Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2007, 14:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, those buggers know really well what they want.Mostly electronic goods.My friend's cheque book also got stolen that time but they couldn't draw out money.There was a page lying at his house with 50-60 signatures that they have tried to fake his signature it seems.Also his credit card got used once in a petrol bunk next morning itself .With all those clues also the Police couldn't lay their hands on the thieves.
There is nobody in that house but I told my friend to inform the police about the incident.
Move to a apartment with good security as soon as possible.You'll have to shell out more as rent but better to be safe then sorry.
Old 13th November 2007, 15:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

These guys will monitor the movement for 2-3 days & will struck between 2.30-3.30 am.

Breaking the lock or even the main door is not a big task. Primarily Crowbar will be used to break open the main door or rear door. First preference would be the rear door as it will be flush door in general unlike the teak on main doors, which is comparatively difficult to break open. Another advantage is mostly rear entrance will be aloof. They will have small torch light or lit matchstick to carry out their jobs.

Sometimes once the job is done they will keep those valuable under a safer place (like bush or inside a road side dust bin) and will collect it later (say at 05.30am).
-------------------
On the grill doors, we need to fix a plate outside of the locking area, making it difficult for them to break open the lock (the grills outside the rear entrance & main door)

All the windows grills needs to be permanently screwed (like nailing the screw into the wooden frame)

All the bathroom windows grills needs to be inserted and pasted onto the walls (no screws) (small square type grill has to be in place, that means he need to cut minimum of 12-15 rods to gain the access)

Keep lights on (all sides of the house). This make the job bit difficult for them.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...nce-thief.html - Flashed into my mind

Last edited by Surprise : 13th November 2007 at 15:15.
Old 13th November 2007, 16:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Very sorry to hear this man.
Old 13th November 2007, 16:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Really sad jassi ,although the chances are slim but still i hope that you get atleast some of your stuff back.
Dont even wanna comment about the Cops.!

Quote:
1) Sony PS3 along with the power cable, hdmi cable and optical sound wire
Sigh....
Old 13th November 2007, 18:38   #35
BHPian

Dear J,
felt very sad on reading your helpless condition that night, so sorry for your troubles, i can understand the vexation and hopeless state we suffer when the authorities themselves throw up impotently.Hope in a week or two you get a call from police asking to identify your belongings(wish it will happen becuase as kaushik has pointed thieves seem to be on act even daytime).

well atleast you people in blore are scared of thefts during nights, in hydbad thiefs are breaking in in broad day light.two weeks ago a group(read 4-5) posing as internet walla entered a house(duplex on and near to main road ) for monthly bill.The guy(owner ) is a C.A.Only the housewife,her 16yr son and 18something daughter are home. The guy is rich and left for office then. daughter is upstairs and these burglars held wife and son at gun point(knives also) and tied up them. later they tied up daughter also and leisurely started looting and packing. mean time son and wife managed to free themselves and son ran out shouting and alerting neighbours. the thieves also understood the situation and ran out but nieghbours and other people chased and managed to catch one bad guy.
later police managed to nab everyone( i think the landlord in question is influential). it came to light that the leader of the gang worked as driver in the same house and so was aware of the entire family and their timings. even the gun they used is a toy .
but in general independent houses are safe only for families where someone stays at home all the time. Bachelors can better prefer apartments as they atleast will have only one door to access (getting in and out through bathroom grills will be impossible in many cases).So, securing well one door is rather easy and safe. even for families where everyone goes out most of the time, apartments are more preferable security wise. However if it is a gated community where everyone is closely watched ,its safe.

These burglars ,you see, gather informattion about their target by posing as hawkers and bicycle merchants. they even chat with local construction workers or tea-stall wallas to gather info.The risk is more these days if people around identify you as a easy money earner(in their opinion ) like a software pro or real estate man, you more prone to be part of public chats in that area(more so if you are an outsider). burglars prefer outsider more than settled locals becuase they may not have some influence to force the police latter where as a settled local person may have some connections in the upper circles. So people take some care in this regard, if you are living in some posh area/house alone or with everyone goign out frequently and if you are an outsider to that city, better shift to some gaurded apartemnt or housing complex. Or get the house secured well and insured.

even those living in pent houses in apartments are also prone to these attacks , so take care. penthouses without occupants (being aloof from any visual observations) are easy prey to burglars.

also one thing: in case where 2 or more bachelors live together and someone's timing is that he leaves while others are still sleeping(like early morning shift or jogging), then please dont leave the front door (or whatever) unlocked with confidence that someone is still inside. things like mobiles and credit cards(wallets) can easily be snatched this way. better install some godrej lock which can be opened both from inside and outside.
Old 13th November 2007, 18:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this Jassi. Our house also got burgled a few days before Diwali last year & believe it or not this happened while both of us (Me & my Mother) were in town & had left for office at 10 am. It seems that the thief was a guy who was a local-chaatwallah & in the day would go around the area looking for unguarded houses.

Our guard who's normally at home in the day was on leave due to bad health. So these guys struck just after we left taking away practically everything including my mother's jewellery, valuables, her licensed gun etc. etc. The *******s even had the guts to eat cake kept in the fridge & drink cold drinks.

Anyways like you we too reported to the Police only difference being that the then SSP of the place was our relative so the action was swift. But despite the whole drama of Dog squad, Finger Print experts etc. etc. they could do nothing.

However, on a happier note the thieves by accident did get caught after a month or so while attempting another robbery in the same area. And while most of the Jewellery, Valuables etc. were never recovered, our Gun was recovered & that was important as that could lead to future complications with the police.

In closing, have hope but it seems unlikely that anything will be recovered.

Last edited by iraghava : 13th November 2007 at 18:43.
Old 13th November 2007, 19:26   #37
BHPian

I dont have much hope with the police. Just went to the Mahadevpura police station and met the sub-inspector (shivanna) from crime investigation team who had come yesterday evening before the fingerprint guys had come. He gave me a copy of the FIR and on inquiring about fingerprint teams inabilities, pointed that thieves are clever they may be wearing gloves I guess I can get my house full of fingerprints cleaned, no point in that.

They want bills of all the stolen electronics, which I said maybe difficult to get as somethings are bought in US, some are 1+ yr old and other bills were there in the harddisk ka box which was stolen with the harddisk. Then he said, we cant ascertain value of stolen goods, please come morrow and meet ACP G. Guruswamy (S.H.O who had also visited my place for few mins yesterday) and explain to him.

There was no hints on what they are going to do, what are the next steps, etc.
I also inquired if there was a complain from kagdaspura for yest night attempt. They seemed to know (or were faking) and said the boys maybe roaming around in daytime checking out and at night attempt to break in but no fingerprints I just walked out.

I don't even feel safe in this house anymore. I guess I need to find a new gated secure place asap.
Old 13th November 2007, 20:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Oh jassi that a really traumatic experience, I also had a similar experience but with happy ending atleast for me. Last year a couple of days prior to X Mas i had paid up for my car's advance in cash.The same day i had driven to Cochin and came back to Trivandrum so was dead tired and was sleeping like a log , when my dad who was sleeping downstairs heard some crumbling noise at around 0430 Hrs in the morning. he called me on my mobile and told me that there was someone on the house as we could make out from the noises from my brothers room which was unoccupied at that time.At this time i noticed that my room was also completely messed up with drawers pulled out and stuff strewn around , not the state that i had left it when i had gone to sleep.

Dad silently called up the police emergency number and told the matter . Then we both ran up and bolted the door close from outside as there is no exit from that room. Then we waited cooly (after waking up a couple of neighbours) for the police to come and then we saw the guy ( police arrived in under five minutes) , clad only in his underwear and fully covered in some black oil . looked and smelt like shoe polish to me.And he had a big " Malapurram Kathi" - dagger. His teenage face never showed any sign of remorse when the police guys were raining fists and kicks on his body.

But in the mean while we did find out that he had take my handy cam and digital still camera and had placed then in a bag on the terrace for his easy get away in case something went wrong. What worked against him was the spring loaded doors , which keep the door shut in all the rooms. He had broken three locks on the door from the terrace to gain access in the house.

Now the house is secured by BOSCH Security systems , motion sensors, door sensors and even SMS and call alerts. And of course bigger and more complex locks.

What scared me ****less was the concept of having a dangerous , and armed robber walking around in my bedroom and looking at and taking stuff that was packed away with me snoring away to glory !

Jassi do get some insurance and some robust systems in place ASAP, they say better late than never

Last edited by hellstar : 13th November 2007 at 20:11.
Old 13th November 2007, 20:09   #39
BANNED

Agreed, monitoring gadgets are required, but more than that, it helps if you keep each room of the house individually locked and latched. If you had simply closed and latched the bathroom door, the thief would have been trapped inside the bathroom!!!

At least, that is the "procedure" we follow here.
Old 13th November 2007, 20:15   #40

Hi Jassi,
Whatever happened was really sad man, wish u get all ur valuables back. And about the cop scene, am telling u these morons will do nothing.
They would further complicate the matters, and trust me they would, not trying to scare you man.
The other day while coming from office, a drunken driver driving a zen rammed into my brand new swift, on the right hand side, and the damage is major...the estimate is 81 thousand, but insurance is taking care of that.
I will post the detailed report with pictures maybe tomorrow or day after, cos a bit held up with work.

Note from the Support Staff: Please avoid excessive dots, and avoid SMS
Old 13th November 2007, 20:31   #41
BHPian

man that is even more dangerous - imagine if I had come in a day early on sunday late night instead of monday noon and walked in on these jokers my punches and kicks vs 2-3 guys with knives!! I guess its safer to have lost stuff than lose life while attempting to save stuff.

I am looking for places morrow and will shift asap because now these guys know my movements and can attack any time given that they know there is a tv n all inside which can still to be stolen. As soon as I move will have some anti-theft stuff fitted and get insurance!!
Old 13th November 2007, 20:49   #42
BHPian

Very sorry to read all this.
Bangalore does not seems to be a safer place anymore. specially Independant houses are very vunerable to thefts. In our Area, South Banglalore(BG road), there have been many instances of thefts, chain snatching etc... some of them in daylight.

As someone said, 2.00-3.30am is the time when these thiefs roam around and tries picking up small but expensive things like cellphone, gold ornaments etc if they find any window open at night. My cell phone which was kept at least 7-8 feets from window was picked up at night.

Be cautious.
Old 13th November 2007, 20:50   #43
BHPian

well yeah it could have been made more difficult by locking bathroom door and bedroom door, but I am sure he had plenty of time to break these doors, given the way he has broken open the cupboard door (pulled and ripped open) Ofcourse I agree the more things you do the more close to impossible it gets for thieves.

Was looking at bosch - below link maybe useful for prospective anti-theft device buyers Bosch - Easy Series Bosch Security Systems is your supplier of security and communication solutions, products and services
Old 14th November 2007, 10:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I am looking for places morrow and will shift asap because now these guys know my movements and can attack any time given that they know there is a tv n all inside which can still to be stolen. As soon as I move will have some anti-theft stuff fitted and get insurance!!
Don't worry about it. In general they don't prefer attacking a house where they already tried their hands. Instead they will target a different place with a hope they settle with that attempt
Old 14th November 2007, 16:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Don't worry about it. In general they don't prefer attacking a house where they already tried their hands. Instead they will target a different place with a hope they settle with that attempt
I chose to differ on this , statistics available with the National Crime Records Bureau, show that a house once burgled is 75% more probable to be hit again ,as not other miscreants know that the house has weaknesses, which might be covered up but nevertheless still existent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks