Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 15:22   #31
BANNED

Re: Indian Hockey Thread: "Chak de India"

If they want money ask the hockey players to play cricket.

And if they are in hockey then they get all they want to play it at the top level.

If they are in the game only for the money. Then bad for them.

They are trying to cash on their one good performance. Keep it up bring back the people to the sport. Right now they look like they are out with their begging bowls.

Money has never guaranteed performance for any sport.

Please stop making cricket the reason for other sports to go bad. Its not the case. And please don't mix administration to the argument. We are purely talking at an individual players perspective.
Old 14th September 2011, 15:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Babu's won't change. So lets change one thing. Make cricket national game. Lets stop this farce of calling Hockey our national game and treating it like dirt.

On the related note lets get rid of Tiger also as our National animal. The way its getting hunted to extinction makes me feel sick.

Lets stop the farce.
End of Rant.
Old 14th September 2011, 15:28   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

And if they are in hockey then they get all they want to play it at the top level.

They are trying to cash on their one good performance. Keep it up bring back the people to the sport. Right now they look like they are out with their begging bowls.

Money has never guaranteed performance for any sport.

Please stop making cricket the reason for other sports to go bad. Its not the case. And please don't mix administration to the argument. We are purely talking at an individual players perspective.
Money is never a major issue with a good performer.
But if after a great performance my employer gives me a year end bonus of 25k, I will be pissed.
Please note Bonus is not part of my CTC.

Getting a paltry sum is way more insulting than getting nothing.
Old 14th September 2011, 15:46   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But if after a great performance my employer gives me a year end bonus of 25k, I will be pissed.
So does your maid ask you why she does not get the same bonus as you get in office?

Quote:
Getting a paltry sum is way more insulting than getting nothing.
So what are the thresholds for it? Are there any definitions for paltry, exact, too much or exorbitant while giving out money for a good performance.
Old 14th September 2011, 15:50   #35
BANNED

Our system will not even allow our players to play in the foreign leagues and make some money - remember the furore about Dhanraj Pillai playing in the German league.
Old 14th September 2011, 16:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
So lets change one thing. Make cricket national game. Lets stop this farce of calling Hockey our national game and treating it like dirt.
I agree. When hockey was made India's national game, India was one of the top teams in hockey and nowhere in cricket. Tables have turned now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Our system will not even allow our players to play in the foreign leagues and make some money - remember the furore about Dhanraj Pillai playing in the German league.
If thats true, then we need some reforms on Hockey is run in India. Hockey board has to create opportunities for its players.

Regarding to sponsors, its vicious circle - sponsors come if team or individual is recognized by public. Public recognize when there is good performance, consistently.

Cricket in India would have found difficult to find sponsors in 50s, 60s, like in Hockey right now. The current money in cricket is due to consistent good individual/team performances in 70s, 80s & 90s.
Old 14th September 2011, 16:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

I am happy for the hockey players they are at least in a position to refuse the 25K award... Somethings have improved in the last 3-4 years. Else, they would have been morally/financially forced to live with this ALMS given by the government.

Things have looked up surely!!
Old 14th September 2011, 19:33   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So does your maid ask you why she does not get the same bonus as you get in office?
My maid just got a months pay along with last month salary.
I have been doing this every Ramzan every year.

But can we avoid comparing a championship winning team with regular salaried employees who are doing nothing to make my country proud.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

They changed the conventional way of spot Penalty corners?? So what do you guys think, is this a better way or the old way was better??

I think this is better, since it gives equal opportunity to the goal keeper and tests the skill of the attacker also!!
Old 14th September 2011, 19:53   #40
BHPian

I do not support the Indian Hockey team in their rejection of 25k reward. Playing for the country should always be a matter of pride. Having said that, i do understand where they are coming from, their stance is a reflection of state of affairs of this country. Too much money, too little character.

Last edited by Elito11 : 14th September 2011 at 19:56.
Old 14th September 2011, 20:06   #41
BANNED

Check what Yuvraj Walmiki says about clubbing cricket and hockey together.

Brilliant quote Yuvraj Walmiki. You are what we call a real sportsman.
Old 15th September 2011, 09:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Nice. Good video there Vivek. Been a while since i watched a game but am surprised they have made away with Penalty stroke style of penalty shootout. This one is way better as it gives some scope for the goalkeeper rather than being a one sided eevent.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats to the Indian Team. I am going to have a smile on my face whole day tomorrow.
Quote:
Sorry for my rant, but your two posts above are so contradicting.
I know, we all are happy that we won the Asian trophy, but to label them as beggars is not done.

Accepting a paltry sum of 25K would have dealt a big blow to their self respect. Come'on, they are playing for the country and not for sum local leagues. They should be respected for what they achieved.

Atleast by rejecting the pitiable sum of 25k, they have saved themselves from a lot of self humiliation. They preserved their pride.

To say that they cashing out of their performance is so preposterous.
I agree that money doesn't guarantee performance but then bulldozing their self-esteem and pride would also not yield any results.

But then these days, money is the motivation or else why do you think Cricket is so big today?
Excuse me for the rant again, but couldn't hold back!!
Old 15th September 2011, 11:53   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Sorry for my rant, but your two posts above are so contradicting.
Sir. The posts are at two different times. First is when they won it. Second is after they started demanding for money for winning one championship.

If they are so good let them keep winning and then start demanding.

25k is paltry lets agree for argument sake and 1.5 lakhs is?

My point is, its not about money when it comes to the nation. How come you guys never come on the papers when Jawans lose their lives for the nation. How much do they get 25k or paltry? LOL!! We are a nation of hypocrites.

Last edited by Spitfire : 15th September 2011 at 11:55.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Second is after they started demanding for money for winning one championship.
If they are so good let them keep winning and then start demanding.
25k is paltry lets agree for argument sake and 1.5 lakhs is?
Well they deserve more, what's wrong in asking??Even our famed Indian cricket team were not happy with the awards announced for them, and they showed their displeasure and then got their famed 1.5crores award.
So what's wrong??

Quote:
My point is, its not about money when it comes to the nation.
Exactly, either don't give them anything or give them something significant to show your appreciation.
But just don't belittle their achievement and pride by offering as paltry as 25K for the national players.

Quote:
How come you guys never come on the papers when Jawans lose their lives for the nation. How much do they get 25k or paltry? LOL!! We are a nation of hypocrites.
I am sure all of us are equally or more concerned about the sorry state of our jawans. But we are discussing Hockey here!!
Lol!! yeah we all are citizen of the same country !! Hypocrites , all of us

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks