Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 20:04   #61
BHPian

Re: Driving License Completely Faded

I too lost my license last week and had no photocopies, so dint know the driving license number. There is no way you can get a duplicate, atleast in Chennai. Had to apply for a new one and got a leaner's license only day before yesterday. Now I am 'Learner' waiting for next month to get a regular license. Have lost 10 years of driving experience on paper...
Old 4th October 2012, 21:02   #62
BHPian

I did had a similar experience an year back and i was able to get the duplicate from the RTO(Anantapur-Andhrapradesh) & I am pretty sure they have this facility at Bangalore too.
I got my new copy of licence but it carries"Duplicate" on it -Printed saying "Duplicate".. If your fine with it just go ahead. Else, you have to apply for a new one.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:07   #63
BHPian

The quality of Driving license (smart cards) seems equally pathetic across the country, here in Pune I noticed that if one takes the card out from the transparent plastic cover that comes along with the card (not sure whether RTO provides it or the Agents), part of your photo remains with the cover.
The result is, one has to keep the cover during the lifetime of the card!
Old 5th October 2012, 11:27   #64
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
The quality of Driving license (smart cards) seems equally pathetic across the country, here in Pune I noticed that if one takes the card out from the transparent plastic cover that comes along with the card (not sure whether RTO provides it or the Agents), part of your photo remains with the cover.
The result is, one has to keep the cover during the lifetime of the card!
You are correct dude. Even i faced the same problem with Pune RTO.
My license had been in my pocket since 2003. Neither photo, Nor name is visible on my 2 & 4 wheeler licenses. The same is the case with Bike and car Reg cards

Everytime, i show the same cards No police have ever complained on that. I think they know the quality of those cards too.

Guys, past cant be changed. please advice on how to protect the left over charrecters on the card, with out laminating it. Lamination increases the size of cards, and they wont fit in wallets.

Old 5th October 2012, 11:52   #65
BHPian

A friend of mine moved to NZ and her license faded in less than a year after it was issued by AP RTA. It seems you need to carry original DL while driving abroad. This was the reason of fading. Shouldn't they improve the quality like we have in Debit/Credit cards or PAN card?

So while she was abroad, I was assigned the task of getting a replacement (not duplicate). All she gave me was the DL number. I went to the driving school where she learnt and got the DL initially. The agent took Rs.1500, DL number, name and address. Thats it! No paperwork.
Brand new DL (minus the 'duplicate') was given to me in 3-4 days. Could have gone the Gandhi way but it was way too urgent. Anyways the agent was is also a Gandhi way, just different papers

Coming to your condition, check the state RTA/RTO website and it should tell you the procedure to obtain a duplicate OR walk up to the RTA/RTO and grease palms of an agent and get whatever you wish, of course for a price. If you give him your name, address and DOB, it will work. Try your luck on RTA/RTO website, you might get to see your DL details. Take a print of it and keep it handy like shown below. A DL number helps, but KA state website might work with name and DOB. Meanwhile, please see that you obey all the trafic rules.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?-picture1.jpg  

Old 5th October 2012, 11:56   #66
BHPian

In kerala driving licences come in the form of a card, almost like your PAN card or credit card. Very convenient, long lasting and fits well in the wallet too.

This has been the case for almost a decade now i think. Mine is the old book type though, taken in 2002.
Old 5th October 2012, 12:08   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Everytime, i show the same cards No police have ever complained on that. I think they know the quality of those cards too.

Guys, past cant be changed. please advice on how to protect the left over charrecters on the card, with out laminating it. Lamination increases the size of cards, and they wont fit in wallets.
Why will they complain? Transport department and traffic cops are 'kumbh ke mele me bichhde bhai'

In case some 'wafadar' cop takes you to task someday, which is very unlikely to happen in case of traffic cops. Note down the DL number and the address on the DL. I am sure your DOB and name will never be forgotten by you and remain same forever (except in case of female folks).

Increased size doesn't fit into wallet? Get a bigger wallet Mine fits without perfectly.

Also, keep copies of DL in every car/bike you drive/ride along with the usual papers. Works even when you forget/lose your wallet.
Old 5th October 2012, 12:17   #68
BHPian

I kept my car's original tax receipt (valid for 5 years) in the dash board. Unfortunately I also kept a full unused bottle of "System-G" in it, which somehow leaked and the paper was soaked in oil. Fortunately, it is recognisable as a document and I have a xerox copy of the original with me, which I now always carry with the original. But the date of expiry in the original document has now been somewhat illegible and may easily be challenged by anyone who is willing to find out an ulterior motive. Do I need to go for a duplicate copy of the same?

Last edited by rahul4640 : 5th October 2012 at 12:18.
Old 5th October 2012, 12:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Was in my wallet, which went for a wash
Completely illegible now, and I do not have any photocopies. Any idea what to do now?
Was the Licence in the booklet format? Now is the opportunity to go in for the smart card format. You could have used the existing DL no to get a new smart card licence if you had the DL no which unfortunately is now not available.
Two options:
1) Apply for a new DL, get a new DL no
2) Apply for a new DL using the old DL no if you can source it somehow, maybe contact the dealer where you would have submitted a copy earlier.
Old 10th October 2013, 15:01   #70
BHPian

Re: Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?

I have lost my Drivng license and my car's RC book together.. Careless me :(

I heard that I need to get a Police complaint in-order for me to apply for duplicate RC book. Do I need to do the same for license as well?
Old 10th October 2013, 15:15   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaidy View Post

I heard that I need to get a Police complaint in-order for me to apply for duplicate RC book. Do I need to do the same for license as well?
If getting a FIR or Complaint attested by Police mandatory, is there any pre-defined format which I can use of?
Old 10th October 2013, 15:46   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Best thing to do would be to employ the services of a reliable RTO agent and they should be able to get both these things done at the earliest. If not an FIR, you should alteast intimate the local PS and take an acknowledgement, like the one they give for lost mobile phones.
Old 10th October 2013, 15:50   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Best thing to do would be to employ the services of a reliable RTO agent and they should be able to get both these things done at the earliest. If not an FIR, you should alteast intimate the local PS and take an acknowledgement, like the one they give for lost mobile phones.
Thanks Dass. Need to complete this activity at the earliest. It is always a risk of not having the originals.
Old 10th October 2013, 15:57   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dass. Need to complete this activity at the earliest. It is always a risk of not having the originals.

The process to follow is as below

1. File a complaint in the local police station that you lost your DL. You have to provide a complaint letter explaining how you lost it.
2. They will forward this to the Suburban Police Commissioner Office in St. Thomas Mount (near Kathipara) with a note that the lost DL could not be found.
3. The Suburban Police Commissioner Office will then issue a missing certificate.
4. The missing certificate along with the duplicate licence application has to be submitted at the RTO where a new licence with the old licence number will be issued.

1,2,3 are the tricky parts where lot of time and energy will be wasted.
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:52   #75
BHPian

i have all the bookings done for my pench trip from hyderabad. and i found that the driving license is not in the car any more. i am not sure if it is lost or not, but i have not been able to find it in car or home.

what should i do? is it ok to travel with a photocopy and police complain of lost driving license?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks