Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2007, 11:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Unmarked Tanker causes pile-up - 1 dead

Its in today's HT.

An unmarked civic tanker in the fast lane watering plants on the divider on the Eastern Express HIghway - a speeding Qualis crashes into it from behind as the tanker had no warnings displayed.

The Qualis turns over and bangs into a Scorpio which also overturns and all 7 people in the Scorpio are injured. The Qualis driver is dead on the spot before he could be rescued. Its being said that the Qualis was speeding and the driver had not worn seat belts.

well what did the tanker except the Qualis to do ? Crawl at 20 kmph in the fast lane ? ?

I have seen these tankers on the Vashi-Chembur highway too watering plants - no warnings on the back side of the tanker - just a person with a red flag walking behind the tanker to alert motorists in the fast lane !

When will we learn ? Flouting of basic safety norms on roads, govt vehicles being the worst offenders. Of course the job of watering the plants will most probably be outsourced but still.......

Anyways - may the deceased soul RIP. And lets hope the tanker driver gets punished.
Old 19th December 2007, 11:27   #2
BHPian

If it was some other country , few heads would have rolled among the Municipal authorities. In India life is cheap. !!
Old 19th December 2007, 12:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

If the Qualis driver had survived, he would have been arrested for rash and negligent driving.

By the way, I have seen tankers watering plants on the Palm Beach road at 7 pm. Forget warning signs, the tanker's don't have working tail lamps. Why can't the municipal authorities just install sprinklers. It's a one time investment. They will save so much on diesel in the long run.
Old 19th December 2007, 12:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

i think this one happened at 930am. it happened in broad daylight. why couldnt the qualis driver the a truck in front of him? i agree that these trucks are partially to blame since they dont have any warning signs or lights, but in broad daylight?
Old 19th December 2007, 12:17   #5
BHPian

Yeah, Lives are cheap in India. It doesn't need an accident to prove the point, just look at the lack of civic sense and apathy that people show towards others in Mumbai.

Coming to the accident, I regularly commute down the Eastern Express highway and the truck in the fast lane, watering the plants is a common sight. I have always wondered how dangerous it could be, unfortunately it got proved yesterday.
Old 19th December 2007, 13:49   #6
BHPian

This is the scene even in Bangalore.

On most flyovers or any roads that have medians(platform-type), one can find labourers cleaning the road with a broom, sometimews with small push-carts. One needs to be very careful. 'Expect the Unexpected' like they say. I have myself been in situations where I narrowly missed running over them. Very unfortunate state of affairs.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 19th December 2007 at 13:54.
Old 19th December 2007, 13:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

do agree that we give a dam about the rules here in India - but as akshay123 said - In broad daylight???

didnt the qualis driver notice the watering truck?

if one does not follow safely with one's own life, how do you expect others to care about it!!!

rule to follow when driving - always assume the others do not know driving!
Old 20th December 2007, 20:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

i blame the driver of qualis.he should be vigilant enough and he should be more worried about his life than others,when you know anything can be expected in india he should have been more alert.
ram
Old 20th December 2007, 22:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

everyday i see these tankers lined up or some kindof cleaning on roads going on at peak office hours,and ive even seen sewerage work going on at those times...now the question is WHY??(was asked by my boss few months back,as we were getting late for meeting and traffic was jammed because of the seweage work)

The contractor replied "Sahab raat ko log daru pi ke gadi chalate hai,gadi tez chalate hai,jawan ladka-ladki kuch deekhte nahi hai gadi chalate time,aur hadsa hone ka bohot khatra hai,humari jaan bhi risk per rehti hai har waqt,takleef ke liye maafi mangte hai sahab,Namashkar"....

These were the words,i still re-collect when i see these people doing city maintainence job in day time,now days if you see you will find the Garbage trucks carrying waste in those peak hours,earlier they used to take early in the mornings... Whom do we blame for this...!!!
Old 20th December 2007, 23:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
If the Qualis driver had survived, he would have been arrested for rash and negligent driving.

By the way, I have seen tankers watering plants on the Palm Beach road at 7 pm. Forget warning signs, the tanker's don't have working tail lamps. Why can't the municipal authorities just install sprinklers. It's a one time investment. They will save so much on diesel in the long run.
Cant install sprinklers. Water will get stolen from beggars etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks