Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2007, 11:23   #1
BHPian

Is this plagiarism or mental bankruptcy - TOI has picked up content from this board!

I don't know whether to call this a plagiarism or mental bankruptcy.

Today Times of India, Bangalore edition is carrying an article on imported superbikes in the auto supplement with a title "Are superbikes legal". Here is the link (you may have to register to see it.)

[FONT=Arial]http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOI&B aseHref=TOIBG/2007/09/06&PageLabel=32&EntityId=Ar03200&ViewMode=HTML&GZ= T[/FONT]

Looks like some of the matter is lifted from RTech's well written article posted on team-bhp, link below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/everyt...ike-india.html

To me this is sheer plagiarism by the times journalist unless RTech's name is Shahwar Hussain and he himself has written this article.

One of the major reasons why there is not much credibility attached to most of the auto supplements provided by major news papers.

Was wondering if Team-bhp owns the copyright for any material posted on this site and can prevent reproduction of information without permission.

Anybody else has similar observations, comments. Moderators please move this thread if I have placed it in wrong place.
Old 6th September 2007, 12:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Went through the article you mentioned and while it is clear that the T-BHP article was in front while the author was penning this down, it really can't be construed as plagiarism. More like using our article as a guide, which is really what they are supposed to be.

Thanks for the concern though, but I think we can close this thread for now.
Old 6th September 2007, 12:03   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... its really difficult to pin them down on this I think. They have just picked up portions which are bare facts mentioned by RTech in his article. And then the the TOI author has changed the language subtly. So what is left now looks like identifiable facts which none of us can claim a right to ownership. TOI will simply say their author did research from 100s of sources and give many such bull to prove how diligent they are to present correct facts. And in the course of doing their research the author would have read our article as well.

If only we could pin them down on some of the things... may be the figures? Now those figures can not be any standardized, documented figures but if they match exactly to RTech's top of the hat estimate, maybe... but even that is a long shot.

EDIT: Ok, so RTech has already posted his view as I see now. And he is right. It happens dude. You win some you loose some. But thanks for your concern.

Last edited by Zappo : 6th September 2007 at 12:04.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed