Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2007, 08:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Another pavement, Another Car running over it & a few more deaths

source

Another speeding car at 2.30 am hits a 2 wheeler, loses control & runs over the pavement killing 2 people & injuring several others. Wouldn't this fast car be equipped with ABS, EBD & all the works ? How do they manage to lose control ? or was it being driven by a total newbie ? we will never know the truth, i guess.

I know this particular road like the back of my hand, i have walked, jogged, cycled, ridden bikes, driven cars on this road for the last 30 years & i can tell you that it used to be a great road to drive on, but these days it is potholed, poorly lit, quite a few signals in between & overall, this is just not the road for speeding even if it was in the wee hours.

Here are a few more threads about the same kind of incidents
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...now-3-yrs.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...iscussion.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/15545-overspeeding-car-kills-2-pavement-dwellers.html

Last edited by esteem_lover : 14th December 2007 at 08:29.
Old 14th December 2007, 08:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats a real bad one !I feel bad for the poor people who lost their lives. May their souls RIP. Not even in the wildest of their dreams would they have envisioned something like this to happen. The driver should be flogged for his negligent driving. Will these guys never learn ? Maybe its a compulsive disorder.
Old 14th December 2007, 09:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

ABS, EBD and all the works are no guarantee for a safe car. The driver needs to know how to use these technologies, else they are of absolutely no use.

An experienced driver might have been able to do better in this situation even without the aid of these tools.

Also from looking at the condition of the car I would dread to think what kind of speed was involved here.
Old 14th December 2007, 09:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Sunil Kumar said a case of rash and negligent driving has been registered.
I think the fact these morons can get away with little or no punishment at all, just encourages such kind of driving. Also most often the victims are very poor and therefore will not have access to any legal help. People simply pay out of such crimes.
Old 14th December 2007, 09:46   #5
BHPian

Even the best car in the world with ABS EBD and all the works is still dangerous in the hands of a stupid driver.
Most car are designed to save the lives of people inside the car not outside.
I hope a very harsh punishment is given to the driver for such reckless driving only then will such people learn.
Lets hope justice is done in this case.
Old 14th December 2007, 09:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

first hand its negligent driving,together with lack of knowledge in the machine that you drive will help you to achieve this.and the fine should be that huge that no one should attempt this or would be more carefull next time.
ram
Old 14th December 2007, 10:14   #7
BHPian

Folks,
From what we read in the papers the car first hit a two wheeler!After this the driver lost control and ran over!No news if it was drunken driving.
I understand that so many lives have been lost,many injured...
But, Do we know if the fault lies with the car driver alone?This road as mentioned earlier has become the epitome of encroachements.It is a slippery road(Water works near it) and curves sharply to the right with an incline.
I am not justifying the act,but please as drivers imagine what could have forced this accident.
Sinagara Chennai is the only city where none of the governments have done anything in road widening or removing encroachments.Two wheelers,call taxi,and auto menace is highest here.BPO taxi's have joined in!
No wonder tamilnadu has the dubious distinction in the country with highest road fatalities.Absolutely nil traffic sense with the public.The system has to change.
Our politicians are busy staring tv channels...Poor lives are lost.May their souls rest in peace.
Old 14th December 2007, 10:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Pradeep, given the car make & model, what kind of speeds do you feel he was doing for it to have been smashed like that?
Old 14th December 2007, 10:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

The other day a lady was involved in an accident at Lokhandwala Back Road. A man was sleeping on the street. She didn't see him (because it was too dark), ran over him, the man got stuck in the tyre and was dragged 100 meters or so. He died eventually. And who was charged and arrested for it?! The lady. And the whole damned blame was slapped on her.
Old 14th December 2007, 10:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Pradeep, given the car make & model, what kind of speeds do you feel he was doing for it to have been smashed like that?

Hi, Don't get me wrong !I am not absolving the driver of his blunder.
He should watched out for two wheelers in the wrong direction.
Old 14th December 2007, 11:06   #11
BHPian

If the driver is guilty, either by the way of drunken driving or speeding, people should take the law into hands & the driver.

If cops are called these guys grease their hands & can be seen speeding again on the same roads again with any guilt.

Sometimes when see these guys getting out with a stupid fine I feel helpless that we can't go back to medieval times & enforce that kind of punishment.
Old 14th December 2007, 11:09   #12
Team-BHP Support

E_L, first of all this "lost control" phrase is a loosely described word. It basically just means that the driver could do nothing and the vehicle ran amock. Now, ABS and EBD can help under situations where you are in control just that you need rapid deceleration without going off track.

On the other hand for all that you know this guy (and anyone else in a similar situation) is probably half drunk (may not be) and is running like a maniac. Late nights when there is no one on the road its tempting for many to stand on the pedal. In this case probably before this guy even realized it the motorcycle materialized all of a sudden out of the darkness. With his kind of speed he just hit that guy even before he knew what happened. By then in panic he had probably twisted the steering violently and the car ran up the pavement killed a few more, hit a few walls or poles and finally ended up the way it did. No scope for all those fancy technologies to work you see!

Having said that I would like to add that such irresponsible drivers should be dealt with the most punitive of actions under the law. What kind of a jerk drives at 100+ in city limits?
Old 14th December 2007, 11:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Very unfortunate incident. It could be drunken driving or could be more things combined (two wheeler driver, car driver, road conditions etc.,). Our country is more prone to such things happening.

How can ABS, EBD prevent an accident. They can only help if the driver uses them while also being skilled.
Old 14th December 2007, 11:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Its pretty bad. We have seen these kind of cases earlier and these guys will get out of bail and will drag the cases in court for couple of years and get out scot free or with lighter sentences. We have experienced this many times and will do so unless our law puts in a stringent measures to curb this menace.
Old 14th December 2007, 13:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
The other day a lady was involved in an accident at Lokhandwala Back Road. A man was sleeping on the street. She didn't see him (because it was too dark), ran over him, the man got stuck in the tyre and was dragged 100 meters or so. He died eventually. And who was charged and arrested for it?! The lady. And the whole damned blame was slapped on her.
On one of early morning rides to Mahabi a few years back, I saw people jogging & doing exercise in the Middle of the road, this was still manageable but what I saw next was scary there was this old guy lying on the road doing some yoga , he wasn't in the middle of the road but wasn't at the edge either & this on a not so broad road.

As for the accident above If the driver is guilty then he should get punished but then again why doesn't some one launch a PIL against Municipal corporation for letting people sleep on the pavement.

Most Viewed