Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 10:06   #1
BHPian

How to avoid people making dents on your doors!

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use more than two smilies per post. Thanks

How to avoid people making dents in your car door?
When cars are parked parallely, I have seen many people simply bang open their car doors not minding that their car door hits the adjacent car's doors and creating dents/deep scratches. This phenomenon is seen predominantly with the so called elite/educated lot. And also people coming in very old cars, never care about anything. Simply bang on your door.
I am a victim of this no sense people. But luckily for me the dent is minor. Visible at one angle only.
Do they do it for fun or out of jealousness?
I was just thinking how we can avoid such issue.
Some outrageous thoughts which came to me:
1. Every car should be magnetised with one magnetic pole. So when the other car door comes close to your door, due to the same magnetic pole it will be repelled. No dents/scratches formed
2. An intelligent Proximity sensor which will sense the other car's door coming very close to your car door. This will immediately trigger a high pitch siren and scare them away.
3. An intelligent system in your car which will make your car fly from the parked zone when it senses the other car's door coming very close to your car door. It will stay in air for sometime and fall back slowly to its original lane once the other door is closed. Can.'t help in the meantime if someone else occupies your parking lane
4.have many more such ideas.....but won't have time to elaborate everything in detail.

cheers:
Arun

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2007 at 12:51.
arunkumar_rec is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th December 2007, 11:19   #2
BHPian

Comeon Buddy, This is a way of life, you can not run from it, I know it hurts, but that's life, full of thorns.
Actually these people are just careless, and they could not care less even for there own cars.
You could try to source some rubber strips to protect your car from theese type of scratches. Or A external rollcage may also help.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:29   #3
BHPian

You are right Sumit. It hurts badly. Once this guy who made a scratch(not the dent) on my car door while opening his door rudely didn't even bother to apologise. I could have fought with him, but you know there is no point in fighting with idiots. I just gave him a smile and showed him the scratch he made. He just said, "i didn't see". Thats it and he pushed off....
Old 13th December 2007, 11:37   #4
BHPian

come to mumbai. live a few days trying to park at areas like kalbadevi / crawford market / dadar / andheri / ghatkopar.

go back to your city.

now you will see yourself forgiving everybody even if they hammer your car.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
An intelligent system in your car which will make your car fly from the parked zone when it senses the other car's door coming very close to your car door. It will stay in air for sometime and fall back slowly to its original lane once the other door is closed. Can.'t help in the meantime if someone else occupies your parking lane
Arun, this is the best idea of the lot ....if at all its implemented, you will see many cars flying in air outside all busy shopping malls in Mumbai .....
Old 13th December 2007, 11:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Try to eductae them in first place pointing their mistake but most educated fools wont even bother because thats how they are.

Get side strips to prevent them.

Nothing else can be done.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well guess the parking should be done lil sensibly atleast by the person incharge like the parking attendant...
well i have experienced both i can say....well took care tat i didnt scratch the other persons door
Old 13th December 2007, 12:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumar_rec View Post
3. An intelligent system in your car which will make your car fly from the parked zone when it senses the other car's door coming very close to your car door. It will stay in air for sometime and fall back slowly to its original lane once the other door is closed. Can.'t help in the meantime if someone else occupies your parking lane

Love this idea, the very fact that your car starts flying will scare the next guy.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:13   #9
BHPian

I would suggest either installing a Colour Thrower with Permanent Paint, based on the likes of Flame thrower- In all 4 directions...! Pref with a Multi Sprayer...lol

But on a serious note, Hardly anything much you can do about this, As pointed above try to reason with the person if you do catch them in action.

Otherwise follow the Munnabhai "Get Well Soon" campaign and keep sticking Post It's on the Offending car.

I usually write Post It's to people who park blocking my car and don't mention their entry with the Guard so as to call them and remove the vehicle.

I also Write my contact number or visiting location on a Post It if I have to park back to back, Usually leave the Handbrake Down.

Same thing is followed by India Habitat Center, if they spot any car parked which is blocking others, They Stick Posters all over the Doors,Glasses and Windsreen saying " I'm Sorry I parked my vehicle blocking others- I will try to be sensitive and sensible in the future"

Poor guys have to spend a good 20 min to unstick all of them off, with a Sponge and Bucket,Ironically provided by the Car Parking Staff Themselves.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 13th December 2007 at 12:32.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm very particular where I park my car and never park on public roads - its always in an enclosed/gated area: office, house, malls.

Office/House : obviously not a problem.

Malls: I search for spaces either at corners (so I'm protected by the wall on one side) or in between 2 cars with a wide enough space. I also try to finish any purchases and return to the car as soon as possible.

In traffic: I never lose my cool or let emotion interfere with logic and have gotten my menacing glare down to a fine art thats so far discouraged any vehicles from coming too close or taking pangas with me.

Worked well so far.

Last edited by theMAG : 13th December 2007 at 12:20.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
1. Every car should be magnetised with one magnetic pole. So when the other car door comes close to your door, due to the same magnetic pole it will be repelled. No dents/scratches formed .
2. An intelligent Proximity sensor which will sense the other car's door coming very close to your car door. This will immediately trigger a high pitch siren and scare them away.
2 is quite possible just the way we have for Reverse Parking Sensors. Wish to see such a thing in reality
Old 13th December 2007, 12:36   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am a victim of this no sense people .
No dents/scratches formed .
a high pitch siren and scare them away.
someone else occupies your parking lane
cheers:
Arun
Rule #8. Smilie usage is restricted to TWO per post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...e-posting.html
Old 13th December 2007, 12:39   #13

fat man

This was hurting but eauqlly funny! I was standing near my car parked at a mall. The owner of the car parked beside me came and banged his door on my car door. I went to him and showed him what he has done. He was kinda smiling and said "sorry but you see my size i need to open the door fully to get inside my car" He he he he. He was quite true, i remembered of old adnan sami!!!!!! I too laughed as the scrach was not that deep
Old 13th December 2007, 13:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Well my case led to road rage from the other guy. This was at a signal.. The idiot driver in a Santro to the left of me, opened the door and it banged my side front door... he got down went to the boot, did something and when he got back in, again banged his door into mine.

When I asked him why he was doing it, he started yelling at me, asking me to stay calm and saying nothing has happened. When I reminded him that it was my car he had banged into, he started shouting and as soon as the signal turne green, tried to ram his car into my car's front and then obstructed my path... Finally he let go and ripped off.. I actually noted down the car number and thought I'll call one of the FM stations and let them know so as to humiliate him, but then let it go at that.

Educated, middle class guy who probably got down on the wrong side of this bed or had a bad morning with his wife. Thats all I could console myself with !!!
Old 13th December 2007, 13:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey! youve got lots of creativity in you. I liked the way your thought go. GOod. Probably something like this would come up in future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks