Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2007, 17:47   #16
BHPian

Bad idea. Don't touch the Indian flag with a flagpole — I mean a bargepole. You'll be amazed at the number of ways one can (inadvertently or otherwise) show "disrespect" to the Indian tricolour. The last thing you need is self-styled upholders of our glorious national culture descending on your house because the flag on your car hung too limply or had a spot of mud on it or something.
Old 29th November 2007, 03:56   #17
Team-BHP Support

sticker

If you're really adamant, stick a small (say, credit-card sized) Tricolour sticker on the inside - dashboard or pillars are decent areas for this without being too expressive.
Old 29th November 2007, 06:50   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post

Where the hell does GOI get the idea that they can dictate to the people of India who can and cannot use the flag and how the flag can and cannot be used?

Some IAS bureaucrat once tried to justify it to me by saying that the government had to do this to ensure that the flag is always treated respectfully. I laughed at him. The flag should belong to the people and they should be free to do what they like with it. its their flag. It does not belong to the GOI, but the babus and the mantris seriously believe that they are better than the masses, and they LIKE to keep the trappings and symbols of power for themselves.

India still has far to go before the masses, the politicians and the bureaucrats truly understand what "of the people, by the people and for the people" really means. We are only a fledgling democracy, and in our country the old elite classes still behave like Elites super class, and the rest of the country still accepts the authority and power of these elites.
I Totally agree. the respect we show for the flag should come from inside us, not imposed by some babus & politicos.
Old 29th November 2007, 11:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilinto View Post
I Totally agree. the respect we show for the flag should come from inside us, not imposed by some babus & politicos.
Maybe the babus are afraid that the Indian flag will become chaddis & bikinis a la 'The Stars & Stripes'.

So they've taken the precautionary measures to maintain the integrity of the Tricolour.
Old 29th November 2007, 11:47   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Maybe the babus are afraid that the Indian flag will become chaddis & bikinis a la 'The Stars & Stripes'.

So they've taken the precautionary measures to maintain the integrity of the Tricolour.
No, they don't care two hoots about integrity, because if they did, we would not be the most corrupt in the world. A criminal has no integrity
Old 29th November 2007, 16:40   #21
BHPian

If Indians want to treat their flag as a chaddi or a bikini, that should be their choice to make.

Americans and brits and frenchies have done that to their flag, but the idea that somehow their flag has been desecrated, or the honor or integrity of their country has been compromised is completely nonsensical.

This idea is purely an authoritarian argument "We will decide for you what is right and wrong and we will make you obey us".
Old 1st June 2008, 23:08   #22
Max
BHPian

well,

since child hood I heard in past that we (Indians) are not allowed to flag national flag (tiranga) on any other day except 15 aug and 26 jan. but while going through google i found this web site

Indian National Flag Foundation,Flag Foundation of India,National Flag Foundation India,Flag Foundation India,India

it says
Quote:
Flag Foundation of India was set up as a registered society under the societies registration act of 1980, a non-profit body in January 2002, after Mr. Naveen Jindal won a seven-year long court battle that enabled all Indians to display our National Flag with honour and pride at their homes, offices and factories on all days of the year.
Indian Flag,Indian National Flag,Flag of India,National Flag of India

Quote:
National Flag
Flag Code although is not a law within the meaning of Article 13(3)(a) of the Constitution of India for the purpose of clause (2) of Article 19 thereof, it would not restrictively regulate the free exercise of the right of flying the national flag. However, the Flag Code to the extent it provides for preserving respect and dignity of the National Flag, the same deserves to be followed.

Thus, the decade old legal battle was over and the Indian flag was finally free. The citizens got the freedom to express their nationalist emotions by displaying the Indian tricolor. This was victory of all Indians and independent India. Every Indian can now fly the flag with due respect as a result of Naveen Jindal's persistent and untiring efforts. Liberty has at last been bestowed on "We the People".
So, is it okay if i hang tiranga (indian national flag) in my office and at my home and also in my car etc?

please let me know, if its legal or not.

I feel its very important that we are allowed to hang our flag around just for the sake of boosting people morals and instinct towards their country. See how everybody else around the world is allowed to use their countries flag as they wish but we are not even allowed to hang it and use it on t-****s etc.?

I think it will create big impact if we are allowed to do so.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd June 2008 at 01:23. Reason: Thread merged with existing.
Old 2nd June 2008, 00:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

It is legal

A guy won the case a few years back for the same

Use it without any hassles
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

I find it as silly as Theatres in Maharashtra playing National Anthem before the start of movie.
Old 2nd June 2008, 18:25   #25
BHPian

It is allowed and legal to hoist national flag on any day. You have to follow some of the rules
1. the cloth used should be khadi
2. it should be lowered by 6pm
3. it should not be allowed to get drenched in the rain
4. it should be at half mast on days declared as mourning (death of President of India for instance)
5. when multiple flags are there, Indian flag should be the left most as you see if all the flags are at same height. no flag can be higher than Indian flag (say Karnataka flag for instance).
6. when flags of multiple countries are displayed, they should be arranged in alphabetical order
7. Indian flag should be buried for disposal and not burnt.

there are many more conditions. do not remember all of them.

the plastic flag sold at signals during Independence day and the table top ones are symbolic and do not have these rules. hence you can always have a table top flag in your office desk without violating any rule. you can have it inside your car. only Ministers/Governors/President/Judges/Army chief etc are allowed to display the flag outside their car.
Old 4th June 2008, 02:00   #26
Max
BHPian

well i was watching american chopper and there I seen how they had put american flag on their garage walls, so i was thinking about putting one such indian flag on wall of my office. Dont know if its okay or not!
Old 4th June 2008, 07:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
well i was watching american chopper and there I seen how they had put american flag on their garage walls, so i was thinking about putting one such indian flag on wall of my office. Dont know if its okay or not!
It is OK, as long you make sure that it doesn't touch the floor. Also since its outdoor, you might have to wash it once in a while so that the White colour remains white

PS: We have a tricolour on our house, hoisted all the way on the terrace, towards the front of the house.

cheers:
Old 4th June 2008, 07:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi8551295
when multiple flags are there, Indian flag should be the left most as you see if all the flags are at same height. no flag can be higher than Indian flag (say Karnataka flag for instance)
Hi folks, i had never come across the concept of state flag unless i came down to Karnataka, when i happened to see many yellow and red coloured flags.

1) Can someone tell me do we have any other state in india which have there own state flag ??

2)what is the whole concept of having a state flag ?

3) when did this originate in Karnataka?

Further i find the locals very passionate about it so just curious to know more about it.

Last edited by jango : 4th June 2008 at 07:40.
Old 4th June 2008, 07:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
It is legal

A guy won the case a few years back for the same

Use it without any hassles
IIRC it was one of the Jindals.
Old 4th June 2008, 07:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
IIRC it was one of the Jindals.
Wikipedia says

Prior to 2002, the general public of India could not fly their national flag publicly except on designated national holidays. Only government offices and higher functionaries of the government could do so. An industrialist by name Naveen Jindal filed a Public interest petition in the Delhi High Court, seeking the striking down of this restriction. Jindal apparently flew the flag atop his office building, but as this was against the National flag code, the flag was confiscated and he was informed that he was liable to be prosecuted. Jindal argued that hoisting the National flag with due decorum and honour was his right as a citizen, and a way of expressing his love for India.[8][9] The case moved to the Supreme Court of India, which asked the Government of India to set up a committee to consider the matter. The Union Cabinet amended the Indian flag code with effect from 26 January 2002, allowing the general public to hoist the flag on all days of the year, provided they safeguarded the dignity, honour and respect of the flag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks