Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2007, 11:26   #1
BHPian

Living in Bangalore

Hi all,

I have started the new thread because I urgently need some help on living in Bangalore. MODS if you think this needs to move please do so.

There is a thread going on here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...roperties.html but its more about buying property in Bangalore

I am presently living in Mumbai and I am moving to Bangalore very soon to help a friend setup a new industry. I worked in bangalore for a period of 3 months when I interned with Dell at Whitefield as part of a US MBA program. I lived in a place called Brigade road or brigadier road if I am not wrong. This move to Bangalore would be for 2 years.

Some basic facts are that place of work is Dod Ballarpur and would have to go there everyday. Would need to travel internationally I am not sure how often so a reasonable proximity to the airport. I have a 16 month daughter so I am thinking Play Schools or reputed schools ( ICSE ). Also since I would be out of office and wife has never been to Bangalore hence worried so would need to stay in a very good, closed, secure and gated ( I am not sure of this) locality with maids ofcourse. If any one from Bangalore has stayed in Mumbai then I am talking about areas like Versova / Lokhandwala, Vile Parle, Juhu etc. Ofcourse I am looking at renting a place.

In my stay of 3 months in Bangalore I absolutely loved it and found the people to be very industrious and friendly. Language was not a big problem but only at the level of auto rickshawala or drivers. My drive was from Brigade road to Whitefield everyday and the traffic was brain numbing. Not that mumbai is not but I think mumbai traffic is still organised.

Guys please guide me which area i could look at and what I could do for running-in the two 2 year stint
Old 16th October 2007, 11:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Look for a place in Hebbal/Yelhanka as it is near to Doddaballapur. You have DPS (Delhi Public School)/Vidyaneketan school.....New International Airport is coming up there in Devanahalli....Near to Yelhanka. It will be operational by 1st Qtr 2008.

I suggest you stay at a rented flat at the above locations as your stay is only 2 yrs......

For house related queries, you need to contact real estate guys.......I may not be of much help though I know the area.

Hope this is useful.
Old 16th October 2007, 12:04   #3
BHPian

i suggest you stay in sahakara nagar if you plan to stay in a apartment safe and gated like you asked if you are looking for a house you are best near rt nagar or yelahanka i would not suggest hebbal regarding the icse school you would be best at vidya niketan it has school buses in the localities where i stated a couple of us have studies there since also you also asked about the traffic from these areas there is not much traffic jams smooth roads but cant comment on autos.
Old 16th October 2007, 12:07   #4
BHPian

Yes,Dodballapur is in the North Bangalore. The place will be close to the new International airport, however i do not foresee the airport to be operational before end of 2008 because there is a fight between the NHAI and the state government over a cetain stretch of road construction. So until then you will have to travel to the existing airport which is close to 1 and half hour on regular traffic. Hebbal & Yelahanka have some good properties on rent, please do let me know if any budget you have. You can target anywhere between 15 K to 35 K based on the quality/services/builder of apartments. You can get less expensive stand alone houses towards Sahakar nagar layout. Should you require any specific information please feel free to PM me as I am into Real estate consulting.
Old 16th October 2007, 12:18   #5
BHPian

@firingonallfour,
welcome to bangalore. As snaronikar suggested, it will be gud if you live in areas liek yelenkha, Hebbal, RT Nagar(in this order). There is DPS, Ryan Internationals School and lot more..but I guess for the next 2 yrs you wont be needing such schools..probabally you need playschools, and they are there in yelenkha area.
For international travells, After Apr 2008, you will be quite near to the airport, until then please bear with blr traffic!
There are loads of appartments coming up in yelenkha area, so I am sure it wont be a problem finding a good secure place to stay there. Only things missing will be like multiplexes, shopping malls, good(read posh) eating joints(though once upon a time yelenkah road was famous for cheap gud dhabas!)

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Old 16th October 2007, 12:26   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Your commute will be primarily on the NH-7 (BLR - HYD) highway - which is pretty decent I would think compared to other highways that are packed with IT traffic.

Any location along this highway after Cauvery Theater junction towards Dod Ballarpur would make your commute manageable. However, there are some really good residential options available just before Cauvery Theater junction (Cunningham Road area) and just after Cauvery Theater junciton (Sadashiva nagar, Upper Palace Orchards)

It all depends on your budget - and there is plenty of choice along this highway.

Last edited by androdev : 16th October 2007 at 12:39.
Old 16th October 2007, 12:38   #7
BHPian

Hi. First of all congratulations on your move. As suggested by many on this thread, Yelahanka would probably be the best place to stay as regards proximity and minimal commute time etc. However, if you're considering purchasing property, be aware that the real estate market in Bangalore is pretty heated up right now, so make sure you look carefully and get a good deal. If you need contact numbers of estate agents etc. let me know. All the best!
Old 16th October 2007, 14:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firingonallfour View Post
Guys please guide me which area i could look at and what I could do for running-in the two 2 year stint
Do look at Sobha Suburbia campus. It has some decent apartments and rowhouses. It also has a pretty good club. It is close to the new international airport, and is en-route to BLR-Dodaballapur road.

I think DPS (north campus) and Vidya-Shilp schools are close by to this place.

Cheers,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 16th October 2007 at 14:25. Reason: Added school info
Old 16th October 2007, 18:13   #9
BHPian

Hi,

Yelahanka / Doddaballapur Road will probably be the best. You can also stay at Jakkur (behind the aerodrome).

Gated Communities - Sobha, Prestige (Dorchester) have larger apartments at Jakkur. Rentals will be in the range of 25 - 80k.
Prestige (Monte Carlo) and Unitech (Heritage Estate) have normal apartments on Doddaballapur Road. Rentals will be in the range of 15-25k.
There is also Prestige Angsana down Doddaballapur Road which will have villas, but proximity to schools may be a problem.

Schools - DPS & Aditi are the international schools within 3-5 km of Doddaballapur. VidyaNiketan is a good local school about 8-10 km from Doddaballapur and within 3-4 km of Jakkur.

Airport will be operational on April 2, 2008 (that is firm date). The airport will be ready even if the expressway isnt. btw, the expressway is another road. The road from Yelahanka to Devanahalli is already in place and is a 6-8 lane road. Until then you will need to drive about 25-28 km to the HAL airport which will take you about 1.5 hours to reach from Doddaballapur Road (not during peak hours).
Old 17th October 2007, 01:14   #10
BHPian

Thank you guys for your overwhelming responses. What I gather from the thread so far is that I should look at north Bangalore places like sahakar nagar, Yelhanka, adashiva nagar, Upper Palace Orchards, Sobha Suburbia campus, Jakkur. That considerably brings down the number of places I should look at. As AMOHIT pointed out I wont need the schools for 2 more years since my kid is just 16 months. Good point. But i think if I like it there I might just stay on. Also wanted to mention that it would be great if these multiplexes and food joints are about 10 mins drive since we dont many people all that would be good timepass. By adding food joints and multiplexes does it eliminate any areas ? Second most important thing, any suggestions for hi speed internet, i cant live without it. I am making a sortie by the end of the month may be I could fix things up. Thank again for your support
Old 17th October 2007, 08:01   #11
BHPian

firingonallfour, I am not very sure abt the recent developments in Blr north area, but in my knowledge, there are a very few good family eating joints, and absolutely no multiplexes in bangalore north area.
Though that area is full of good resorts
It does have some good hospitals too....but no entertainment centers.

May be you could make watching a movie a weekend outing...with a loooong drive into the city

Regards,
Old 17th October 2007, 11:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you want all the multiplexes, shopping malls etc etc., then you should rule out Bangalore North (nearer to D'pur).....atleast as of now. But once the intl airport comes up, then the situation may change
Old 19th October 2007, 19:58   #13
BHPian

On the high speed internet question, how fast are we talking? Can start with as slow as a BSNL broadband line (256 kbps) up to T1. Depends on how much you're ok to spend.
Old 19th October 2007, 21:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamenon View Post
On the high speed internet question, how fast are we talking? Can start with as slow as a BSNL broadband line (256 kbps) up to T1. Depends on how much you're ok to spend.
Hi
Ya BSNL 256 or 512 would be great. Would be unlimited download / upload. Unfortunately in Mumbai MTNL has an ADSL service which is superfast but non of the plans are unlimited. So i keep MTNL has a backup and use TATA indicom 256 unlimited.

I think I can spend about Rs 1000 on internet per month
Old 20th October 2007, 15:49   #15
BHPian

1000 per month should get you the BSNL unlimited plan, I think. But it'll be another Rs 200 for the telephone rental. So net effect about Rs1200 pm.

The downside of the unlimited plan with BSNL (and most other providers I think) is that the average download speeds are lower. When I had a 1GB plan, I used to get good average download speeds of 50-60 kbps consistently. With the unlimited plan, it's dropped down to about 35-40 kbps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks