Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2007, 23:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
You mentioned about Indicas doing 2.5lakh kms. I am not sure I buy that, but assuming I do, if an Indica can do 2.5lakh kms without a rebore, your average Jap / Korean / American car should easily do a million kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
2. I replaced my OEM front and rear tyres at ~65K and ~75K km, respectively.
4. I'm still running OEM suspension on the car, one of the reasons why I may come across as slightly biased towards Tata.
5. Still on the original clutch assembly as well.
SB, would you buy this ?
Old 29th October 2007, 08:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Might not break down (though that is also not ruled out, given what I have read here), but I have seen serious issues (problems) in cars that I would not imagine in a new car.

What's the big challenge here ? You mentioned about Indicas doing 2.5lakh kms. I am not sure I buy that, but assuming I do, if an Indica can do 2.5lakh kms without a rebore, your average Jap / Korean / American car should easily do a million kms. So how come 50K kms is a challenge ? Then we should wait for a 5lakh km or a 10lakh km report for those cars.
Hi,

I wonder an average Jap / Korean / American car should easily do a million kms. And the Indicas are in no way inferior when it comes to the engine department..yes they do suffer in areas of NVH and fit and finish but when it comes to the engine department..they are good!!

The only other cars i've heard of doing in excess of 300,000 kms without a rebore is the contessa classic and the mercedes benz..

The average Jap / Korean cars will not cross 1.5 lakh kms..but the american big ones can easily cross 400,000 kms..
Old 29th October 2007, 11:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I think they are both necessary. A 5000km one as we would gain insight into the car and some problems with the car which would be unnoticed during TDs and would also help the potential buyer, as well as a 50,000km review which would cover the mechanical costs.
I think the best compromise would be to start a thread and keep updating it.
I have updated my Fiesta LTR thread every 5000km from the day we bought it. I think that is the wisest thing to do.
However, it would be nice if one could merge all the reviews in one post. I.e - the 5000 km one, 10000km one, 15000km one in one post instead of throughout the thread.
Old 29th October 2007, 15:34   #19
BHPian

I could not agree more. I look to a LTR becasue I want to know how the car has fared after a long time, not one month or 500 km on the clock.
I have said so once in a post on a thread in LTR.
Mods must put a rule that the car must cross at least three years, or 40,000 kms for anyone to start a thread there.
Old 29th October 2007, 21:11   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

A person who is interested in buying the car would do so after looking at the reviews.
A LTR should be updated constantly IMHO from the beginning. Won't waiting 3 years for ownership be a long time for a person who wants to consider buying a car?
Many people buy cars such as the Civic, Fiesta based on the reviews and these cars aren't even 2 years in the market yet. Without these reviews, consumers won't know of some of the trouble spots of cars like say for example the civics low GC, poor visibility or the Verna's poor brakes and suspension etc.
Every year, there are new products being launched and waiting 3 years for a review of a product is pretty long!
The only downside of not waiting so long is that we won't know about the reliability issues but as it was pointed out, cars today have to be reliable and every car would require work at some point in its life irrespective of how old/new it is and when the work is carried out, one can always update their review.
Old 30th October 2007, 09:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Won't waiting 3 years for ownership be a long time for a person who wants to consider buying a car?
Many people buy cars such as the Civic, Fiesta based on the reviews and these cars aren't even 2 years in the market yet. Without these reviews, consumers won't know of some of the trouble spots of cars like say for example the civics low GC, poor visibility or the Verna's poor brakes and suspension etc.
Every year, there are new products being launched and waiting 3 years for a review of a product is pretty long!
I don't mean that there should not be reviews before three years. By all means we need feedback on the cars as soon as people have something to report. Just don't post it in the LTR section. Maybe we can have another section called New car issues or something.
Calling an experience of one month and 100 kms as a long-term experience is stretching it.
Old 1st November 2007, 13:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
A person who is interested in buying the car would do so after looking at the reviews.
A LTR should be updated constantly IMHO from the beginning. Won't waiting 3 years for ownership be a long time for a person who wants to consider buying a car?
The only downside of not waiting so long is that we won't know about the reliability issues but as it was pointed out, cars today have to be reliable and every car would require work at some point in its life irrespective of how old/new it is and when the work is carried out, one can always update their review.
A LTR is based on the mileage the car has clocked and not the time one has had it. I hope that's cleared your query.

The objective of the LTR is to let a prospective buyer know about the value of the vehicle with respect to maintenance, performance, reliability, resale value, service issues, failures of parts etc..

Starting a thread as soon as one does 100 kms or so and calling it a long term test in my opinion is a joke..

Maybe such posts can come in some other section..

I had started this thread in the Long term road tests section as i wanted other friends to understand what should contribute to the LTR..But the Super Admin has shifted the thread to Shifting gears and i dont see why!!

The purpose of this thread is lost if one continues to post a LTR after a few hundreds or a few thousands kms..

you should have a separate section for that!

Most Viewed