Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 15:04   #1666
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Had been to "Bageecha" near Kundalahalli Gate again! I don't know why I land into these bad places repeatedly. . .but, behold! This story has a happy ending!

As always, the party had a bad start, the chef's special was bland and cold, the supposed to be cold beverages were warm (hope you guys know what I mean ), couldn't get the brands what we wanted etc. etc.

I had to get hold of a supervisor and give him ear full of stuff and it worked magic. What followed was unbelievable service and great food. I wouldn't have dreamed about "Chicken Garlic Tikka" to be so succulent and soft, we ended up ordering 3 more rounds of the same dish and we also started getting whatever we wanted! I can't believe all these happenings

Guys,"Chicken Garlic Tikka" is a must have. . try it and let me know.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:45   #1667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter

Is this a new restaurant? Where is this in Bellandur?

Sammuk is another good restaurant in Bellandur and it is on the left of the ORR just after crossing the Bellandur junction while coming from Marathahalli.

On the opposite side of the ORR , there is Ruh which has great ambience but the food is just passable.
This is in the same building as Ruh! I don't know if Ruh is still there as I've not seen the boards recently.
Old 19th May 2011, 16:15   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
This is in the same building as Ruh! I don't know if Ruh is still there as I've not seen the boards recently.
Ah I get it now. This is probably the restaurant that was known as Arowana previously. It was closed for renovation a few months back. They probably changed the name now. Will have to visit this once I am back in Bangalore as I liked the food in Arowana a lot when I visited it last time. Do you work nearby by any chance? My office building is very near to this restaurant.
Old 19th May 2011, 22:43   #1669
BHPian

Had been to Kudla this last weekend Located at Raja Ram Mohan Roy Rd, near Mallya Hospital.

As it is a popular place among Mangaloreans, I was asked to get a reservation before going there. Reserved a table for two and reached there by 1:30.
The ambiance is good, the hotel interior looks like a typical old Manglorean house with stone walls and a wooden ceiling.

Food:
Ordered a Chicken Ghee roast, Kori sukka and a Fish thali. The Chicken Ghee roast was okay, not that great. I would give it 6/10. The Kori Sukka was actually good. But I have had better sukkas in Mangalore. So will give it a 8/10. The Fish thali was again not that great. It included a deep fried Mackerel, Boiled rice, Fish gravy (which was very good). A sweet ragi idly was also very tasty. And a couple of other items which I didn't even taste. I would rate the Fish thali a 7/10.
Overall I would rate it 7/10.

The damage: Rs 1000 for a couple.

I found everyone ordering Crab when I was there, Their crab dish must be a specialty. Will try crab the next time I am there.

Can anyone who is a regular there tell me what is good there,what to order and what not to order ?
Old 20th May 2011, 09:59   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Kudla has degraded over the years. Used to take my Japanese guest there for a 'real Indian meal' earlier (I prefer Sana-di-ge on Crescent Road nowadays). Their crab favorite used to be with lemon garlic butter - delicate enough to be able to appreciate the sweet crab meat. As a vegetarian colleague once remarked 'For 20 min there is complete silence around the table - the only sounds were cracking of crab shell and slurping'.

Kudla will be a complete disappointment for vegetarians, who have to go almost hungry. Just a couple of veg starters, and no gravy dish to go with neer dosa or kadabus. A colleague based in US (originally from Mangalore; unfortunately also a vegetarian), gave them a severe dressing down in Tulu for being so apathetic towards vegetarians, and vowed never to go there again.

The best CGR is at Coastaal Express above Shivananda Stores, who also serve a very good Fish Thali at lunch.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:13   #1671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Can anyone who is a regular there tell me what is good there,what to order and what not to order ?
Kane/Pomphret Masala fry, Lady fish rawa fry (Small fish), Crab sukka, Prawn Ghee Roast , Neer Dosey, Kori rotti + Ghassi .
I usually don't order Chicken dishes here.
Last time I ordered for Pomphret Masala fry, the price was almost 700Rs, It's way too much, medium size was around 450Rs.
Believe it, Crab(the bigger one) was almost 1K Rs. This was almost 3 months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I prefer Sana-di-ge on Crescent Road nowadays
Agree, nice place and nice coastal food too.
Sana di ge is part Goldfinch botel , just below Kabab Studio
Price is almost similar to Kudla/CoastIIcoast etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
The best CGR is at Coastaal Express above Shivananda Stores, who also serve a very good Fish Thali at lunch.
Coast II Coast @ Kormangala & Sringar complex MG Road are also equally good.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:21   #1672
BHPian

I had tried Grills and Curries last Saturday.

The buffet costs Rs 299/- excl tax. The spread is similar to BBQ Nation with the exception of Prawns. The quality is disappointing and the main course is not lavish.

The service is very very slow and they do not bring what one wants. The 1st batch of chicken that was served was good, soft and juicy; but after that it was all hard and not well made. The mutton was almost raw and the fish was just about OK.

Definitely not recommended.

Last edited by krish3 : 20th May 2011 at 12:25.
Old 20th May 2011, 18:04   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
... Coast II Coast @ Kormangala & Sringar complex MG Road are also equally good.
Someone had told me 3 years back that the Coastaal Express and these 2 joints are owned by the same person. Not sure, though.
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:40   #1674
BHPian

I am not sure if this this belongs on this thread.

Last night I thought of going on a late night drive, called up my friend and planned to go on a drive and have some hot coffee somewhere. Both of us are sick of Maddur, I simply hate driving on the Mysore highway and the new airport is again too close for a drive and too much traffic. So we finally ended up on the newly constructed Kolar highway (NH 4). As the roads are brand new, the drive was fantastic! No traffic, no potholes, no speed breakers and no idiots coming from the wrong side etc. After driving for around 50 kms we got pleasant surprise when we found a Coffee day. This Coffee day was much better than Maddur, nice beautiful place and good seating arrangement. I would definitely recommend this place for guys who love late night spins on their cars and who are sick of Maddur and the new airport !! BTW there were a couple of Dhabas open near that place too.

Here is the location:

13.135793, 78.015115 - Google Maps
Pri2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:01   #1675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Someone had told me 3 years back that the Coastaal Express and these 2 joints are owned by the same person. Not sure, though.
Yes. Even I have heard the same about the ownership.

Also Kudla + Parika are one group of hotels.
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:06   #1676
Senior - BHPian

Where's Parika at? Would like to try out sometime.
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:53   #1677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where's Parika at? Would like to try out sometime.
It's at HSR Layout.
Address
Parika ,Twin Tulips, No. 1086/A, 14th Main, 18th Cross, 3rd Sector, Near BDA Complex, Opp. to McDonald, HSR Layout, Bangalore

Please check the below post for a review
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2246377
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:24   #1678
BHPian

Had been to "The Great Kebab Factory" located in Mantri Mall. The service and ambiance both are great but, the food as such is not that great. I have eaten kebabs in many smaller restaurants and this place was a disappointment compared to all of them. . . I can hardly rate it as 5/10.
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:54   #1679
BHPian

Where can i buy quail meat and eggs in Bangalore? I have been looking out for these but have been unsuccessful so far.
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:09   #1680
Senior - BHPian

^^ Try Spar @ Bannerghatta road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks