Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2007, 13:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Sorry for the ignorance but can someone please tell me what the process is to get a international driving permit? And is there a time frame for which this stays in force? And what are the approximate costs involved?
Here is the info for Karnataka: PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT (I.D.P)
Old 13th November 2007, 14:06   #17
BHPian

Here's what I did when I went to Germany..

I had got an IDP done from India prior to going there. The IDP had only a certain validity ( I am not sure how many months).
When I wanted to apply for a regular German drivers license after the expiry of my IDP, I was given the option of surrendering my Indian license in favour of a German license but I was required to pass the written test and the driving test. I could however skip the mandatory hours of driving that one has to do before giving the test as I already had an Indian license.
I did just that and got my German license. I am not sure if car rental firms in Germany would rent a car just on your Indian license.
Old 13th November 2007, 16:58   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post
Many thanks for bringing this to my attention. Cheers mate
You're welcome --- but do please check on that link for yourself, just to be sure!

An IDP is valid for 12 months from date of issue

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th November 2007 at 16:59. Reason: added IDP info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks