Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2008, 11:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

ford and fiats are too costly to maintain.even ohc has to be really looked into.esteem vxi,accent gle would be good options.try looking for these cars and they have good A.S.S.best of luck.
ram
Old 18th January 2008, 11:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
ford and fiats are too costly to maintain.even ohc has to be really looked into.esteem vxi,accent gle would be good options.try looking for these cars and they have good A.S.S.best of luck.
ram
I own a ford and would say that the above statement is just a perception.
Old 18th January 2008, 11:22   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ford ...are too costly to maintain.
Welcome to the discussion, Ram. Would be wonderful if you could support this statement with facts. I am sure it would enlighten many other people looking at buying vehicles from the same maufacturer.

@ GTO : Isnt it high time the results of the TBHP ownership survey were published?
Old 18th January 2008, 11:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ram
I agree .
Old 18th January 2008, 11:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Welcome to the discussion, Ram. Would be wonderful if you could support this statement with facts. I am sure it would enlighten many other people looking at buying vehicles from the same maufacturer.
can't say about Ford but there were a couple thread running on Fiat spare part costs - one here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...al-motors.html. also FIAT Palio Stile finds mention here as the most expensive small car on spares http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-expenses.html

Last edited by jaibir : 18th January 2008 at 11:29. Reason: quoted text edited
Old 18th January 2008, 11:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ford and fiats are too costly to maintain.
I may differ here. The ford if maintained well, will return the same. If it is abused, it will not tolerate. Of course, the spares might not be as competitive when compared to MUL, but the vehicle certainly is. It is stable/driver's choice/performance oriented and what not. Take for eg: I give servicing of my ford only twice a year. The bill/servicing will come to around Rs.2500 and I feel it is not a burden considering the car gies to servicing once in 6 months / 5000 kms. Also, I go on long drives once/twice a month. The car has returned around 15kmpl on long drive (with 95% ac) and 12 kmpl inside city with 60% ac.
Old 18th January 2008, 14:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

too many for guys having other opinion.nice to know that.but my friends who are using ford ikons are really surprised by the spares price.most of them have sold the vehicles just because of this.the things are not different for the fiestas too.
ram
Old 18th January 2008, 15:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
too many for guys having other opinion.nice to know that.but my friends who are using ford ikons are really surprised by the spares price.most of them have sold the vehicles just because of this.the things are not different for the fiestas too.
ram
I personally know few people who own Ikon and they do not have any complaints.Same is the case with Fiesta. Have heard that Endeavour spares are clostly which might be because its a imported car and is in a higher segment too.Sure there might be price difference when compared to other brands, but what I feel is that its not that bad to be termed as highly expensive to maintain.

May be the "high cost" perception is because Ford is one of the very early foreign car vendor to venture into Indian market and they had high spare costs(compared to local vendors) due to import duties etc, intially before they setup their local plants.
Old 19th January 2008, 10:26   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ GTO : Isnt it high time the results of the TBHP ownership survey were published?
Yup , sorting through 2000+ reviews is a humungous task but we have a superb team working on it. We are trying our best to have it up and running in time for our anniversary (14th Feb).
Old 19th January 2008, 12:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ram
Ram, I too had told many guys looking for used cars not to opt for Fiats and Fords based on my perception that they were costly to maintain. Few of the lot have bought Palio (4 guys) and they were happy with their 1-2 years of ownership (remember those were used cars).

On the ownership survey, I bet not many has opted " I dont reco this car car" option as everyone will try to look at the positives alone when it comes to sharing the exp with others
Old 20th January 2008, 14:58   #26
BHPian

As a Ford Ikon Flair owner, i second snaronikar, joshdrive's comments. Ford's being costly maintain is a relative term. Yes they are more costly than Maruti's but the "very costly" term is misused here.

A friend of mine owns a Used WagonR and he is spending as much as i am spending on my Ikon for maintenance.

-Vaspro
Old 20th January 2008, 18:24   #27
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod - 3 threads created by you on the same subject have been merged.
Old 23rd January 2008, 19:03   #28

Hi Guyz

I found a Palio NV ELX 2004 model. It was registered in Chennai and Re-

registered by the owner in Trivandrum in 2005. Have done 28500Kms,5

new tyres and LPG Kit (endorsed). Is it a good buy for 1.90Lacs?..
Old 23rd January 2008, 20:06   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Welcome to the discussion, Ram. Would be wonderful if you could support this statement with facts.
As much as i respect your opinion, i agree to what ram said.

My friend has an ikon flair. He moved on to a Swift D (keeping ikon as second car) as ikon was giving low mileage figures coupled with high maintainence figures.

Also, in the spare parts survey conducted by ACI, Fords came out with high prices of spares compared to the competition. Although, the ikon came out comparitively well compared to other Fords, both fiesta and fusion have been shown to have sky-high cost of spares.
Old 23rd January 2008, 20:52   #30

I have an Ikon 1.6 for the last 7.5 years and done 63.5 K kms mostly on highways and have maintained it well.

I have an Alto too for the last 2.5 years and regular maintainence is more or less the same for both the cars.

The only pain being bodywork charges for Ikon being sky high as I tend to keep the car in top condition and folks coming on 2 wheelers and ramming into the car in all directions in Pune is a pain.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed