Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2007, 02:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Agreed its the moral responsibility of a person to care for people in his surroundings but its upto him.
Rules are meant to be broken and people love that.
Im not sure what your post meant but we dont have to copy other countries because we already have a law in place that doesnt allow smoking in certain areas.

This attittude has a very bad impact on our country. If everyone followed the rules think about how much easier life would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Well just starting to get active with this one.Nice openin eh Anway i rest my case
Yup, lets hope someone from Marlboro or Davidoff is reading this thread..youll be able to quit college (or your current job) and start work at one of these companies.

As for me..Ill probably have to hire some additional security..

Last edited by aah78 : 10th September 2008 at 03:18. Reason: See note.
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:57   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Yup, lets hope someone from Marlboro or Davidoff is reading this thread..youll be able to quit college (or your current job) and start work at one of these companies.

As for me..Ill probably have to hire some additional security..
These many posts by me for my right to smoke half a ciggi a day anywhere i want
Well u wont have to hire additional security.Half a ciggi will be over even before u can say 'GUARDS'
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:24   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These many posts by me for my right to smoke half a ciggi a day anywhere i want
Well u wont have to hire additional security.Half a ciggi will be over even before u can say 'GUARDS'
That is a micro view. Even your second hand smoke from `half a ciggi' is a human carcinogen. On a macro basis, multiply that by many people having an opinion like you (I only smoke half or 1) and see the effect.
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

khanak vbmenu_register("postmenu_635327", true); dude what i am trying to say is there are lots of you who are comparing stuff here and that about the west so what i mean is just that you cannot us to keep following all the rules from the west.
There are people who say smoking in public places should be banned etc etc but i dont think so.
Old 23rd November 2007, 14:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
khanak vbmenu_register("postmenu_635327", true); dude what i am trying to say is there are lots of you who are comparing stuff here and that about the west so what i mean is just that you cannot us to keep following all the rules from the west.
There are people who say smoking in public places should be banned etc etc but i dont think so.
Im not asking anyone to follow rules from the west, but shouldnt they follow rules that already exist in India.

However if the West does have a law that makes sence or involves forward thinking and will benefit citizens there isnt any harm in it being implemented by our country too if it gets passed by Parliment.

Last edited by khanak : 23rd November 2007 at 14:42.
Old 23rd November 2007, 14:36   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Im sure I wont need security for you, Im talking about the tobacco companies.
Old 23rd November 2007, 14:58   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it stupid not to learn lessons from other people, whether personally or nationally?

Especially when they have spent a great deal of money on that experience.

What's wrong with taking advantage of someone else's spending to tell us that, for instance, seat belts are a good idea and smoking is a bad one.

If you wanted to go through through the Indian rule book and revise everything that is there that dates back to colonial days, and much of which was written to suite the purpose of the British rulers rather than the Indian people --- well, that would be a massive job but probably a pretty good idea!

India already has another country's laws!

Hey! Look's like I'm beginning to talk like an ex-Brit as well as an ex-smoker!
Old 23rd November 2007, 15:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

^^ I dont know about the laws but our constitution was written after reviewing constitutions from all over the world.
Old 24th November 2007, 14:29   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
First of all, i think you need to stop harping about the west; this is India, like it or leave it.
The next time a car company launches a old version of their car instead of the latest one avaliable abroad, this line should be remembered .
Old 25th November 2007, 10:49   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Im not asking anyone to follow rules from the west, but shouldnt they follow rules that already exist in India.

However if the West does have a law that makes sence or involves forward thinking and will benefit citizens there isnt any harm in it being implemented by our country too if it gets passed by Parliment.
Therein lies the problem. We have to wait for the Parliament to pass laws and police to enforce it. Why ?????

Case in point - In Mumbai there are vigilance squads catching and fining people for littering the streets. And things do get out of hand when people are caught if media reports are to be believed. Yes I know - some one will say let the govt. provide us bins so that we can throw stuff in bins - but how many of us really do that ? The bins get stolen within hours and if they are not stolen , they are ignored and we continue littering on the streets.

Does the govt have to teach us the basics like not throwing stuff on the road ? Why ?

I am sorry if this post is off topic.
Old 26th November 2007, 06:02   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ I dont know about the laws but our constitution was written after reviewing constitutions from all over the world.
....except the British Constitution, because that country does not have one!
Old 26th November 2007, 06:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
....except the British Constitution, because that country does not have one!
Actually they do and it was used in the Indian constitution Constitution of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 26th November 2007, 06:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

I meant exactly this: "the UK has no single codified documentary constitution".
They basically follow the principles of the Magna Carta, and precedents.
Old 10th September 2008, 00:34   #74
Team-BHP Support

Ban on smoking in public from October 2

I am not a smoker, and I have never smoked. Still I find this law ridiculous. Banned from all public places? Now people have to go underground to smoke? Now police have one more excuse to harass people and take bribe.
Old 10th September 2008, 01:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this law is ridiculous to say the least!
Don't know what Mr. Health Minister wants to prove. What about the other forms of tobacco?
And what about alcohol? Isn't that supposed to be bad for health too? May be he'll introduce a limit on the amount of alcohol served to an individual in the future

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks