Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2007, 11:53   #31
BHPian

the africa episode was one of my favorites so far, i do think though what you see is what you get, i would imagine they were very picky about the running condition of the cars they bought, but as for repairs i dont think they would have had to do much more than was shown. the battery on the lancia shorting on the hood may have needed more repair than was shown.
Old 9th November 2007, 21:14   #32
BHPian

Dude, its a universally known fact that TopGear is scripted, many of the situations that happen may seem incidental, but 99% of the times its manipulated, tinkered and what not to achieve make their story look fool proof. Be it the result of drag between two cars, the result of a race(car vs train,boat,plane), whatever it is. 99% of the show is scripted! Its definitely not what you see is what you get!
Old 9th November 2007, 23:13   #33
BHPian

it may well be scripted but i didn't see anything in the Africa episode that a car in good running condition couldn't handle, sure they probably had a mechanic look over the vehicles to make sure they could handle the carnage. i forget now what exactly they did but heres how i figure it,
driving through that sandy mud would require a lot of weight reduction, which we saw them do, that and deflated tires could make it. the main problem with the mud would be build up around the wheels and possibly flywheel and serpentine belt which wouldn't take much more than cleaning out to repair. and they did show on film that they had to clean the mud of especially on the lancia.

then there was the intense dust which could probably require a few air filter changes along the way to stop them from becoming completely blocked and choke the engine, but changing a filter isn't really a major overhaul.

off road rally driving with the Stig's African cousin, could require upgraded shocks and dampers to stop damage to other parts of the vehicles, but remember these were bangers they really didn't care about damaging them, theres always the possibility of broken shocks or tire blow outs, maybe that happened maybe it didn't.

driving in sand through the wildlife reserve would be difficult and you would surely get stuck often, which they did and that was shown to us.

driving through the river, if your air intake is above the water level its not a problem as long as you don't stall the engine with the exhaust submerged, once stalled the exhaust can suck water in when the engine is first started but if you can get the vehicle out of the water before starting it again thats not a problem. there can also be problems with the electrics but iv driven through extremely deep water in older cars many times without any problems to the electrics, newer cars might not work so well but they weren't in new cars. only thing i can see that may have needed to be changed is snorkels added and not shown on film.
Hammond sunk his and we saw what happened to his car with the mechanic working on it for along time, they didn't try to hide that.

all i'm saying is it might have been scripted but i really didn't see anything that a car in good running condition couldn't have handled, sure it would be totally destroyed by the end of the trip which they were.
Old 10th November 2007, 02:57   #34
BHPian

oh and your right on the races being manipulated, like the one with the veyron vs the plane, it was a good episode but totally stupid to race a car and a plane, the plane would easily win if it wasnt for all james mays messing about. and none of the drag races and things are meant to be taken too seriously. stig racing around the top gear track wouldnt work there are too many variables to judge which car is the fastest. its all lighthearted fun and although the africa episode could have been completely setup i believe anyone could do what they did without too much knowledge of vehicle machanics.

that said though i think the 3 presenter would make for great entertainment even without scripts, they seem to work better together than anyone else iv everseen on tv before, i dont think you could ever repace one of them and still have the same show. and clarkson is just funny period with or with out a script.
Old 10th November 2007, 10:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin23uk View Post
stig racing around the top gear track wouldnt work there are too many variables to judge which car is the fastest.
There is no "The Stig", there are atleast 2-3 drivers who are used as the Stig, only one of them(main guy) is Ben Collins that itself makes it worthless to compare the powerlap times(which are again manipulated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin23uk View Post
that said though i think the 3 presenter would make for great entertainment even without scripts, they seem to work better together than anyone else iv everseen on tv before, i dont think you could ever repace one of them and still have the same show. and clarkson is just funny period with or with out a script.
yeah he is funny, but after downloading and watching 10 seasons + bit of old topgear + reading his columns regularly, he tends to get a bit predictable with his jokes.
Old 11th November 2007, 13:30   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
A friend has downloaded the episode and even though it might have been telecasted in 720P, the downloaded version was decoded to 480p.

I'm yet to find a propper HD vid on the net except for a list of Imax samples and movie trailers.

Shan2nu
the polar episode was telecast in 1080 p there were downloads available for it in 1080p,720p and divx at 7gb,1.4 gb and 700 mb respectively.I downloaded the 720p 1.4 gb one and yes it has freaking awesome picture and sound besides being such a nice episode.
Old 11th November 2007, 19:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the polar episode was telecast in 1080 p there were downloads available for it in 1080p,720p and divx at 7gb,1.4 gb and 700 mb respectively.I downloaded the 720p 1.4 gb one and yes it has freaking awesome picture and sound besides being such a nice episode.
Ok, i just need to know 2 things. When you point the mouse-pionter on the "Polar" file, what does it say under "Bitrate" and "Dimensions"?

Shan2nu
Old 11th November 2007, 21:26   #38
BHPian

File Name : top.gear.polar.special.720p.hdtv.x264-bia.mkv
Duration : 1:02:02
File Type : MKV

Video Info
H.264 AVC, 1280 x 720, 25 fps

Audio Info
Audio : AC3, MultiChannel, 48K
This is what I get in jet audio there is no summary to it in the properties section.
Old 12th November 2007, 00:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
A friend has downloaded the episode and even though it might have been telecasted in 720P, the downloaded version was decoded to 480p.

I'm yet to find a propper HD vid on the net except for a list of Imax samples and movie trailers.

Shan2nu
hmmm ..... nowday almost everything is available in HD

i have more than 100 movies in HD mostly in 720p ...... some 20-25 in 1080p

anyways have anyone watched the latest episode with Ferrari 599 and JC behind wheels its awesome ..... speacially the secret launch settings thing
Old 12th November 2007, 18:54   #40
BHPian

hello all, pls try to get Supercar showdown by Jeremy clarkson...
another mighty car video from his production...]
full of supercars............
Old 12th November 2007, 21:07   #41
BHPian

i wasnt all that happy with supercar showdown, not as good as some of the other specials he's done in the past.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Watch them soon before they're deleted.

Old 13th November 2007, 11:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
There is no "The Stig", there are atleast 2-3 drivers who are used as the Stig, only one of them(main guy) is Ben Collins that itself makes it worthless to compare the powerlap times(which are again manipulated)

can you tell us the link to this claim please? as far as i know, the stig is/was a formula 1 driver. but like as you said, the person keeps changing at times.

btw, why was the caparo t1 not included in the lap times chart?
Old 13th November 2007, 11:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

The first (black) Stig was Perry McCarthy. Since then, rumours have linked Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Johnny Herbert, and Julian Bailey, among others.
Old 13th November 2007, 13:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmmm ..... nowday almost everything is available in HD

i have more than 100 movies in HD mostly in 720p ...... some 20-25 in 1080p

anyways have anyone watched the latest episode with Ferrari 599 and JC behind wheels its awesome ..... speacially the secret launch settings thing
Where do you download these movies from?

Quote:
File Name : top.gear.polar.special.720p.hdtv.x264-bia.mkv
Duration : 1:02:02
File Type : MKV

Video Info
H.264 AVC, 1280 x 720, 25 fps

Audio Info
Audio : AC3, MultiChannel, 48K
This is what I get in jet audio there is no summary to it in the properties section.
Yup, that looks like a 720p vid alright. Must be awesome to watch on a big screen.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed