Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2007, 10:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dont know what to say

This incident happened yesterday night.Was walking down a road which had an ok crowd.
There i saw a 16 to 17 year old extremly thin guy belting an old man who must be around 60 to 65.4 to 5 guys had gathered at a distance of 15 feet away from this incident.The old man was taken by this thin guy near the gate of a building which was dark and being beaten
He had his knees on that old guys neck.

I was shocked and went about 5 feets distance from the fiasco and told that guy to stop
Here is our interaction and what happened

Me: Chod usko..bichara buddha hai..!!
Thief: 'Gives me a cold stare' and continues hitting that guy
Me: Chod bola na ..!!mar jayega bichara..!!
Thief: 'Gets up' stands right in my face..gives me hard push and says 'Teri @#$%^@!#%$%%%(%(#@ jaa idhar se warna tere ko dhoo dalunga'
Me:I hit him with the scientific calculator i had on his face.
Thief:Gives me a punch
Me: Got really angry and thrashed the calulator on his face many times.Blood started ozing from his nose and lips.
I just wanted to take his attention away from the old man and towards me so that the old man has time to get up.

All this while the crowd just kept looking.The old guy to my amazement gets up.Wipes all the dust from his clothes and walks away as if nothing happened.He looked at me and did not even say a thanks.
Meanwhile this thief starts walking away givin me a cold stare and ranting dekh lunga tere ko bla bla..!!

After this incident i think i m never helping anyone. The old man walked away without even a 'thank you'..Bloody hell i saved his life.
The people just kept staring as this was some kind of entertainment for them.
I broke my calculator,got punched for what?I atleast expected the old guy to say a thank u.Now thats not much to expect is it?
Old 30th October 2007, 10:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

@ humyum: You did a Splendid job of saving the old man. I think old man was too terrified to speak to any one and that is why he migh not have spoken. This is only my feeling.
Old 30th October 2007, 11:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

humyum, you did the right thing by intervening & saving that old man's life, though it was a risk getting involved with the thief directly who could be a crimnal too.

As snaronikar said, maybe the old man was too terrified to speak anything!
But the God has seen it & will reward you for that kind act!
Old 30th October 2007, 11:07   #4
BHPian

Yeah I agree! probably the guy was trying to make a quick getaway and forgot to say thanks and all.

Also I am surprised that you say that there was a crowd already standing there. They weren't trying to save the old man? What kinda world is this becoming!
Old 30th October 2007, 11:16   #5
BANNED

Hey!!! Put yourselves in the old man's place!!!

What will you do if you are 65 something and are being belted by a youngester and some stranger saves you??

Gut instinct will be to run away; before something else happens.

You wanted to save the old man, he was saved. He is blessing you in his mind; and be quite happy. As it is, people find it difficult ot express themselves verbally, and it will be very, very difficult to express oneselves in such a situation.

You did an excellent job; and thank you!!!
Old 30th October 2007, 11:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

@humyum, you done a great job man. I appreciate your courage.
Old 30th October 2007, 11:20   #7
BHPian

Humyum,
You did what you felt, I admire your courage.
But just be extra cautious with these road Goondas. They may posses a knife or something which can be dangerous.
Also there is a lot of Drama which is planned just to catch attention of people passing by and then loot them. Make sure does not get into such traps.
Old 30th October 2007, 11:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Also there is a lot of Drama which is planned just to catch attention of people passing by and then loot them. Make sure does not get into such traps.

Absolutely. This happens very often in Bangalore. Last month while I was going in my car, some miscreants on a two wheeler asked me to stop and told me that there are sparks & smoke coming out of my front left tyre ...I parked at a safe place where there was a lot of crowd, and checked that there was no smoke or spark or whatever...probably they would have attacked me and took away whatever I had, if I had stopped the car at a lonely place!

But I really appreciate your kind act, humyum...God will take care of it...never mind the old man not thanking you!
Old 30th October 2007, 11:34   #9
BHPian

A very noble deed humyum, it take a lot of courage to do what you did. Don't be bothered about the old man walking away from the scene. Perhaps he was shaken up. And about the "thanks", well you get a lot of good wishes and "thanks" from my side, God Bless you..
Old 30th October 2007, 11:38   #10
BHPian

great job humyum...
but you should not give up your good work just bcos one old man refused to thank you..
Old 30th October 2007, 12:30   #11
BHPian

Well, it is not clear what the relationship between the "old man" and the "thief" was. And why the old man was getting beaten up.

Perhaps he owed the "thief" some money. Perhaps he did some eve teasing.

We are influenced too much by the movies in which the aggressors are always the villains. There was a news report recently in which the aggressors were the villagers who lynched the would be thief who came to that area. It is hard to say who is at wrong in this situation: the villagers or the thief.

Please don't flame me. I am just trying to give out an explanation that is different from the ones that have already been given. I am entirely in favour of protecting the innocent and reprimanding the guilty
Old 30th October 2007, 13:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

Hey humyum,

Im just glad to hear you that you actually did something about it and didnt stand around watching like all the others!

Really glad to see that.

As they say in engineering college, the calculator is mightier than the sword

cya
R
Old 30th October 2007, 13:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well guys this thread was just started in a fit of anger on the public/old man..But thinkin about it now i m ok with the old man not saying a 'thanks' and i will continue to do what is right always.
Now the point is..HOW LAME CAN THE PUBLIC GET..??That guy was half my size and i m not that built anway.I m 5.7nd half and 63 kgs.So u can imagine if i can dare take that guy..almost anyone can.

How i wish if the crowd had supported me that 'kid' would have been behind bars and some other guy would have been saved today from his wrath.
Old 30th October 2007, 13:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Well done humyum.
You saw a adolescent thin guy belting an old man. You saved the old man from being beaten up by this adolescent. A good deed indeed.

However a strange flaw in the story -how did the young man become a thief? What did he steal and from who?
Old 30th October 2007, 15:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Well done humyum.
You saw a adolescent thin guy belting an old man. You saved the old man from being beaten up by this adolescent. A good deed indeed.

However a strange flaw in the story -how did the young man become a thief? What did he steal and from who?
He was trying to steal something(mostly cash) from the old man i suppose and the old guy was resisting is what i could make out from standing there.
And what made me confirm my doubts was the fact that the old man was very decently dressed.Seemed from a good family and this kid was like the rasta chap mawali kinds.
Sometimes u look at a scene and u know for sure whats going on and then u react without thinking 'what if' bla bla.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks