Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2007, 00:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Akbaree,hats off to you! Really happy that someone cared for the lil furry fella.Extreme_torque...thats is such a cute puppy! Almost looks like my Jack-Russell Terrier. Do share more pics,if you have them. Such a noble deed will not go without reward.
Old 3rd November 2007, 02:03   #17
BHPian

May be I am insensitive, but I don't understand what the big deal is.
There are humans who are living in worse conditions and no one throws them a biscuit.
Old 3rd November 2007, 06:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

While it is really sad that some humans are in a much worse condition, cruelty to animals is still an issue we need to deal with. And this is a puppy we are talking about.

Think of the pup as a small kid being beaten up by someone for being somewhere he wasnt supposed to be.
Old 3rd November 2007, 09:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Insensitivity is the whole point of this thread. Personally, I am not a dog lover or an animal activist.

I have been taught that human race is the most superior and is blessed with many things that no other living object has been blessed with on this Earth. But when we face a simple situation like the one on this thread, how we reacted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
There are humans who are living in worse conditions and no one throws them a biscuit.
Well, I don't have any official statistics, but I am of the opinion that most of the ills faced by humans are their own creation. We, humans, have driven most of the other living creatures to extinction. But many of us still live in shabby conditions.

I am not saying that we should not show compassion towards human beings. But if we responded so un-humanly to a simple situation like a puppy resting under a car, how are we going to respond to issues faced by human beings which are much more complex in nature.

Last edited by akbaree : 3rd November 2007 at 09:25.
Old 3rd November 2007, 10:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Akbaree - Its a lovely thing you did.

There is only one thing in this world that brings tears to my eyes - is the cruelty to animals in our country.

People have no sympathy - everyday I see people abusing these stray animals - dogs, donkeys, monkeys etc.

I have a fight every now and then with people hitting these animals- I cannot recall the number of times I have scuffed people on the road because of their behaviour to animals.

It pains my heart why people do such a thing.

These poor animals are speechless and homeless - I mean if you cannot do anything you have no right to hurt them.

BUT at the same time I also see people who are so kind to them.

Well all said and done - it is high time we do something about this.
Old 3rd November 2007, 10:52   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

When we lose sensitivity to the innocence and vulnerability of a new born life form, we lose our right to be called human.

Quote:
If a human being is truly helpless and no one helps them, that is a massive crime. But in a world run and controlled by humans, only a very young, very old, very sick or seriously disabled person is helpless.
Other than that, I truly believe no one is helpless.

And the day any animal is able to earn a living by itself, I suggest we stop feeding them.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 3rd November 2007 at 10:54.
Old 3rd November 2007, 11:17   #22
BHPian

Here is a thing I observed. There is a stray dog that sleeps over in our apartment complex. The dog is a harmless being that just goes on without bothering anyone else. A certain lady in my apartment however is petrified at the sight of dogs. My one year old girl on the other hand gets hyper-excited at the sight of the dog. This lady will not come out of the house or will shoo it from within the grill doors of her apartment and ensure the zone is clear. I still have not understood her behaviour. Why?
She however does not harm it. But I realized that maybe she is scared / repulsed by sight of dogs (just like some people loathe roaches / reptiles).
She also told me that she is worried that the dog will pooh pooh on the steps.
Call it anything. But thats people for you
Old 3rd November 2007, 11:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

I blame Ms Gandhi because she showed how the poor souls could be saved but did not think if the Municipal corporation will handle sterlising them..

All this sounds very good when you havent faced Dog nuissance.. In my home town every other day people get bitten by dogs who chase them when they are on their two wheelers. Also have seen so many accidents happening due these stray dogs. Some of these accidents have been serious.

Certainly the poor dogs are not to blame but this should be handled better by the Municipal corporations.
Old 3rd November 2007, 16:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

^^ I guess thats fair enough, sterilization is the solution to the problem and has been proven to be sucessful worldwide.
Old 3rd November 2007, 17:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Last week, I was waiting for my friend to get picked up in the main road. Two small dogs, probably 3-4 months old, were playing with a piece of cloth on the side of the main road. Both were trying to show their power by pulling it.

A Tata sumo overtook a Santro from left and wanted to avoid his right wheel getting into a pothole, resulting in taking the cars to the sides.

In fraction of a second, one of those dogs were hit very hard. It was crying aloud & moved towards the main road trying to balance with one leg. Another speeding car crushed it under the wheels.

The other small dog kept barking at all the moving vehicles for quiet. sometime.

Still the thoughts of it are very painful
Old 4th November 2007, 12:03   #26
BHPian

Thats very painful. I once came across a similar situation and it was a puppy in the middle of Nungambakkam high road opp Taj and thankfully the puppy jumped before me and i stopped my car holding up the car and soon a good samaritan rushed to the puppy's rescue and took it to the roadside.
Old 4th November 2007, 20:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

If this was some grown up dog stealing food or littering the garbage bins then I understand the use of brooms etc. But, this is a small pup, some people do behave like animals , education does nothing for them, in fact our education system is full of books and less values. I remember picking up starving puppies from the neighbourhood and feeding them for 2 to 3 months keeping them in a dog house in our garden many times when I was a kid, I used to go to the extent of stealing milk, bread etc from home and feed them. My mom used to be furious at times with all this but she too used to feed them at least once a day.
Well, long story short, people don't really have to do what we did, but at least not treat a little puppy that way. Few biscuits or some bread will not make anyone poor, and neither will showing compassion to the helpless.

Life has it's mysterious ways of getting back to everyone, what goes around comes around.
Old 5th November 2007, 14:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Since the topic is on dogs. What do you think about the new rule the BMC came out with?! About pets littering on the road. There is a fine of Rs 500/-.

1. Most dogs are now used to littering on the road and they don't dare do it at home. They've been brought up with this habit. So everytime I take my dog for walk, they expect me to pay Rs 500?!?! Moreover, they don't have dustbins on the road, whatever they have are stolen. Why can't they just build something of concrete so people can dump things there?!

And its not like my dog relieves itself on the middle of the road. Most pet dogs ALWAYS do it right in the corner or an area where people don't walk around.

2. They've started making these new dividers with plants in them. So they fill the inside the divider with mud n dung. While filling, MOST of it is out on the road and its sooo dangerous that cars/bikes overtaking from the right lane may see it tooo late and may go for a toss. They do all this stupid stuff and they make rules like this. My dog's poop isn't going to put anyone's life in danger, but their nonsense system of dumping mud and stones on the road, not proper levelling of those CRAPPP tile system on the road gets on everyones nerves and backs!!!

Last edited by Gordon : 5th November 2007 at 14:20.
Old 5th November 2007, 20:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
This lady will not come out of the house or will shoo it from within the grill doors of her apartment and ensure the zone is clear. I still have not understood her behaviour. Why?
Call it anything. But thats people for you
fear of dogs, or animals is general, why is difficult to understand? don't we have hundreds of phobias in people. and I agree "that's people for you".

I for one am not scared of animals, but I hate it when people let their pets on me saying it will not do anything. Well, i don't like their fur, them licking and sniffing me, and i know they can have been thru trash and dirt that i don't want to be exposed to. And I don't see a reason why an animal lover should expect me to do the same. I would probably have stopped the people mentioned in the first post from harming the animal too. but that's sympathy, and it stops there.

you pointing at others does not really help anything.

coming to helping and feeding the needy animals, we all know that feeding animals encourages them to come back for more food. that's why we are strictly prohibited from feeding animals in most of the wildlife places. I had a professor in my college who used to feed dogs in college, and 5-6 dogs always used to follow him, sometimes to the class. I personally did not like it. on the other hand he used to get offended if anybody mentioned it to him. in other cases it turns them into public menace (bears, monkeys, birds problems).

So, Can a society democratically decide whether or not to encourage stray animals in common outdoor living area? and again, i am not advocating hitting an animal with broomsticks.
Old 5th November 2007, 23:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
But when we face a simple situation like the one on this thread, how we reacted?
Well, think about why people reacted that way. May be that will make you less angry about things?

On a related note:
I am scared of dogs but at the same time I raised two dogs.

Last edited by Mayavi : 5th November 2007 at 23:42.

Most Viewed