Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2005, 10:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

IMPORTANT:Information on Statesman rally required

Hey guys

Every year, The Statesman in Kolkatta organises a vintage car rally. It is generally regarded as one of the best car rallys in India.

I needed some info on it. This could be in the form of people i could contact or databases of information on the event. If you do have anything, even say old issues of newspapers and magazines in hard copies, i can arrange with you for a photocop/original, all shipping and other charges would be paid for.

I would be highly obliged if anyone can come up with any leads, people to contact or sources of info.

Thanks

Revv

Note: Detailed or reliable information would be valued more.

Last edited by Revvmaster : 4th January 2005 at 14:58.
Old 4th January 2005, 12:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

our family owns a Ford 1928 Model A which my uncle enters in the rally every yr..
what exactly are u looking for ?
Old 4th January 2005, 12:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Thanks for replying in Hatari. I need info on the rally, as in when, where, how, rules and regulations, routemaps etc. I also need to know the class of cars, categories in which awards are given out etc. Details of organisers, sponsors, event managers etc. would be of great help and if contact numbers of the same are there, even better.

Any literature pertaining to the rally, say articles in newspapers, old magazines (auto and non-auto) etc. is also welcome.

If you have any of the above or any information which is useful with regards to the rally, please let me know. You can PM me such details. Thanks

Revv
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:38   #4
BHPian

The Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster View Post
Hey guys

Every year, The Statesman in Kolkatta organises a vintage car rally. It is generally regarded as one of the best car rallys in India.

I needed some info on it. This could be in the form of people i could contact or databases of information on the event. If you do have anything, even say old issues of newspapers and magazines in hard copies, i can arrange with you for a photocop/original, all shipping and other charges would be paid for.

I would be highly obliged if anyone can come up with any leads, people to contact or sources of info.

Thanks

Revv

Note: Detailed or reliable information would be valued more.
These are held in Kolkata, usually early January, and in New Delhi the end of January or early February.

I've been a judge here in Kolkata for the past few years and last year was invited to the New Delhi Rally.

It's name is a little misleading as it is both a Concours and Rally Event, the only one to my knowledge anywhere in the world! I wrote an article on it that was published in the U.S. and can be found on google "hemmings motor news calcutta concours" Worth a read. It was also published by the Jaguar Clubs of North America in their JCNA JOURNAL with pictures primarily of the Jags.

The Major Trophy Winners scores are calculated on 100 pts for the concours section, plus 50 pts for the rally section. The rally is through the city and the speeds vary for the older cars and the newer cars. In Kolkata the oldest car last year was a 1906 Renault with the cars going up to about 1970. They also include motor-cycles.

The New Delhi Rally excludes motor-cycles and cars from 1950 onwards under 1,500 cc. with the Rally flagging off from The Statesman House to a destination out side of Delhi, where they stop for lunch, and then return for the late afternoon Trophy Presentations. I would suggest you write to MR. KUMAR, the big boss, at both Statesman's offices for their rally guidelines as I believe they are different.

I just posted photos of most of the Delhi cars that were at the 2008 Delhi Rally for you check out

John

The Kolkata Rally was held last weekend with photos being posted, and the Delhi Rally is being held this week-end, judging is being held on Fri and Sat at the Modern School with the Rally setting off on Feb 8th from Statesman House.

Last edited by john a milne : 3rd February 2009 at 22:43. Reason: additional information

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks