Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2007, 17:43   #1
BHPian

Living in Hyderabad

Hi I require feedback especially from the Hyderabad guys,
How is living in hyderabad -generally traffic, weather,safety etc ?.The area of hyderabad which i require a little detail information is within a radius of 5-10km of Kazipalhy and Jeedimetla (hope i got the spellings right) I wanted information considering the availability of accomodation ( approximate rent for a 1-2 bedroom apts) and schools .
All your inputs will be very much welcome.
Fergus
Old 15th October 2007, 11:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Fergus, i dont really know much about the areas you mentioned, but can give you a general picture of the place.

Hyderabad traffic is going from bad to worse, and there are certain threads where fellow-members have mentioned the same. However, the roads in hyderabad on an average are much better than those in other cities. As is the case with most Indian cities, there are places where the traffic can really get to your nerves. Be prepared to see guys who drag race on their Chetaks and people who use the wrong side of the road as and when they fancy.

Weather wise, except for summer, the weather is pretty much cool, and i dont think you would find it repulsive in any way.

Safety, again i would say it depends upon where you stay. During my 3 year stint in hyderabad, i have never faced any problems, although the scene in the Old City areas does make one feel concerned, in the case of any communal clashes.

For a present day update, Zappo, Himanshu, Zenopio, Satish_appasani, mobike008 should be able to pour in their inputs.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:51   #3
BHPian

Hyderabad info required

Thanks Bensb,
Incidentally where did you stay?.The reason I mentioned location in say 10 km radius is because I do not want to be too far away from work unless of course this location is not suitable or is communal sensitive.I am now awaiting updates from Zappo, Himanshu, Zenopio, Satish_appasani, mobike008.
Old 15th October 2007, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Never heard of Kazipalhy, but I know Jeedimetla lies north of the current Begumpet airport. I've never been there, but there is a left turn on the Medchal road (Nagpur Highway) that leads to Jeedimetla. I am told it is an industral area, and a bit polluted. It would make sense if you stay on one of the numerous flats on Medchal road, near ICFAI tech centre, and commute to Jeedimetla, which wont be more than 6 kms away. Rents in those parts of the city are still cheaper than the main city.
Old 15th October 2007, 12:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Thanks Bensb,
Incidentally where did you stay?
Fergus, i stayed at Masab Tank, Shantinagar Colony to be precise.
Quite a lovely locality.
Old 15th October 2007, 12:57   #6
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am out and out Hyderabadi,

The place must be Kukatpally thats a new township rea which has grown by leaps and bounds and jedimetla is more an industrial related area.

At Kukatpally you get very good options of 1-2 BD apartments, there are many new ventures that are taking shape here and so you will have good choice here and it is also near to Hitec city with newly connect roads.

Many schools, super markets, are around and also mega malls ( Reliance-asia's biggest) are taking shape here.

If you can be specific about the area of your work here, then I can suggest you more options.

Traffic is much better here than B'lore and new flyover are getting done too, unlike in blore where more roads are snail pace, here only few main nerve center has this situation other wise its a neat place.

Weather is too hot in summer other wise from aug thru to march its a very good place to enjoy.
Old 15th October 2007, 12:59   #7
BHPian

Are you joining Satyam?

The area you are taking about is outskirt. Though some areas around are deserted but i would not call them unsafe. This would be there in any city. Lots of colonies have come around that area and i don;t think a 2 bedroom apartment would be a problem. However, you would good 10-12 kms from the main city.

If there is anything you would like to know, let me know.
Old 15th October 2007, 13:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
How is living in hyderabad -generally traffic, weather,safety etc ?.The area of hyderabad which i require a little detail information is within a radius of 5-10km of Kazipalhy and Jeedimetla (hope i got the spellings right) I wanted information considering the availability of accomodation ( approximate rent for a 1-2 bedroom apts) and schools .
All your inputs will be very much welcome.
Fergus
General traffic - Chaotic in the heart of the city - like Punjagutta, Ameerpet, Begumpet, Banjara Road No.1,2 for example. It would be subtle and calm in the areas that you've mentioned.

Weather - Very very hot in summer, otherwise pleasant.

Safety - General safety is good in most parts of the city. However, the recent bomb blasts have raised a question mark in many people's heads.

Apartments in that part of the city would be inexpensive. I would assume a good 2bhk would be about 6-7k per month with 3 month deposit. 3bhk likewise would be about 10-12k. The landlords are helpful and accomodating, especially for families.

Schools - no idea, but someone else could help in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Never heard of Kazipalhy, but I know Jeedimetla lies north of the current Begumpet airport. I've never been there, but there is a left turn on the Medchal road (Nagpur Highway) that leads to Jeedimetla. I am told it is an industral area, and a bit polluted. It would make sense if you stay on one of the numerous flats on Medchal road, near ICFAI tech centre, and commute to Jeedimetla, which wont be more than 6 kms away. Rents in those parts of the city are still cheaper than the main city.
At the same time fergus, I know the area around ICFAI tech - don't expect to be like the heart of the city. It looks like the outskirts there with numerous dhabas etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Fergus, i stayed at Masab Tank, Shantinagar Colony to be precise.
Quite a lovely locality.
Oh! benbsb, I have lived in the same area - near Andhra bank. Yes, I liked the locality - peaceful and almost heart of the city.

Oh, I almost forgot - liquor is very expensive compared to Goa or Karnataka.

Cheers!

Last edited by Zappo : 17th October 2007 at 17:43. Reason: merged
Old 15th October 2007, 14:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Apartments in that part of the city would be inexpensive. I would assume a good 2bhk would be about 6-7k per month with 3 month deposit. 3bhk likewise would be about 10-12k. The landlords are helpful and accomodating, especially for families.
That made sense to me, unlike the 10 month deposit funda which one finds here in Bangalore. Imagine having to cough up close to a lakh just as deposit here. Crazy !

Quote:
Oh! benbsb, I have lived in the same area - near Andhra bank. Yes, I liked the locality - peaceful and almost heart of the city.
Very true. I would anyday relocate to that colony if i had a chance to.
Old 15th October 2007, 15:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, I almost forgot - liquor is very expensive compared to Goa or Karnataka.

Cheers!
Hi rocksterraghu,
Price of liquor does not make a difference as I do not drink

Quote:
General traffic - Chaotic in the heart of the city - like Punjagutta, Ameerpet, Begumpet, Banjara Road No.1,2 for example. It would be subtle and calm in the areas that you've mentioned.

Weather - Very very hot in summer, otherwise pleasant.

Safety - General safety is good in most parts of the city. However, the recent bomb blasts have raised a question mark in many people's heads.

Schools - no idea, but someone else could help in this regard.

At the same time fergus, I know the area around ICFAI tech - don't expect to be like the heart of the city. It looks like the outskirts there with numerous dhabas etc.

Hey Hyderabad TBHPians,
Any ideas about good schools in and around Kukatpally.Generally do schools take in kids after the first term.My kids are in primary school.

Hey Rockster Can you guess how much time I would need to find a flat and settle in?what I mean is do you have to struggle to find a flat or are they available easily.

Last edited by Zappo : 17th October 2007 at 17:42. Reason: Try to post in one go.
Old 15th October 2007, 16:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Fergus, if you have friends from the IT industry in Hyderabad, ask them to fwd ads for flats for rent from their office bulletin boards to your mail id, and you can then probably narrow down your choices. Trust me, this is a good way to start. Going through an agent is an expensive affair which i would never recommend.
Old 15th October 2007, 17:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Fergus,
Where are u coming from to settle in Hyderabad? Then we have a better perception of you and can advise accordingly.
Old 15th October 2007, 17:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

I second benbsb there. Even if you go through classifieds on fullhyderabad.com or sulekha.com, you'll mostly find broker (agent) numbers. You have to pay them 15 days rent as commission.

Sometimes, the agents turn out to be quite helpful, but not always.

If you can find a good agent through a reliable contact, you can finish off everything in about a week to 10 days. If you start looking on your own (the age old manual way), you'd need a lot of time.

The best way to do it is ask your friends about their contacts and information in their office. PM me if you need some help when you're here.

Cheers!
Old 16th October 2007, 09:28   #14
BHPian

Fergus,

Not to worry about schools in Kukat pally, you will get many around from early schooling.

Firstly ensure you get the apertment of your kind and the other things can be worked out.

To get feel of things here do check out sulekha classifieds, fullhyderabad etc
Old 16th October 2007, 13:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

if you are going to be close to Medchal road, another area you can look at is Bowenpally. There is a nice gated colony there called ICRISAT colony which has some lovely houses and rental should not be an issue.

However, if I were in your position, I would look at a house closer to the city center- say Amerpet/begumpet/DK road and commute for work. these areas are very centrally located, with good schools, shopping centers in the vicinity. Your family will never get bored.

ANother thing you have to keep in mind is that the people in the service sector in hyd, though very nice people, are not the most professional, unlike theones you find in Mumbai and to a lesser extent in bangalore. You really have to persevere to get things done.

The good part is that language is not an issue at all in hyd, with almost everyone speaking a dialect of hindi/urdu.

welcome to hyd. hope you like biryani

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks