they need to make some quick bucks. If not the regional language plates most others get caught because they have those odd shaped plates (batman ones are very common in bikes) or digital fonts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I am sure very soon we will see a law saying only KA vehicles can have the previlege to have Kannada number plates!!.
Now you know... they can not. That will fly against the MV Act. No state can make such unilateral local rules. Number plates are there so that people can note down the number if required. Which means it has to be in a language that most can read. On the otehr hand RTA can very easily stop this guy because even if they do not get the AP registration part at first glance they will immediately know that it is a regional language plate and hence prime material for issuing a challan.

Last edited by Zappo : 30th August 2007 at 23:58.
Old 31st August 2007, 00:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

There are also quite a few bikers who ride around with number plates displaying a TC registration (temporary) but on White and Black plates.
Old 31st August 2007, 01:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudarshansarma View Post
A big shame that people actually do this. What does it take for people to follow the rules? :(
So do we have a rule here which says you cant do sucha thing as mentioned by Zappo ?
If yes the cops here are simply over-looking the same.

Also its nothing new in bangy @least that you find vehicles with such number plates.Read govt vehicles !!

Bangalore chaps should be aware of this.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 31st August 2007 at 01:04.
Old 31st August 2007, 01:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I had done this way back during my college days when I was using a friends KL registered bike.
Was this a silver CBZ, by any chance?
Old 31st August 2007, 01:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Zappo is right. Such a rule exists.
Old 31st August 2007, 01:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Akshay nopes was a shogun. Used the bike for about a month or so and then sent it back to Kerala.

Quote:
Zappo is right. Such a rule exists.
Well then blame our ignoramus cops who simply are least bothered about this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks