Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2007, 19:40   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Plagiarism from Autocar India?

Autocar India celebrates its 8th Anniversary this month, and have got a great special issue out on stands, 500 pages. Yummy! Theres a neat little booklet attached called "60 years of Cars in India 1947-2007", covering the history of major Indian manufacturers and the automotive scene post independance. I was quite enjoying browsing through, especially when I reached the Standard Motors section, an area very close to my heart. The model line was described in great detail, and somehow sounded too familiar. After putting on my thinking cap I recall having written most of that article for the Standard Motor Club here History of Standards in India
A major part of ACI's article is directly lifted, not even changing most words.

Now I cant say im cheesed off, if anything, Im flattered, though I thought that the source ought to be mentioned. I did get a response from Joy Chaudhrie, who put the article together, and while he agrees to make a mention in the next issue, he doesnt think its a direct lift. What do you guys say? I've underlined what I think is, compared with the link above.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th September 2007 at 22:26. Reason: images changed
Old 18th September 2007, 19:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I've underlined what I think is, compared with the link above.
Karl in this process you managed to underline the entire article. These guys should give credit where it is due and also compensate for a direct lift without prior permission. You shouldn't really settle for a small 0.25" x 0.25" mention in the next issue. Good luck in your quest.
Old 18th September 2007, 20:03   #3
BHPian

Its a direct lift!
When I was reading this article in Autocar a few days back, I felt as if I have read some parts of it somewhere but couldn't recollect. Now I know where I read it before, it was the Standard Motor Club website!
Old 18th September 2007, 20:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't quite understand why people do such things,and then opt to keep quiet about it or not even acknowledge the fact that they have used some material from another source.
Old 18th September 2007, 20:52   #5
BHPian

Really sad to see magazines like ACI do such things. I used to be an avid reader of ACI few years back.
Karl you shouldnt let them go off so easily. One should get credit where it is due. By this i mean not a tiny mention somewhere in a small corner of the magazine where no one can even find it easily.
Best luck with your quest.
Old 18th September 2007, 20:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think the appropriate punishment for joy choudhary should be firing him.

first lesson in journalism is to NOT COPY.

but,these days ,almost every journalist googles his assignment.
Old 18th September 2007, 20:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to go OT, but I didnt get that small booklet :S

And yes, I dont think you should just settle for a tiny "apology".
Old 18th September 2007, 21:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

And there was this statement saying how hard everyone at the Autocar India office worked really hard to put together this so called Anniversary issue.

Well.. in this case, it looks like Joy dude spent like 15 minutes on google. I am sure the rest of the article is cut and paste from somewhere else !!
Old 18th September 2007, 21:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Aww mannnnn! Karl, this is really bad! As GS says, its indeed a blatant case of plagiarism!!

Imitation may be the best form of flattery......provided it is honestly shown as imitation!

And yes I agree with moralfibre that they should give you a compensation & credit where its due.

I wonder if the editor of the mag. knows this....having known about him I'd always thought of AC India as a reputable mag. so quite flabbergasted it indulged in something like this!

And reading the 2nd page of the underlined part in the article I can say that Karl's content is not the only one that had been lifted off, these lines "stylish estate verison of the Herald Mark III, called the Companion, was also unique to India........made only for a year in 1970" has been lifted off this page of the "Unofficial Austin-Rover web resourse" website:

Standard Herald

Of coruse this could be said as nothing compared to what was lifted from Karl's article! A real pity/shame indeed!
Old 18th September 2007, 21:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
first lesson in journalism is to NOT COPY.
Unfortunately the first lesson they teach in Indian journalism schools is to COPY as long as you can deny it. If you are caught red handed, claim that it is a coincidence. Every major magazine and new paper does it as they know they can get away with it.

Didn't Autocar or OD steal Tushky's pictures and one of the moderators post on this forums was lifted verbatim.
Old 18th September 2007, 21:43   #11
BHPian

Karl, I think it is necessary to make a hue and cry about this, since otherwise, the issue will fall on deaf ears!

I think it would've been appropriate if Joy had taken permission and printed the material. This just goes to show how unprofessional and unethical these guys can be!
Old 18th September 2007, 22:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

This does not seem to be the first time where ACI has done it. I remember a few months ago, ACI had tested Fiat chief's Alfa Romeo 159 at Mumbai. They had written a review of 159 and the comment about its steering being more informative than the internet is a direct lift from Jermey Clarkson's review of Alfa 159.

If they are using some lines from some other site, they at least should have the courtesy to acknowledge that particular site.
Old 18th September 2007, 22:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Karl

I'm glad you didnt bury this issue - the magazine ought to have shown more sensitivity than that teeny weeny, reluctant "acknowledgment" of having used your article as a 'source'.

I appreciate the fact that you did try and get this resolved amicably, and that this is a result of the rather cool response you've had from them.

Blatant, word-for-word plagarism of this sort is nothing short of CRIMINAL, and I think its fair that the world sees them for what they are.
Old 18th September 2007, 23:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky
Didn't Autocar or OD steal Tushky's pictures
Yes, one of the mags did.

But, Tushky posted a C-class picture here claiming it to be "fresh" while it was already printed in Autocar before it was posted here.
Im guessing he's now a "freelancer" for Autocar India ,now that I don't see any spy posts from him.
Old 19th September 2007, 01:02   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I wonder if the editor of the mag. knows this....having known about him I'd always thought of AC India as a reputable mag.

And reading the 2nd page of the underlined part in the article I can say that Karl's content is not the only one that had been lifted off, these lines "stylish estate verison of the Herald Mark III, called the Companion, was also unique to India........made only for a year in 1970" has been lifted off this page of the "Unofficial Austin-Rover web resourse" website:
I knew it was sounding familiar! Couldnt find it on the Standard Club site so I left it out.
I had initially contacted the editor himself, Joy was referred to me by him.

Again, I have no issues with the material being used, am glad if anything. What I wasn't too pleased about was that their stand still remains that it isn't a direct lift.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks