Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Why do you think people stay visitors and not sign-up?
People are just too lazy. They don't like form-filling and e-mail verification 24 38.10%
They get most information without registering 44 69.84%
Many people think they'd rather be visitors than inactive members 19 30.16%
They are not regular visitors 9 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2007, 18:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3g0l4s View Post
It is a bit off topic but never came across a single ad till now on the web site ! how do ya guys manage then bandwidth costs ??
I dont know about costs, but allowing ads would be like agreeing to be like the car magz, which is praise everyone and offend noone, which is against the forum's intended purpose.

Thats primarily the main reason why this forum is popular.
Old 22nd November 2007, 19:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I dont know about costs, but allowing ads would be like agreeing to be like the car magz, which is praise everyone and offend noone, which is against the forum's intended purpose.

But question is still open "Managing the Cost How??".

I have been to many forums and I confess this forum has a class and that is because of its users, Moderators and Administrator.

I realy feel proud to be a member of TEAM-BHP.
No ads here but Team-BHP has ads on Magz, like in the add of JBL (Directed by Yeti ).
Old 22nd November 2007, 21:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Am not talking about those crappy banner ads mate , Contextual text based advertising such as ADSense is totally non obtrusive .

As sanyrs pointed out correctly , how are the site admins able to manage such a huge forum without placing a single ad ?

I am assuming that they are taking care of the bandwidth and hosting expenses from their own pockets .

Hats off to all the admins and mods for their effort ! Ya guys rock
Old 22nd November 2007, 22:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
I am not sure whether there is a thread on this or for that matter, anyone has closely watched this.

Everytime I log in, I see that there are more visitors active on Team-BHP than members. Ever wondered why? Read on...

This is the status on 21st November 2007, Approx 00:30.

Never have I seen this ratio better than 1:2. In fact, it is always less than that.

I understand that this is true with many sites and forums on the Internet, but I want to know your opinions about this.

Mods: I know this can be included in the suggestions for Team-BHP, but a discussion and poll would give better inputs.

FYI, more than one reason can be voted.
Many people are shy to post I suppose.

I was introduced to TBHP in 2004 by my one of my friends who is very knowledgeable in this field.

But he is still a visitor

There could be many more like him I believe.
Old 23rd November 2007, 07:36   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I like visitors. Visitors are fun and more interesting than you lot that I see on a daily basis.
Sam : Don't break our hearts with this kind of statements !

Last edited by mithun : 23rd November 2007 at 07:38.
Old 23rd November 2007, 17:23   #21
BHPian

Is this unusual?

1. This is common trait in nearly all internet forums!
  2. Many people feel shy on writing on forums (Fact: people fear public speaking more than death )
  3. People do get lots of info without registering
  4. Some people may not own any car, so they might think what is point of registering (eg. I occasionally browse Ferrari & Lamborghini forums, but did I register? No, obviously)
  5. Not everyone is crazy about cars.
Old 23rd November 2007, 18:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Interesting query; here is what I understand from my experience:

1. Unlike some other communities, ....
2. Again....unlike some other communities,...

3. As long as guests a...
4. Search bots : ...
We, the Support Team, are extremely happy with the way that things are.
i think another reason, i have read some time back, that in few companies, the fire wall would prevent the member to log in to the forums. Was it in this forum or another.

I could be wrong as well.

raj.
Old 24th November 2007, 12:08   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Many people feel shy on writing on forums (Fact: people fear public speaking more than death )
I agree with the public speaking part, but posting on a forum? You are behind a computer screen. Its not like you are facing a 100 people.

Quote:
i have read some time back, that in few companies, the fire wall would prevent the member to log in to the forums. Was it in this forum or another.
I dont think it was restricted to logging in only. Some firewalls had banned the entire community from being accessed in the office.
Old 24th November 2007, 12:17   #24
rippergeo

I signed up after a few days of browsing through the forum. Googling swift VDi reviews brought me here in the first place. Then I got hooked. I hate most
internet forums, but cant get enough of this one. Its almost my home page on firefox.

But seriously, how do the mods manage without advertising? it must be hugely expensive. what can the members do to help?

Old 24th November 2007, 12:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think the ratio must be more than what it is now, as in general 'googling' for cars, models, car makers, reviews etc., invariably brings up this website as one of the first few pages... Thats how I landed in this forum. Same way, most of those browsing / googling for anything related to cars cannot miss this site and once they are here, they will sure find it interesting.
But, to become a member, well, one has to own something on wheels or been driving something to become a member to post and discuss real life stuff.
I myself came across this website and been a regular visior since May this year to know about Indian car scene as I was planning to move to India for good and buy a car for myself, but I became a member only in September, 2007.. Thats when I got my Cedia in India...
Then comes the 'ego' factor (Now I am gonna be hit with hammers for this one...) If we don't own any vehicle and become a member, we feel shy of answering questions like "Hey dude, what car you've got... which bike you are riding now.."
Last but not the least, its male dominated website and no fairer gender around... so why become member... Jst kidding folks...
I am sure lot of females must be viewing this website but not iterested in becoming member for reasons we all know...!!!

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 24th November 2007 at 12:53.
Old 24th November 2007, 13:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Then comes the 'ego' factor (Now I am gonna be hit with hammers for this one...) If we don't own any vehicle and become a member, we feel shy of answering questions like "Hey dude, what car you've got... which bike you are riding now.."

Last but not the least, its male dominated website and no fairer gender around... so why become member... Jst kidding folks...
I am sure lot of females must be viewing this website but not iterested in becoming member for reasons we all know...!!!
I know at least 3 persons who don't own a car and browse BHP regularly. They are passionate about cars, they know stuff in both Indian and international automotive scene, but they don't sign-up no matter how many times I ask them to. In a way, it is true that mostly car owners sign-up. However, I wouldn't call it 'ego'.

About fairer sex, I seriously feel we need some more of them, that would bring a lot of charm into this community.
Old 24th November 2007, 13:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know at least 3 persons who don't own a car and browse BHP regularly.
Hi Raghu,
I am not talking about browsing. Yes there would be many like your friends who 'browse', but to sign-up as a member, thats where the 'ego' factor comes up. Let us call it shyness or kind of inhibition..
Old 14th February 2008, 00:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

About fairer sex, I seriously feel we need some more of them, that would bring a lot of charm into this community.

i agree completely but, imo i dont think they like the adrenaline rush from the cars as much as we do!
Old 23rd March 2008, 12:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Why are more guests present than members in our forum

I always wondered why more guests were logged in rather than the members.Why are they not a member when our forum is a free forum?dont they have any opinions or are they here just to read the opinions.This includes my brother who used to read through the forum almost a year before me even hearing of T-BHP.Your opinions buddies.
ram
Old 23rd March 2008, 15:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think a thread on this already exists.

EDIT: Found it! Here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-team-bhp.html (Why do we see more visitors than members on Team-BHP?)

Note from Mod - Thanks iraghava. Threads merged.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2008 at 20:59. Reason: Threads merged.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks