Team-BHP - Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/30605-driving-license-lost-damaged-what-do.html)

Hi everyone,

I managed to loose my wallet, which apart from some nominal amount, contained just the driving license. It happened last Thursday. I searched a lot at my home and at a lot of places, but could not find it.

I then went to my nearest police station and complained about the same and they gave me a certificate to say that it is indeed lost.

Now, the issue is that I reside at Bangalore, but the driving license (for both 2 and 4 wheeler geared vehicles) was issued to me at KK Nagar RTO office, Chennai during my stay there. I checked with RTO offices at Bangalore and they said that they can not help me procure a duplicate as the license was issued at Chennai. If I have to procure license here, it will have to be from the start, with me first getting a learner's and waiting for a month for the driver's. I have a problem there as I might end up going abroad for a brief period during the first week of Feb and I need a DL there to drive.

Another option for me is to go down to Chennai and procure a duplicate. I managed to talk to someone in KK Nagar RTO today, but they did not provide me any encouraging information. My knowledge of Tamil being not so impressive, I found it difficult to have a meaningful conversation with people over there. They were not willing to provide me a proper timeline by which they could issue me a duplicate DL. I do not mind driving down to chennai for the same, but if the process extends to more than a day, it is very difficult for me.

Considering all this, what is the best alternative for me? Is it any worth becoming a member of AASI or some body where I can get things done easier? Do let me know.

Thanks,

Hey, had the same experience. One way to get it back is to approach an agent at KK nagar, give the photocopy or the DL number, he will get it for you at a charge of 1K If you don't have either (As was my case) get a new license. :(

Dude - spent Rs 3000 and become a life member of the AASI (automobile association in south India). Let them so the running around., They are chennai based and have a Bangalore branch.

Do you have the lincence number or even a photocopy?

I have the license number, but not the photocopy.

I got the mail id of AASI and have posted the same there. I am yet to get any reply from them. I am not aware of where their branch at Bangalore is. If I can get those details, it will be great. I will be happy to be their life member.

and how will having an Indian DL let your drive abroad ?? dont you need an International DL ?

You can rent a car in California with Indian DL. I have done that before. Some states in US allow you to do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakhon (Post 339935)
I got the mail id of AASI and have posted the same there. I am yet to get any reply from them. I am not aware of where their branch at Bangalore is. If I can get those details, it will be great. I will be happy to be their life member.

St Marks Road, in the India Garage complex - if you go in there to park, do not mention that you are going to AASI as they are trying to evict them, say you are looking at the Cedia or Scorpio

Ajmat, thanks for the info. I located their address and tried the numbers that were provided in the aasi website. But I believe they are closed for the day. I did not receive any answer from them. I will give them another try tomorrow morning. Anyway, St Marks Rd is not too far from where I work (Richmond Rd). So, I can go there in person tomorrow.

International DL is not a actually a DL but it is called International Driving Permit. It should always accompany your Indian DL.

in bombay:
go to any driving school, fill in the form for a duplicate licence, you should have your licence number for this. Pay them 250 rs. and withing three days you'll have a duplicate licence.

manson.

Yeah since u know ur driving licence no, i don't think it will be a problem for then to issue u a duplicate one...

Its better you carry your IDP when in the US along with of course your original Indian Drivers License. Though a few states may accept Indian Drivers License, not all of them do. I am in the state of Missouri and had a problem with my Indian Drivers License as such. And IDP too was rejected by one car rental company (Enterprise) while another one (Avis) though a bit expensive accepted the IDP.

Since you have the license number, the process is much quicker.

Even i lost my DL last month. Mine was even more confusing, My DL was issued in coimbatore, i had given a change of address in Chennai and i live in Bangalore :) ..... Luckily for me, there was some record of change of address in Chennai, went through a agent and travelling tomorrow to chennai to get my license done.

As soon as i lost my license i got an LLR done on the next day. Since my wife had a DL(The irony is she does not know driving :( ), she sits beside me when i drive, by that im still abiding by the law.