Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 10:37   #1
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Patents and protection for Indian Intellectual Property

If you want to achieve a low polluting Euro-III compliant diesel engine without the expense of a catalytic converter, how do you do it?

Put India's brightest engineers on the job. And with diligent man-years of R&D you're there, while your global competition wonders how you did it.

Could a competitor, steal your research and try to beat you on price in your own market? It's possible...

So all the brightest Indian companies Bajaj, TVS, Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) and Tata are filing and obtaining international patents !
Another example to protect is the Bajaj Pulsar's home-grown DTS-i (Digital Twin Spark-Injection) tech.

Twice Himalayan Rally participant Dr. Arun Jaura used to be Head of vehicle engg. at Ford USA (the Ford Escape was his creation). Today he is Sr. VP heading Mahindra R&D. He has a patent for a hydrogen-fuelled engine with hybrid electric powertrain, and also owns three other patents in the USA, Europe and Japan.

The maker of the India's first fully indigenously built car, Indica, invests 2% of their turnover in R&D.
TVS Motors with their own inventions like VTi (variable transmission ignition) and motorcycle RTR (racing throttle response), invest 2.5% turnover on R&D.

Ref:Auto-makers on patent filing spree
Old 25th September 2007, 12:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well these days patenting stuff is the easiest way to save yourself from lawsuits as you can always file a counter suit. Its more of a defensive move than anything else as there are quite a few unscrupulous firms that survive by suing others. Its good that indian automotive companies are getting into protecting their intellectual property.
Old 1st March 2008, 23:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

i see it more as a honor and recognition to have invented/discovered these putting behind a lot of money and time into it, the patents act as a certificate in recognition of these technologies invented by the concerned people. for that matter Mr.Bose invented/discovered the radio waves way back and devices to use it, and these were patented by some European for industrial purposes and the benefits and to this day the true inventor is seldom remembered for his work. though they claim this was done with the consent of Mr.Bose, its a little hard to digest it as i dont believe it!

more than being protective these give honor and pen the discoverer/inventor name in the history. the greatest example is the germans ravaging and stealing all the knowledgeable texts from our mother land India, and today they have created factories and industries, well is this all remembered? Had all those texts stayed in India what would be the extent of poverty in our country?

i say they protect these intellectual properties that will turn a country's fate someday to become a great nation. and adds Great Honor. After all KNOWLEDGE IS PRICELESS AND KNOWLEDGE IS WEALTH!

I have a Question what is it that has made all those western countries so GREAT? what is it that has Driven EGO in them? its knowledge nothing but KNOWLEDGE! AND India needs to start protecting it from the world and its High time they took real steps to implement all this! AND I SAY WE IN MANY AREAS ARE TRUE DESERVER OF THESE INVENTIONS AND DISOVERIES! Do correct me if any thing is wrong.

Last edited by rider60 : 1st March 2008 at 23:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks