Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 09:03   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
... We went there identified the TV and took it home. Later we were asked to attend court..hold your breath...with the TV!!!!
A long time back, my TVS 50 got stolen from the school parking lot. A police case and recovery later (the police pushed some broken down, good for nothing vehicle on us!!!) we had to go to court .... hold on to everything ... with the TVS 50. What surprising in this - well, the court where our case was taken up was on the 2nd (or 3rd) floor and we had to carry this all the way up, to produce it!!!

All hail the King!
Old 26th September 2008, 09:55   #92
BHPian

I am surprised that you had to lug the TVS couple of floors up on a lighter note what happens if its a recovered Car or SUV
Old 26th September 2008, 10:37   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
I am surprised that you had to lug the TVS couple of floors up on a lighter note what happens if its a recovered Car or SUV
Not only you, but all of us were. Even the cops / thieves / lawyers ( !!!) found there, were amused and had a good laugh.

Luckly we have one very muscular driver from my uncles workshop, who did the honor!
Old 26th September 2008, 21:18   #94
BHPian

i went to court

Well this was an experience, tiring but I got to see what goes on in a court !!

So I went in to morning to office and search the city hall court cause list online High Court of Karnataka - didn't find anything for our case. Walked out of office on mg road and reached the court at 11am. My ex-neighbors (2 of them) who had signed as witnesses on the report were also called. We all left our works and landed up at Mayo Hall court.
There was a court police guy, who we synced up with and he said our turn will come up soon. We kept waiting for hours till it was 2pm lunch time.
Then we were told our turn will come at 330pm post lunch. We went and came back from lunch by 3pm and we were not called in till 5pm, ours was the last case. Full day wasted, but here comes the fun experience.

Finally we step in and immediately I am told to not cross my legs and sit, and my ex-neighbor is told to take his cap off and sit properly or we will both be in contempt of court !! Anyway we settle down and the thieves are there in the same hall, staring at us ! There were also 2 lawyers one for the thieves and one against the thieves. Lets call em good_lawyer and bad_lawyer.

I am asked to come to the witness box and sworn in to testify. I am allowed to speak in hindi and english as I don't know kannada, phew !
Now here goes the questioning
good_lawyer - can you tell me where you stay
me - i stay in kormangla but robbery happened near drdo where i was stayin earlier
good_lawyer - can you give that address
me - uh, i dont remember. mmm, its blah blah behind drdo, phew
good_lawyer - can you explain what happened that fine day
me - yeah, i came back from diwali vacations, blah blah chitter chatter
judge - speak slowly, typist is not there i am writing your statements
me - oohh ok, so then i saw all items stolen and called police, yippety yap, (after all i speak at tech conferences as part of my job, hehehe)
bad_lawyer - staring at me like i am his enemy
good_lawyer - so did the police call you after FIR
me - yeah they did as they found some items because of the detailed pics, serial nos., i had provided and i went to airport police station and identified some stuff. I also saw the criminals in custody, but don't remember faces
good_lawyer - your honor, i rest my case (flares his coat and sits down in filmy ishtyle)
bad_lawyer (staring at me as if i am lying) - these items that have been stolen, how can you be sure of that.
me - what!! its my house, cupboards broken, bathroom grill broken and stuff gone. it means its stolen!!
bad_lawyer - oh hmmm ok, you didnt give bills
me - are you kidding me!! I gave all bills and detailed write up with photos which helped catch the crooks
bad_lawyer - aaah but you didnt give bills instantly
me - no the next day
bad_lawyer - your honour, note maadi
bad_lawyer - these watches that are stolen, you have not mentioned the brand
me - they are not branded, they bear my company logo as they were gifts to employees and i have mentioned that in report
bad_lawyer - but you didn't mention brand, did you
me (kinda peeved now) - yeah as you say sir
bad_lawyer - 200usd stolen, did you give any denominations of what notes?
me - what!! do you know what notes you have in your pockets now, just tell me how many 10 rupee notes you have
bad_lawyer - sir i am just doing my job, please answer yes or no
me (smiling and realising poor chap he is appointed by gov to represent thieves) - No, thats impossible
bad_lawyer - have you got the recovered items to court today
me - what!! no way
bad_lawyer - no further questions

Now its my ex-neighbor's (ex_n) turn and he is sworn in
good_lawyer - do you stay in same building and tell us what all you saw
ex_n - yes sir blah blah robbery yap
good_lawyer - no further questions
bad_lawyer - so what direction is the house
ex_n - what direction - east facing, thats how the whole house is. how is that related to robbery ?!?!?!
bad_lawyer (eye balling my ex_n) - are you his friend also or just his neighbor
ex_n - neighbor, but we are kinda friends too
bad_lawyer - so you are helping him as a friend
good_layer - your honor i object
judge - overruled, answer the question mr. ex_n
ex_n - no no how can you say that, i was called to make a statement by police so i came!!
bad_lawyer - ok you may leave
judge - is there another witness
court_police - yes he is here mr. ex neighbour 2
judge - ok noted and he may not approach the witness box as he is excused
ex_n2 - man i was here all day and i didnt even get to stand in that box
judge - i heard that, please leave the court!!
me, ex_n1 - muffling our smiles :-)

They then start questioning thieves, etc and we walked out
Now court police guys says judgement will happen in few months and they will be in jail till then. We pay him some kharcha pani 200rs and run like hell from the crazy place !!
It was a different experience, fun to see what happens in a court. but tiring enough for me to not wanna go there again!!
Old 27th September 2008, 00:03   #95
BHPian

Wow! Superbly narrated Jassi! A once in a lifetime experience for sure.
Old 4th October 2008, 22:58   #96
Senior - BHPian

Hey Jassi - I quite surprised that the cops used the info you gave and caught the gang.

Most of us may not have even reported it, thinking it as a lost cause.

Good for you for sticking it out with the cops and getting your stuff back.
Old 4th October 2008, 23:02   #97
BHPian

thanks man - i hope after all the months of trauma and effort and finally the courtroom drama - these thieves get some guaranteed conviction
Old 4th October 2008, 23:38   #98
Senior - BHPian

So did you testify against them?

And are you going to move if you did?
Old 4th October 2008, 23:46   #99
BHPian

well as you can see from the courtroom narration, i didnt really testify against them - i did testify that robbery happened and items were recovered. And i already moved after the robbery

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks