Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 08:52   #1936
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If anyone likes Continental grub please try Rogue Elephant - it is located in Koramangala.
Any good conti food places in Indranagar? By good I mean VFM. Plan to order the food home for Xmas.
Old 8th December 2011, 10:17   #1937
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Any good conti food places in Indranagar? By good I mean VFM. Plan to order the food home for Xmas.
If I may..

I'm not sure if there are any places in Indiranagar, but the ultimate VFM continental restaurant in Bangalore in undoubtedly Veeks & Thomas. They have several branches around Bangalore. A few in Jayanagar and one in Koramangala. The food they serve is fantastic for the amount they charge!

Apart from that, you have Sunny's and Spaghetti Kitchen on 100 ft Road, but they aren't VFM.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 13:49   #1938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If I may..

I'm not sure if there are any places in Indiranagar, but the ultimate VFM continental restaurant in Bangalore in undoubtedly Veeks & Thomas. They have several branches around Bangalore. A few in Jayanagar and one in Koramangala. The food they serve is fantastic for the amount they charge!

Apart from that, you have Sunny's and Spaghetti Kitchen on 100 ft Road, but they aren't VFM.
And you can order online too. Veekes and Thomas
Old 8th December 2011, 16:04   #1939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
... Regarding the taste though, I was happy the first time, disappointed the second time and third time ...
Have you tried the new Pulimunchi Restaurant at the Vyalikaval/Sadashivnagar Bhashyam Circle? Did a take-away from that place last weekend. Not impressed.
1. The Chicken Ghee Roast was insipid - insufficiently seasoned and spiced. Nothing like the CGR from Anupam's Coastaal (above Shivananda Stores) which makes one crave for more
2. The Prawn Biryani was OK, but nothing extraordinary. I had asked for red gravy, they had packed raita instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
... dosas in shezwan and chinese flavors. The method of preparation was exactly as shown in the video below.
Hilarious! (Sorry, don't want to rain on your party)
* The narrator calls them 'D'osas, with the hard 'd' as in do, did, done - in true North Indian style
* The Bong fellow making the dosas (imagine!) cuts the dosas it in eater-friendly bite-sized chunks. Wish the TN paper-dosa guys do the same

But then, this concoction - and many other such odd ones - made an appearance in Dosa Camps (those kitchen-attached-to-an-auto ones) in Bangalore about 15 years back. I remember my wife having brought home one - just that ultimately she ate only the dosa, leaving the noodles for me.

One should try the "Chinees Chaat" at Lajpat Nagar Central Market stalls (and other places) in Delhi! Veritable monstrosities with oodles of pumpkin sauce (what goes as tomato sauce in Delhi) and chilly sauce, and chaat masala on top to complete the abomination. Yet people devour them like there is no tomorrow. The Chinese Dosa is far more innocuous a sacrilege on so called Chinese food. The ubiquitous nammooru Gobi Manchurian doesn't even raise eyebrows (of the Kolkata/Mumbai inventors of Chicken Manchurian) - God bless Pavithra Paradise Jayanagar who popularized it.
Old 8th December 2011, 16:24   #1940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Have you tried the new Pulimunchi Restaurant at the Vyalikaval/Sadashivnagar Bhashyam Circle? Did a take-away from that place last weekend. Not impressed.
1. The Chicken Ghee Roast was insipid - insufficiently seasoned and spiced. Nothing like the CGR from Anupam's Coastaal (above Shivananda Stores) which makes one crave for more
2. The Prawn Biryani was OK, but nothing extraordinary. I had asked for red gravy, they had packed raita instead
Nope. Which side of Bhashyam circle is it located? I agree with your assessment of CGR in Coastaal Express. It is one of the best dishes there.

Has anyone been to Naachiyar's Chettinadu restaurant near New BEL Road (Ramaiah Hospital)? I had been there a few weeks back. We had a few items, but loved the Chicken Roast. Don't remember the other items though.
Old 8th December 2011, 16:31   #1941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
... Which side of Bhashyam circle is it located? ...
Sadashivnagar side, right above the XYZ Sagar opposite Mast Kalandar. No parking there. Take the left towards the swimming pool, park and walk down.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 16:52   #1942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Its my opinion only! May be because I have had better chat in many other places!! and may be you should too!
Could you name the place where you've had better chaats, On a serious note, All my friends that i have taken to sagar loved the chaats there.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:12   #1943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Could you name the place where you've had better chaats, On a serious note, All my friends that i have taken to sagar loved the chaats there.
You could try Koshys Calcutta Chaats on Brigade Road. Its in a rather nondescript location, but the chaats are pretty good. Its quite old as well.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 11:21   #1944
BHPian

Paparazzi – Royal Orchid Hotel – Manipal Centre – Dickenson Road

For all you romantics out there, this is the place I recommend if you want to go for a date and your woman will love it. Allow me to share my experience.

I wanted to take my fiancée for a typical Hollywood date. Basically I wanted to ‘pop the question’ so I did my research a week in advance. For this, money was not the concern (as this would be a once in a while opportunity). Since I’m located in Mangalore and she is in Bangalore, I was a dud when it came to knowing places to eat in Bangalore, but that’s what google is for, right? I googled for the best places to have a candle light dinner and my priorities were quality of food and ambience. Stumbled upon Paparazzi and got to know that the view is amazing. Had a look at the pictures online and was already impressed. Located on the 9th and 10th floor, this place overlooks the Ulsoor part of Bangalore skyline from its amazing glass wall.

Time for my date, I personally went to Paparazzi a day in advance to book my table, wanted to ensure that the date goes perfect! The waiter recommended me the best table for two, a corner table overlooking two sides of Bangalore, north or west, I don’t know but the view is amazing. The place opens at 7pm and is they serve dinner only. The whole event was kept as a surprise from my fiancée as she was not entirely aware of my plans.

Next day, I bought her an elegant evening dress, I wore formals and we went to Paparazzi by car. The flight by elevator was amazing as one side is all glass and your stomach begins to churn as you experience the view during elevation. She was already impressed by now. We stop at the 10th floor, step into Paparazzi and are greeted by an all glass illuminated stairway that leads a floor below to the magnificent restaurant. You have to see it to believe it. By this time her jaw almost fell and we approached our table. The lighting is perfect, dim, candle lit tables, DJ playing the most popular numbers (no romantic songs, just foot tapping music), I’ve read online that they also have live bands on certain days, we sit at our table and she is all smiles.

Every table comes candle lit and has a fresh bunch of orchids in a vase. The staff is very prompt and courteous, they knew exactly why we were there and they did their best to make sure we enjoyed our meal. We started off with cocktails and it was very good. Meanwhile I popped the question and all is well. Coming to the food part, I went for Lacquered spare ribs and she went for Honey teriyaki chicken. Both our dishes were succulent, well laid out and prepared to perfection. We did not try anything else as we were already full and even managed to pack the leftovers to take home. To speak for the other items on the menu, their selection is pretty limited, they serve mainly continental food, focussing more on celebrity style food, so basically every dish on the menu is a favourite of some celebrity (google it for more info). Their selection of drinks and wine is extensive and the waiters are patient and helpful enough to elaborate on the items on the menu as well as recommend dishes. They will get you their collection of wine to your table in a trolley. Some of their dishes have won awards including the honey teriyaki chicken my girl ate.

For 3 cocktails and 2 main course items the bill came to 3k which IMO is reasonable considering where you are and what you get and most of all - the smile on her face, priceles!.

We spent two and half hours in that place and everything was just perfect, I did not have any room for complaint or criticism, honestly, I would go there again and would recommend this place for that perfect date!
alstonlobo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 00:04   #1945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
You along with your friends should try the chaat center opp. Gokul hotel near Navrang circle for a start. Especially try their masala puri..
Old 10th December 2011, 11:23   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
You along with your friends should try the chaat center opp. Gokul hotel near Navrang circle for a start. Especially try their masala puri..
Yes. I too know this place. It is a music CD/cassette shop which doubles up as a panipuri shop in the evenings. Their Masalapuri & panipuri is very tasty. It is one of those not-so-hyped up places (like Gullus or sagars or karthiks.. :P) around that part of Blore.
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 11:24   #1947
BHPian

For chaats, I trust only Gangotri....the one in high Point.
Old 10th December 2011, 14:24   #1948
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 12th December 2011 at 10:35.
whitesquall is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th December 2011, 14:26   #1949
BHPian

Quote:
Are you talking about the small chaat joint opposite Gokul hotel? I've always wondered why it is crowded in the evenings, Anyway i will try that too Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 16:24   #1950
Senior - BHPian

Err.... the two portions of your post have prompted ny post. You call 'proposing' a 'once in a while opportunity' so umm.... do you wear your heart on your sleeve or are you seriously considering popping the question again & then again?

Why did you have to manage packing the leftovers, did the restaurant staff refuse to do the needfull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
I wanted to take my fiancée for a typical Hollywood date. Basically I wanted to ‘pop the question’ so I did my research a week in advance. For this, money was not the concern (as this would be a once in a while opportunity).

We did not try anything else as we were already full and even managed to pack the leftovers to take home.

He he.. just kiddin' with you Alston, though would like to know your views on the 'opportunity' bit
My congratulations to both of you.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed