Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2007, 00:49   #16
BHPian

Infrastructure wise delhi should be better because they steal tax money from rest of India to build their roads and metro rails.
Old 3rd October 2007, 16:51   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
In Kolkata on the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass, as you head with headlamps blazing in the foggy darkness from Ultadanga towards Park Street, a nonchalant cycle-rickshaw comes at you, on the wrong side of the road, without lights. You heart starts to pound. Your companion yells in Bengali at the rickshaw puller, "Do you want to die?" The near skin and bones rickshaw puller retorts with, "It's better to die once and for all, than die of hunger each day".
Ram
@Ram - the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass is Greater Kolkata and not the proper Kolkata. Its not prudent to come to a conclusion about such a huge city due to one incident .
Old 4th October 2007, 11:52   #18
BHPian

I have stayed long in Bangalore and Delhi. I hail from North India and feel more at home in Delhi. However, in terms of security, quality of life and just the sheer good weather Bangalore is a better city to live in as far as I am concerned. I have a travelling kinda job and I really fret the days when I will have to travel leaving leaving my family behind in NDLS. That sense of security was always present in Bangalore.. Heck I did my MBA with my family living in Bangalore while I was studying 350 kms away! I would say Bangalore for me is the best city (I have lived in Chennai and Hyderabad too for 6 months + durations)...

I wish Bangalore had Delhisque infrastructure. It would have been the best city in the world!!
Old 4th October 2007, 12:37   #19
BHPian

Hi,
I am basically from rajasthan and stayed in Mumbai for 3 years and now I am in delhi for last 6 months. I can say that Mumbai has a much better public trasnportation than Delhi. In delhi, if you have your own vehicle, then its best otherwise life would be hell. You cant go in bus, you know the condition( Blueline bus aka Killer), autos wallas are king here, they ask you any amount that they want. They dont want to go for short distance ! Metro is best but its not available in all places.
In Mumbai, even if you have your own vehicle, its of very little use since you have to go in Local trains for long distances to save time and money. Though they are crowded, but in 3 years i got habitual of it. BEST Buses are really good, they ply almost all the places and they drive really really well. Blueline bus drivers should get training from them. Auto wallas are also good, you dont have to negotiate, just get inside and pay by meter.
Delhi has big roads but mumbai lacks it !
So i feel, metro doent penetrate well in the city, Mumbai is better...
Old 4th October 2007, 22:46   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
I have stayed long in Bangalore and Delhi. I hail from North India and feel more at home in Delhi. However, in terms of security, quality of life and just the sheer good weather Bangalore is a better city to live in as far as I am concerned. I have a travelling kinda job and I really fret the days when I will have to travel leaving leaving my family behind in NDLS. That sense of security was always present in Bangalore.. Heck I did my MBA with my family living in Bangalore while I was studying 350 kms away! I would say Bangalore for me is the best city (I have lived in Chennai and Hyderabad too for 6 months + durations)...

I wish Bangalore had Delhisque infrastructure. It would have been the best city in the world!!

Same case as you. BLR is more fun, its just so far away from home, and a little expensive. If only the infrastructure was better, it would be the best city to live in.
Old 5th October 2007, 01:35   #21
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'd say delhi needs to do more in terms of security and attitude and then I'll agree with E&Y
Old 5th October 2007, 13:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@extreme_torque - no offences meant. the valuation may be correct taking all the aspects of life into account, but from a common man's point of view I liked Bangalore and Hyderabad more than Delhi (apart from the road conditions in Delhi which are way better than any city I have visited). What I particularly disliked about Delhi was the lack of security for the ladies on which point the cities of south score very high. Even Bombay is very safe in that respect.
My point exactly but Bombay is the safest. Name any other city where a lady feels safe taking a cab in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Thanks to job-related travel, I got a chance to compare commutes in Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Nagpur and Bangalore.
Never driven in Delhi though. Friends, what's Delhi like?

Ram
Your worst nightmare come true!!
Old 5th October 2007, 14:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

[quote=V-16;585240]My point exactly but Bombay is the safest. Name any other city where a lady feels safe taking a cab in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere.

Well if you take non-metro cities, then Vizag is the other city. A lady, bedecked in jewels, can take an auto or bus home safely after a late night show.
The roads there are pretty good, and I could cover a distance of 27 kms to the railway station in 30 minutes--the max was 45 mins on a crowded day.
Old 5th October 2007, 16:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

A bit OT but, IMHO, the ideal city would be a city that has:

Delhi's infrastructure
Bangalore's climate
Mumbai's discipline and order( in fact, lets just say mumbai's people- the best in the country IMHO)
Hyderabad's topography (just love this thing about hyd) and Biryani

well, we can all dream cant we!
Old 5th October 2007, 17:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
A bit OT but, IMHO, the ideal city would be a city that has:

Delhi's infrastructure
Bangalore's climate
Mumbai's discipline and order( in fact, lets just say mumbai's people- the best in the country IMHO)
Hyderabad's topography (just love this thing about hyd) and Biryani

well, we can all dream cant we!
And Kolkata's prices, and the food..

Abhi
Old 5th October 2007, 18:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
And Kolkata's prices, and the food..

Abhi
Not forgetting the wide array of mishtis you get at Cal---the best in the country, in my opinion.
Old 6th October 2007, 13:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
So i feel, metro doent penetrate well in the city, Mumbai is better...
Agree with most statements you made but this one escaped... Please elucidate! Although a full analysis of the effects would lead to a classic Systems thinking (it is a chicken and egg situation) discussion but IMHO in the short run the Delhi Metro when fully operational should greatly benefit the transport system here.
Old 6th October 2007, 15:04   #28
BHPian

What I feel after staying in Mumbai and Delhi is that a big city should have a main public transport system which should be supported by some other public transport system.
Let me explain to you in the context of Mumbai, Mumbai has main transport system in the form of Local trains, they are crowded but they are cheap, safe, wide spread and shuts only for 4 hrs in the night. And to assist it, the bus system run by BSES is excellent, they go in internal parts of the city where train is not there. Also they are fairly good. Also to assist are autos and taxis which are easily available and fairly priced (No negotiation required, pay by meter).

In contrast, Delhi has till now main transport system in the form of Bluline bus and DTC bus. Blueline buses are very very poor in terms of everything !! Autos wallas are king here, as i told before, they dont go for short distances, ask for any amount of money, u end up wasting time to catch a auto from 15 min to 30 min !!!
Till the time metro is fully functional and becomes the main transport system, things wont improve. Side by side, bus system will also be regulated and then we can say that Delhi is better in my terms. One more thing, Delhi Metro is far far better than Mumbai Local train in terms of comfortability. So Delhi is moving fast to leave behind Mumbai !

What you say guys ????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks