Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2008, 16:40   #31
BHPian

Cheer up, happens to chennaites as well

@n_aditya; your case is no differnent from what could have happened to anyone/anywhere in india when they are new to a place without knowing the language. In such a situation it would be wise enough to avoid it.

coming back to chennai, whatever you have mentioned happens to most of the chennaites as well, gone are the days, when people apologize when they feel they are wrong, now it is like 'so what if i have bumped into your car', so unless and until we are strong enough to give the guys a good beating or two, it is not going to help. i am not saying what has happened is right, just trying to stress that it can happen to anybody irrespective of where they are from.

Are chennaites Hostile to outsiders, definitely not, take for example, whenever cauvery issue comes, the state of the tamilans in bangalore becomes a high risk, it is not the same in chennai, we cannot even site a single incident like that.
(ps: mods to note -> am not trying to create a confrontation here, just stating a few points. if you feel not required please remove the last para)
Old 14th January 2008, 16:56   #32
BHPian

I would say, not exactly. Bangalore, Chennai and Pune top the list. Don't have any first hand experience of bad autowallas of Delhi and in Kolkata, they don't ply with meter but fixed shared cab rates.

But if you want an eye opener, come to Mumbai or Thane! Dude, this place if someone refuses you, he may as well loose his license to earn. Yep, I have practically seen that at Andheri station. Besides that, Night charges mean only between 12 to 5 AM, not 9 PM to 6 AM as it is usually in Bangalore (Not much in main Pune but quite a bit of that in areas around Hadapsar).

Oops, I realized I ran OT! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
with you totally. Like mentioned earlier, auto drivers are the same all over the country.
Old 14th January 2008, 17:06   #33
BANNED

Cauvery trouble in Ooty! - Sify.com

This is the case of a Tamil actress working for a Kannada film. Agreed that you condemn such instances. But can you get everybody in TN to agree to your views?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Are chennaites Hostile to outsiders, definitely not, take for example, whenever cauvery issue comes, the state of the tamilans in bangalore becomes a high risk, it is not the same in chennai, we cannot even site a single incident like that.
Note: Rest of the song was shot in Karnataka.
Old 14th January 2008, 17:14   #34
BHPian

I agree about the wuto drivers, try getting an auto on the ring road, they will ask for 200 bucks for a journey that costs 40!
Old 14th January 2008, 17:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have had the same experience the last time I went to ooty.

The first incident was at the TN border. Seeing the karnataka registered vehicle , they asked me to open the boot and they promptly removed all the bags and left it on the road. And they found a bottle of water which was in a cranberry juice bottle. The guy started saying that we are smuggling liqour, i was furious, so were my friends. I asked him to open the bottle and check, that bugger puts his dirty hand into the bottle and made the entire bottle of water undrinkable. I just threw it away. Then he asked for a bribe of 100 rs for having overloading the car. We were 5 people in a maruti zen. where are earth were we overloading.
One of my friend whose father was a forest officer spoke to those guys to and settled the issue.
We then asked those buggers to put our bags in the boot and they promptly did that.

This didn't end there. Everywhere we went on seeing the KA registration, we were stopped innumerable number of times and harassed for no reason. We were so frustrated that we cut short our trip and returned back the next day swearing never to enter TN again in my car.

What is happening with this people? Why are they so hostile to their own countrymen?

Recently I went on a trip to kerala, I never did face a single problem with either the cops or the people. The people were courteous and helped a lot.

Why is there a stark difference between the people of differnet states?
Old 14th January 2008, 17:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

There are hostile people everywhere, irrespective of class, creed, color etc. etc. Most of the times they are unbiased in dispensing the same too. And the tendency to accept your mistake has almost vanished.
One day when i was getting out of the business park, the wagonR in front of me stalled and rolled back into my car. The guy pulled over and so did i. Imagine my surprise when he accused me of banging into his car from behind!! I just had to laugh and walk away. This was a well educated person!
Old 14th January 2008, 17:52   #37
BHPian

IMHO it has nothing to about color/race. All it has to do about your class of living. And with that since the gap is increasing, hence you have all these kind of responses.

Take with a pinch of salt and move on.

~LT
Old 14th January 2008, 18:17   #38
BHPian

Hi,
I have no real memories of Chennai, which I only visited as a child; never lived there. So, my views are only of other cities I have lived in. Born in Calcutta, I have had my schooling in Allahabad (pre-school years actually), Kanpur, Delhi, Baroda and finally Calcutta. As a child one does not really have to bear the brunt of the kind of attacks mentioned by Aditya, and I have happy memories of all these towns.
For the last 6 years, I have been living in Bombay, after a brief stint in Lucknow. Most of Lucknow is immigrants, but if you venture into old Lucknow, you get to hear some of the most dignified languages. I was often pleasantly surprised to hear cycle richshaw wallahs warning pedestrians in front with a "Janaab, zara sambhal ke."
Then I moved to Bombay. A taxi wallah sitting in his car. I would ask, Nariman Point? Not a spoken word, just a toss of the head. Not able to comprehend, I would repeat my destination. Arre bola na baitho?
So, my initial reaction was of alarm. I was not used to people using anything but "Aap", and here everyone used "Tum", which I initially took as an offensive gesture.
Slowly, I realised, people here did not bother with niceties- they just did not have the time for all that. But slowly, I realised, at heart they were very tolerant and nice. Of course, incidents like the Juhu incident do shake one's faith, but in the few years I have been here, I have realised that the Maharashtrian and the Gujarati who form a large proportion of the Bombay population, are nice at heart and helpful in their own way. Even in the kind of traffic we face each day, I am surprised so few people lose their tempers. The crowds in the local trains are to be seen to believe. And you have people singing bhajans! In those trains!
This is an amazing city. There is space for everyone here, as long as you are not bent on changing all around you to suit your exact preferences.
So, I consider myself lucky to have found food and shelter in this city, and for Aditya and folks in his shoes, I shall say, as an outsider, I have never felt like an alien in Bombay. This is a a great city to be in. Work hard. Party harder.
Old 14th January 2008, 18:41   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
with you totally. Like mentioned earlier, auto drivers are the same all over the country.

My building supervisor/ cum security for the past 22 years- nice natured but arrogant suddenly became very vociferous and acting very funny. He took a loan for his house.

The loan was for a part share in an auto. ever since he became a member of the club, his attitude has changed for the worst!
Old 14th January 2008, 18:43   #40
BHPian

Move to Pune. You know all the local bars too
Old 14th January 2008, 18:49   #41
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Just like your experiences in chennai, I have similar stories to narrate in Bangalore mostly with the auto drivers, but never let it go beyond the verbal abuses.

I am from north working in bangalore, dont know kannada !!!
Me 2...visited bangy for 3 months to do a project with oracle. Faced some hostility from auto-wallas for speaking in hindi and telling them the way from majestic circle to dairy circle.

in delhi atleast, you will be taken for a ride by the auto-walla but wont face hostility. However, if u happen to be a woman trying to travel alone at night, then only god can save u...
Old 14th January 2008, 19:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Move to Pune. You know all the local bars too
.... and scores of PYT's. That thought did cross my mind when i was in Pune. But then home (blore) would be so far away.

That was why i had no hassles moving to chennai, since blore is pretty close by.
Old 14th January 2008, 19:32   #43
BHPian

infact I have seen ONLY Tamilian lots to be more like that. I run a shop in mumbai and I had seen lots of Tamilians who are not from mumbai try to pick up fight on every small issue maybe they think themselves as inferior about the color thats all.
Old 14th January 2008, 19:44   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
infact I have seen ONLY Tamilian lots to be more like that. I run a shop in mumbai and I had seen lots of Tamilians who are not from mumbai try to pick up fight on every small issue maybe they think themselves as inferior about the color thats all.
This is your observation, I request others not to misunderstand this as an attack/ insult.

Folks - let us not drill down into ethnic groups and characteristics. Focus on cities and you experience with the people
Old 14th January 2008, 19:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have to agree here with given2fly, once an auto guy took me to a destination, charge, 14 rupees without a frown.

I think mumbai taxi/auto services are more professional than anywhere else in india.

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
I
But if you want an eye opener, come to Mumbai or Thane! Dude, this place if someone refuses you, he may as well loose his license to earn. Yep, I have practically seen that at Andheri station. Besides that, Night charges mean only between 12 to 5 AM, not 9 PM to 6 AM as it is usually in Bangalore (Not much in main Pune but quite a bit of that in areas around Hadapsar).

Oops, I realized I ran OT! :(
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks