Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2007, 11:19   #1
BHPian

Benign or malign cancers - doctors or 'been there' patients pls advice...

Hi all,

A health related topic in a car forum though posted on the "Shifting Gears" section may sound far-fetched. But still I'm posting this with a perspective of sharing experiences with those who would have gone through something similar like this.

Moreover as I hang around TBHP and my office a lot, I can relate to the people in these places more than in real life!!!

OK,... A person VERY close to me, developed a soft swelling on the right side of her cheek, exactly near the point on the face where the jaw bone meets the skull. Though no pain was felt initially, this was visible slightly and even felt by her as a soft bulge since a year.

3 weeks ago this swelling flared up and became so much visible that her face was contorted on the right side. She was prescribed medication (tablets) and the swelling came down.

Then she was asked to go through a series of pathological tests. One followed the other. The serious one being an FNAC. The diagnosis on this mentioned that it is a Parotid gland Neoplasm and it could be anyone of these,... "Cleamorphic Adenoma" or "Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma". The first being benign and the 2nd being a malign condition.

Now she has been advised to go for a surgery to remove this cyst and perform a biopsy. The result will confirm if the tumour is benign or malign.

After spending a lot of time with a few cancer surgeons and doctors, and some sensible searches on the internet, I could understand that the surgery is utmost necessary to rule out any malignancy, or worse, troubleshoot the malignancy at this early stage if found to be malignant.

One more point in worry is,... the surgeon mentioned during the consultancy that one of the nerves that control that side of the facial muscles sometimes passes intertwined with the Parotid Gland.

During the removal of the cyst in the Parotid gland, this could cause a damage to the nerve and may render a part of the face either paralysed or abnormal movements (push-pull) for basic human expressions.

What I would like to know is,... has anyone on this forum been through something similar?

If yes,... could you please take some time to explain
- what is the likelihood of the tumour being malignant
(an MRI scan today shows that the spread is not beyond the outer Parotid gland)
- what are the after effects of such surgeries
- has paralysis of muscles - partial or wide span happened

I would be very grateful to anyone who could give me this / more related information as some moral support.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Last edited by gbpscars : 16th October 2007 at 11:21.
Old 16th October 2007, 12:05   #2
BHPian

Well, your friend's story is quite similar to mine. I have personally gone through all this.

Last year, I noticed a small bulge on my right upper arm. Initially, for couple of months, I ignored it completely. It was not at all painful. But, then after some time, from a small mole like thing, it grew into a large cyst - about 3cms in diameter.

After consulting with a local doctor, I went to Tata Memorial Hospital. Over there they diagnosed that the thing was Dermatofirbrosarcoma protuberans
a benign tumor. I therefore went for a surgery, and got the cyst removed.

During surgery, they took out a huge chunk of tissue around the cyst as well, to ensure it's complete removal. It's been almost 7-8 months now since I had that surgery, and I still feel some weakness in my upper arm. It's certainly not as flexible as it was earlier - 'coz while straighting the arm, I do feel a little bit pain (as if the skin is being stretched).

I did consulted with the doctor again last month and told him about this. He said that its perfectly normal, and I need not worry at all. But, also advised me to go for a checkup once in every six months so that it doesn't comes back.

Since you are in Mumbai, I guess you would have taken her to Tata Hospital - they have some very good doctors. I really wish you friend all the very best for her treatment. Just trust in God and I am sure everything will go well.
Old 16th October 2007, 14:15   #3
BHPian

woof,

thanks for your time and interest in replying to my thread.
thanks for your wishes too.

had initially been with MGM, Vashi. Now we are with TATA as one of her relatives works as a cancer radiologist there. familiarity also brings some mental peace, yeah? hence the shift.

meanwhile, i would love to hear from any doctors on this forum, if any.
Old 16th October 2007, 14:35   #4
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
Hi all,
Now she has been advised to go for a surgery to remove this cyst and perform a biopsy. The result will confirm if the tumour is benign or malign.

During the removal of the cyst in the Parotid gland, this could cause a damage to the nerve and may render a part of the face either paralysed or abnormal movements (push-pull) for basic human expressions.

you have answered the question yourself. only biopsy can clarify it as benign or malignant. check whether biopsy can be done without surgery as it appears to be superficial. this will clear lot of things.
try for a good homeopath along with surgery option.
hope for the best
Old 16th October 2007, 20:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Only a through cut biopsy will tell for sure whether its malignant or not. There are some cancers which are detected even with needle biopsy(FNAC) but most require a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.
BTW, are doctors also talking about Lymphoma?
Old 16th October 2007, 22:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post

I would be very grateful to anyone who could give me this / more related information as some moral support.

Thanks a ton in advance.
a) human body is quite complex so no guess on chances, have the surgery done asap (earlier the better).

do biopsy and that only will give a clear cut report, though the docs might be able to gather some idea reg the tumor, once the tumor is removed (surgery done). treatment is now well advanced and covers most kinds of malignancy also, especially if detected at a very early stage.

b) some rest n recovery and then bounce back

c) very difficult for anyone to guess, even a doc would be 100% sure when he actually performs such a surgery, trust in docs they do thorough home work before.

last but not least, Donot use internet info too much (including tbhp), it will mess up your thoughts as well as create more confusion.

check with the doc, they will explain or a general physician he or she will be able to guide you better.
Old 16th October 2007, 22:28   #7

I feel really awkward that my first reply in this forum is related to my profession. I know you are worried about the possibiity of the tumour being malignant (cancerous). There is actually no certain way of determining it except biopsy (excision biopsy which means removal followed by pathological examn). As far as the danger to the facial nerve (it always passes thru the parotid and not sometimes), that is real but the good thing is that since every surgeon is worried about possible damage, they are really careful about it. These tumors are not rare and the treatment is pretty standard. So instead of walking in the quagmire of second and third opinions, get on with the surgery and wait for the biopsy report.
b.t.w its pleomorphic adenoma and not "cleamorphic"
Old 17th October 2007, 10:40   #8
BHPian

Internet has amazed me and helped me all the time.

The best surprise of all, I did not expect such personal responses from a car forum!!!!

Thanks a ton TBHP and TBPH-ians.

To let you all know,... the person "VERY near to me" is my wife.
Am married to her for 8 years now. Met her on some other forum.
Hence my belief in internet

@woof:
Thanks, your post helped us relate to and understand an almost similar situation that we are in now, and learn what to expect.

@rkg:
Thanks for the alternative suggestion.
I did call up a few homeopathic docs whom I know; but they adviced not to delay the biopsy, as the FNAC test mentions atleast one malignancy in its report.

Homeopathy takes longer to cure, though it does.

@DCEite:
No, there is no lymphoma involved.
Atleast not until now before the surgery / biopsy.
And, I hope not.
Your signature makes me very pensive. Good one there.

@Jaggu:
I will follow your point on internet info. It did cause a lot of mental trauma.
Thanks for that.

@gogiasiddhartha:
thanks doc!! am more than happy to see a post from a doc, so dont feel awkward. thanks for the speller correction
the doctor at the MRI scan centre said that the spread is not major. pre-surgery reports and other arrangements being done now.
surgery will be done next week.

Thanks to all until I start to frequent the forum again.
Old 17th October 2007, 11:04   #9
BHPian

@gbpscars - I have gone through a similiar situation but not on the cheek and I know how this is..underwent surgeries and chemotherapy. Now am fine and hale and hearty and driving around in Sparky. So take heart things will work out fine..!!
Old 30th October 2007, 10:25   #10
BHPian

UPDATE:
she had been through the surgery last friday,...

during the surgery a frozen section (FS) revealed that the cyst was surprisingly benign - Pleomorphic Adenoma.

4 days since the surgery, all tension relieved, now she is recuperating at home and is much better mentally and physically. for her, after so much trauma, this is almost a 2nd chance to look at life.

thanks to all who had been on this thread, adviced me or shared their experiences.
Old 30th October 2007, 11:44   #11
BHPian

thank god for he has been kind and you are through with the surgery.

take care of her which will help in speedy recovery.

all the best and this forum is always there for any kind of help if needed.

i am at nerul and pm me if u need any help.

Mansi
Old 30th October 2007, 11:52   #12
BHPian

Thats good news! All the best to your wife.. wish her a speedy recovery!
Old 30th October 2007, 13:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Great to know that your wife is well & recuperating. My wishes for a speedy recovery. Have faith
Old 30th October 2007, 13:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

Happy for you both and glad to know it all went well.
Old 30th October 2007, 14:42   #15
BHPian

Happy to know that all went well.

Out of personal experience with a similar case in the family some time back we realized that a full body PET-CT scan is necessaryto make sure that there isn't any abnormal activity elsewhere in the body any time a local tumor is detected(unfortunately in our case PET-CT was not common that time).

Last edited by xbox360 : 30th October 2007 at 14:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks