Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2007, 18:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Mechanical engg. Final year project. Suggestions needed.

I am doing my Mechanical Engineering. Am in my final year.

Wehave to do a project in our final year. Now, moist of the guys are doing something related to ANSYS or some turbine blade design or things like that.

I am not interested in that. I havent really learnt anything in 3 yrs of engg. I dont want to waste the time spent on the project too.

I am very interested in all thing automotive.

I would like suggestions for a project related to cars. Anything. We are really stuck for ideas.

I have access to a lot more resources also when it comes to auto stuff.

I am desperate. Please help.
Old 1st November 2007, 18:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nikhil,

There's this gentleman, Somender Singh who has come up with a concept of grooving, wherein he makes grooves in the engine. Supposedly, this helps in ensuring that the engine runs smoother, and can run at very low speeds in a higher gear, thereby reducing the wear and tear on the clutch, reduces gear changes, and gives a better fuel economy.

Lots of folks have read that, and would love to try it out, with the only problem being that not too many people wanna experiment with cracking the engine, cos if it fails, you're in deep trouble.

Was wondering if you could take on this project as an unbiased experiment to verify whether this works or not.

Would definitely help you learn more about auto engines if you have to open it up and modify it.

Hope this helps you finalize your project.

All the very best.

Cheers,
Lalvaz
Old 1st November 2007, 19:57   #3
BHPian

Hi, If you know some one from the automotive plant, like tvs / toyota / ashok leyland, somewhere in and around Bangalore why dont you approach them and give a try. Few of my classmates tried and one was successful with tvs.

You can try with Mico Bosch as well. They offer projects related to automotive components. I feel if you want a hassle free project to do with something automobile (directly-indirectly) Mico would be a good choice.
Old 1st November 2007, 20:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Think something up on ur own.
Only then will U have complete motivation and dedication to go ahead with it.

Some college professor or auto company don't know U more than urself.
Old 1st November 2007, 20:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
I am doing my Mechanical Engineering. Am in my final year.

Wehave to do a project in our final year. Now, moist of the guys are doing something related to ANSYS or some turbine blade design or things like that.

Instead of a turbine blade why don't you take an auto component.. a leaf spring or something.. and model that in ansys..

Verify that by buying that component and do experiments on that..
In the leaf spring example.. you predict the deflection by ANSYS.. and prove it it is true by applying load on the leaf spring

If you are into much.. Do a project on the life of the spring.. using a fatigue solver.. and verify it By experimentation... You will be a hot thing in the automotive market , and companies will queue to recruit you, if you know how to handle fatigue simulation properly..

My 2 cents..
Old 1st November 2007, 21:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Check out this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rive-bike.html
Old 1st November 2007, 22:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Think something up on ur own.
Only then will U have complete motivation and dedication to go ahead with it.

Some college professor or auto company don't know U more than urself.
I am trying !! I need to have some idea of what I can do for a project. I have no clue whatsoever.

Spoke to some seniors and they are equally clueless as they all did Ansys, thermodynamics, turbine related projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Hi, If you know some one from the automotive plant, like tvs / toyota / ashok leyland, somewhere in and around Bangalore why dont you approach them and give a try. Few of my classmates tried and one was successful with tvs.

You can try with Mico Bosch as well. They offer projects related to automotive components. I feel if you want a hassle free project to do with something automobile (directly-indirectly) Mico would be a good choice.
That is one of the options. But what can I do ? I might be able to approach Toyota (their factory is pretty close to Bangalore).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Hi Nikhil,

There's this gentleman, Somender Singh who has come up with a concept of grooving, wherein he makes grooves in the engine. Supposedly, this helps in ensuring that the engine runs smoother, and can run at very low speeds in a higher gear, thereby reducing the wear and tear on the clutch, reduces gear changes, and gives a better fuel economy.

Lots of folks have read that, and would love to try it out, with the only problem being that not too many people wanna experiment with cracking the engine, cos if it fails, you're in deep trouble.

Was wondering if you could take on this project as an unbiased experiment to verify whether this works or not.

Would definitely help you learn more about auto engines if you have to open it up and modify it.

Hope this helps you finalize your project.

All the very best.

Cheers,
Lalvaz
Thank you. Could you give me more info on that ? It sure seems interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Instead of a turbine blade why don't you take an auto component.. a leaf spring or something.. and model that in ansys..

Verify that by buying that component and do experiments on that..
In the leaf spring example.. you predict the deflection by ANSYS.. and prove it it is true by applying load on the leaf spring

If you are into much.. Do a project on the life of the spring.. using a fatigue solver.. and verify it By experimentation... You will be a hot thing in the automotive market , and companies will queue to recruit you, if you know how to handle fatigue simulation properly..

My 2 cents..
I am not at all interested in Ansys !! I want to get my hands dirty. :d
Old 1st November 2007, 23:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thank you. Could you give me more info on that ? It sure seems interesting.

Team-BHPSearch : Somender Singh
Old 2nd November 2007, 22:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:

That is one of the options. But what can I do ? I might be able to approach Toyota (their factory is pretty close to Bangalore).

. :d
Then try giving it a shot. But they are be quite systematic and very direct. You have to be pin point perfect in managing things and the timings they give you.
Old 21st November 2007, 14:13   #10
BHPian

When I was in college, helped a friend in the mechanical engineering department make use of a few pneumatic actuators the department had to spare to fabricate a F1 style, paddle-shift gearbox
Old 28th September 2009, 20:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Bumping this thread.

My brother is a final year mechanical engineer and I am looking for projects for him in Bangalore. Would anyone here be working in any engineering company which inducts students for projects? Please let mw know. Beers on me. LOTS.
Old 28th September 2009, 20:56   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I finished my engineering! Good riddance!

My project was the only worthwhile thing I ever did in 4 years of nonsense.

I finally did a project on Crash Repair Systems in my dad's company which distributes this equipment in India. This focused in a big way on my passion of automobiles which was why I enjoyed the project and actually learnt a lot. Also, there was a lot of material available and that made my job easier.

@Red Liner --- There are a few companies who offer projects. Most of them are govt companies. BHEL, BEL, BEML, etc...

Some of my friends did a project in NAL. Some others in HAL as well. You generally need contacts to get into these. And money. Most of the contacts do charge a lot. My team and I spent a total of about 4000/- Rs. ALL of it on getting our project printed. So, 1000/- per person.

Some people spent upto 10,000/- per person.
Old 8th November 2010, 22:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well, bumping a year old thread.

I find myself in a situation similar to what Nikhil was back in 2007. I am pursuing my 3rd year in Mechanical engineering and I am on look out for project ideas. I have taken note of the pointers in this thread and intend to read through them by morrow. While approaching a company for project seems like a good idea, the pseudo-intellect management thinks otherwise.They have barred us from doing projects from companies and insist we use the resources available at college.I need some ideas on which I can possibly work on. I am keen on automobile related stuffs or fabrication or design of component(s).
My group has collectively decided not to do any thermal related projects.

Appreciate your input folks
Old 8th November 2010, 22:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about Mech, but I as a final year electronics engg student, I'm working on an 'Autonomous parallel parking system for cars'. Will be implementing it on a simple RC car which has everything ripped off except the chassis with the FB/LR motors.
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mechanical engg. Final year project. Suggestions needed.

Guys, I need some help for my final project on marketing. I chose to write on Tata's automotive arm and apart form all the material I could find, I need a realistic view from a tata dealer/marketer/any other stake holder.

Anybody from TBHP connected to Tata motors and willing to give 30-60 mins for a short interview/email trail? The idea is to make it a give and take kind of session.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks