Team-BHP - Wanted Ambassador Mark 1
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Wanted Ambassador Mark 1 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/28626-wanted-ambassador-mark-1-a.html)

(For a friend of mine, not for me)

In decent condition - some amount of restoration can be done but not a complete restoration. Exterior should be original, not modified to Mark II, III, IV etc.

Condition of engine does not matter because he plans to plonk in an old side-valve engine that he had in hand.

However interiors, dials, et al should be original. Especially the dials.

Preferred registration - KL, TN, KA (easier to cart down to Kerala). However he's willing to look at other registrations if the car is worth the effort.

Please send PMs to me or BHPian PeeVee.

I thought you had found one while in Coimbatore?

Why from 1962 only ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 558826)
Why from 1962 only ?

Dunno Rudra - buyer's specifications. I think he's sentimental about his dad's old '62 Mark I which his family sold. So I think he wants a Mark I, though he wants a '62.

Done up in black it would look quite a Gangsta car. There was a BEAUTIFUL (thats the only word I can think of - it was that well maintained) Landmaster/Mark I with the round boot in the Malayalam movie Ali Bhai that I fell for personally - has a Calicut registration and is in better-than-showroom condition.

@ Robin - nope the one in CBE was in pretty bad condition.

Do you want something like this? Its a 61 model and is for sale.

I've been monitoring the scrap market for a Mark1 ,for sometime now.
But, there are plenty of Mark2 in the market. I showed Stanher a couple of those with the original console/meters.

U'll be the first to know if I find a Mark1,Steer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 558842)

There was a BEAUTIFUL (thats the only word I can think of - it was that well maintained) Landmaster/Mark I with the round boot in the Malayalam movie Ali Bhai that I fell for personally - has a Calicut registration and is in better-than-showroom condition.

IIRC, Landmaster was only Landmaster, no Mark-I, etc.
Even Ambassador was only Ambassador until Mark-II appeared.

Quote:

Originally Posted by directinjection (Post 558997)
IIRC, Landmaster was only Landmaster, no Mark-I, etc.
Even Ambassador was only Ambassador until Mark-II appeared.

Nope! the mark 1 has a landmaster front and an ambassador rear with the two piec tail lamps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 559082)
Nope! the mark 1 has a landmaster front and an ambassador rear with the two piec tail lamps.

Please take a careful look at the picture in post no. 5 below.
It shows a 1961 model Ambassador which could be called Mark-I, though the model designation did not exist officially.

Now, where is the Landmaster front that you talk about?

Here's a link to Landmaster's pic, to make things more clear:

CYBERSTEERING - Spot the Car Contest ANSWER - 1957 Hindustan Landmaster

This is a landmaster chanracterised by no tail fins, sidevalve engine and flat bonnet, besides a different dash, launched in 54.

This is the Ambassador, launched in 57 upto 63. It grew fins and a humped bonnet, but lost side trim. In 63ish was launched the Mark 2, which is why the earlier amby was then referred to as a Mark 1, and so will I. The earliest mark 1 also came with the sidevalve engine and semaphores. Mark1 and some Mark 2s came with two seperate lights for tail and indicator. Later mark 2s had one piece units. Mark 2s also got small bumper guards. Later mark 1s lost the semaphores and side valve engine.

For more, see post number 2 here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-classics.html

And since a KL regd black 62 is what is apparently required, I must share this pic with you, one of the 13 Ambys by grandfather went through! (He was transferred every year and always bought a second amby wherever he went, leaving the old one behind). I still have the Smiths clock from this car.

@steer, there is one in cochin... was askin around 75k for it... dunno how orig it is.....i'll try to get more details.

The interior of the landmaster isshown in an earlier post
This is the int of the mark 1(sorry 4 da poor pix)

the horn ring is gold due to some rust protector!!

Heres another Mark 1 interior pic. The colours aren't stock!

karl, did mark 1's ever come with a 2 tone scheme??? coz friend has a blk & white one, i'll post the pics now..