Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2007, 08:56   #1
BHPian

What are the files to download for installing Fedora Core 5??

Hi,
I need to install Fedora Core 5 and i'm having the iso images(.iso files) downloaded from
Index of /fedora/linux/core/5/i386

I've downloaded only the iso files in iso folder. Is it enough to install Fedore Core?

How do write these files to DVD and install it. Just copy these two directories(plz see the website for these two directories) to a DVD as it is or is their anything i need to do?? Please help.

Regards,
Ramki.

Last edited by ramki067 : 11th September 2007 at 09:01.
Old 11th September 2007, 09:20   #2
BHPian

.iso files are image files. You need to go to Nero or any other dvd burning software and select an option to write from image. Your dvd burning software will extract the file from these image files and burn the DVD.
Old 11th September 2007, 11:13   #3
BHPian

thanks bill. My Q was only iso files are sufficient for installing Fedora core 5?? If yes, will these files needs to be written directly on a DVD rather than placing these files in a folder and then burning it??
Old 25th September 2007, 16:05   #4
BHPian

Ramki,
Hope you would have got the solution by now.

Yes, only .iso files are sufficient and as bill said, they have to be burned using the "Burn Image" function of any burning software. Only one .iso file has to be burned per CD or DVD. (Files should not be placed in a folder). Generally in case you have downloaded the Fedora image for CD, you will be having 5 .iso files and each have to be individually burned in 5 different CD's (make sure you label your cds accordingly).
Old 26th September 2007, 09:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Ramki,
Hope you would have got the solution by now.

Yes, only .iso files are sufficient and as bill said, they have to be burned using the "Burn Image" function of any burning software. Only one .iso file has to be burned per CD or DVD. (Files should not be placed in a folder). Generally in case you have downloaded the Fedora image for CD, you will be having 5 .iso files and each have to be individually burned in 5 different CD's (make sure you label your cds accordingly).

I've figured it out and already installed it. But now i've a big problem. Definitely need help on this!

I installed some some software(don't remember the name) which showed the linux partitions on windows system which i downloaded from net. A seperate drive was created(R drive) and it showed grub folder contents only in it. I deleted the software but the drive did not disappear. I decided to delete the Linux from my system and deleted the Linux Partition using Partition Magic 8. Now here the trouble starts.

I rebooted my system to find grub prompt only and i'm not getting OS selection screen. I tried to install a fresh copy of Win XP(my other OS which was before) but somehow i doesn't start the installation( I have an XP boot disc) It says "Setup is inspecting your computer configuration" and after this it doesn't do anything.

After a few failed attempts of booting through XP cd, now the computer doesn't start atall. Even as i switch on the system power button, i don't see CPU fan rotating. I've a SATA hard drive(160GB) and when i start the computer with IDE hard drive(my spare drive) the system boots!

I'm stuck and Please anyone help me as i don't know what to do and i don't want to loose any data on the drive.

Thanks
Ramki.
Old 26th September 2007, 14:39   #6
BHPian

I think the name of the program you're referring to is "ext2fs". It allows you to see the Linux partitions from Windows.

I think you may have 2 separate problems -
1. A messed-up MBR, since you deleted the linux partition. The fix for this is simple. Boot with any Windows recovery CD, get to the command prompt and fire the command "fdisk /mbr"
read more at FDISK /MBR rewrites the Master Boot Record

2. The problem about your hardware hanging, could possibly be a hardware issue. Since you're machine is not booting even with the XP recovery CD, it seems that the CPU fan may have conked off, causing the CPU to overheat and thus hang during boot-up.

If you have spare H/w, try isolating the issue, by swapping the HDD out of this machine and replacing it with a known working HDD.
Old 26th September 2007, 16:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I think the name of the program you're referring to is "ext2fs". It allows you to see the Linux partitions from Windows.

I think you may have 2 separate problems -
1. A messed-up MBR, since you deleted the linux partition. The fix for this is simple. Boot with any Windows recovery CD, get to the command prompt and fire the command "fdisk /mbr"
read more at FDISK /MBR rewrites the Master Boot Record

2. The problem about your hardware hanging, could possibly be a hardware issue. Since you're machine is not booting even with the XP recovery CD, it seems that the CPU fan may have conked off, causing the CPU to overheat and thus hang during boot-up.

If you have spare H/w, try isolating the issue, by swapping the HDD out of this machine and replacing it with a known working HDD.

Thanks cypher. I will try the first solution u have provided today evening as i'm still in office.
To your second solution, i did try to boot from a seperate Harddrive.It runs the CPU Fan but doen't bootup as their is no OS in it! So from this is the CPU and its fan ok? then how come only on fixing SATA disk does the cpu fan stop running with no display on monitor and i do see the start display when my second spare hdd which is an IDE hard drive is connected?

Ramki.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks