Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 12:26   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
^^ there is a Lazeez in the Rex Theater parking-lot on Brigade Road as well. I've been frequenting that place for years now. Pretty good, and very filling. Reasonable too, considering the prices in Bangalore these days.
Wow, I haven't been to Rex in ages. Blame it on the profusion of multiplexes in recent times.

If I remember correctly, there used to be a Nizam's stall in that Rex complex as well. Is that still there? Or has Lazeez bought that over? They were more or less in the same space serving rolls. Incidentally, both are Calcutta based chains, and very famous ones at that.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:42   #2117
Senior - BHPian

A few places in the max bang for buck category :-

1. Bombay Kulfi on MM Road : This is arguably the best kulfi in town, it took me long to figure out this place. But after trying around in quite a few places, including a Sreeraj Lassi bar.. This is the best of the lot. And is very authentic, reminded me of my childhood days have kulfi in Chowpatty!

2. Shivaji Marathi Mess in Banashankari : The mutton donne biriyani coupled with chicken fry is simply superb. You have to jostle for a place on weekends though, infact you quite literally have to stand against a table to get place once the people on the table are a done eating.

3. Chakum Chukum in Indira Nagar: Im sure this must be covered somewhere in this thread, but posting just incase its been forgotten. I've tried quite a few places which 'claim' to be the authentic Kolkatta roll variety, but this place gets the closest I've had in Bangalore!

Last edited by praful : 26th March 2012 at 12:55.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:48   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
A few places in the max bang for buck category :-

1. Bombay Kulfi on MM Road : This is arguable the best kulfi in town, it took me long to figure out this place. But after trying around in quite a few places, including a Sreeraj Lassi bar.. This is the best of the lot. And is very authentic, reminded me of my childhood days have kulfi in Chowpatty!

!
Can you please let me know the exact location / Pointer to reach here?
Old 26th March 2012, 12:56   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Here's the link to the place : Bombay Chowpatty Kulfi
Old 26th March 2012, 16:18   #2120
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Masala Art @ Kalyan Nagar last evening for dinner.

I liked the food,specially the starters.The main course was just fine.

BTW- Dont remember the name of the menu.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th March 2012 at 17:11. Reason: merging as requested
Old 26th March 2012, 19:41   #2121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Wow, I haven't been to Rex in ages. Blame it on the profusion of multiplexes in recent times.

If I remember correctly, there used to be a Nizam's stall in that Rex complex as well. Is that still there? Or has Lazeez bought that over? They were more or less in the same space serving rolls. Incidentally, both are Calcutta based chains, and very famous ones at that.
Yeah, I remember going to Rex a few months ago. Let's just say, the city has moved on. And rightfully so.

Yup, the Nizam's stall is (or has been for a while now) the Lazeez stall. I personally prefer Lazeez.

Quote:

3. Chakum Chukum in Indira Nagar: Im sure this must be covered somewhere in this thread, but posting just incase its been forgotten. I've tried quite a few places which 'claim' to be the authentic Kolkatta roll variety, but this place gets the closest I've had in Bangalore!
Chakum Chukum is not that great. They're okay. But if you've had authentic Calcutta rolls, this just wouldn't cut it at all. In fact, I don't think any joint in Bangalore delivers on authenticity. Even a decent plate of authentic Biryani is hard to find in Bangalore.
Old 26th March 2012, 21:11   #2122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307

Chakum Chukum is not that great. They're okay. But if you've had authentic Calcutta rolls, this just wouldn't cut it at all. In fact, I don't think any joint in Bangalore delivers on authenticity. Even a decent plate of authentic Biryani is hard to find in Bangalore.
Agreed.but so far its only place thats gets closest to the taste.

Authentic biriyani of what kind?
Old 26th March 2012, 21:38   #2123
Team-BHP Support

Dum biryani?

I've never had a 'nice' plate of that anywhere in Bangalore. I've been to the dingiest joints in Shivajinagar and Frazer Town, and some of the fanciest places too. Never been thoroughly satisfied with the biryani.

That said, the spicy Andhra biryani is available here, just like what you'd get in Hyderabad.
Old 27th March 2012, 09:40   #2124
Senior - BHPian

Agreed, I've yet to find a proper "Dum" biriyani place.

Do post up when you find one

Until then give Donne Biriyani at Shivaji marathi mess, its not a dum variety but its pretty good!
Old 27th March 2012, 11:07   #2125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD
I had been to Masala Art @ Kalyan Nagar last evening for dinner.

I liked the food,specially the starters.The main course was just fine.

BTW- Dont remember the name of the menu.
Ok, so it was you in the white trooper.... With a ltd sticker... Was following you down lingarajapuram flyover..
Old 27th March 2012, 14:56   #2126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dum biryani?

I've never had a 'nice' plate of that anywhere in Bangalore. I've been to the dingiest joints in Shivajinagar and Frazer Town, and some of the fanciest places too. Never been thoroughly satisfied with the biryani.
Did u try Hyderabad house.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Ok, so it was you in the white trooper.... With a ltd sticker... Was following you down lingarajapuram flyover..
Yes, it was me on my way to Masala Art.
Old 27th March 2012, 15:17   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dum biryani? I've never had a 'nice' plate of that anywhere in Bangalore. ...
That said, the spicy Andhra biryani is available here, just like what you'd get in Hyderabad.
By 'dum biryani' do you mean the one that they serve with a large whole potato in it?

Actually, all the different types of biryani served in Bangalore or elsewhere are 'dum biryani' - that is the only way to make biryani. If not, they would be classified as pulao, paella or risotto - which are cooked open.

"spicy Andhra biryani" is not the same as the beautifully spiced and aromatic Hyderabad biryani, which is definitely *not* 'spicy' (as in teekha) and one needs the mirchi ka salan to give the kick. The "spicy Andhra biryani" has no fixed formulas or standards, each joint serves a variant in the theme - even the sherwa and pachadi vary from shop to shop. Nandhini of course has a central kitchen, so it tastes the same everywhere. "spicy Andhra biryani" is as much a Bangalore invention as the ubiquitous Gobhi Manchuri and Andhra Chilly Chicken a la Nandhini.

(The last named one should be classified under Anti-virus Software - it will thoroughly clean your insides of any microbes, and finally reboot your system. According to some, they kill the chicken by shoving sliced green chillies down its throat, then clean it and marinate it in green chillies, and then cook it with more green chillies. Must have been invented by a sadist )
Old 27th March 2012, 16:44   #2128
Senior - BHPian

OMG, never thought such a thread existed, so here is my query to foodies in BLR. We have a peculiar problem. Whenever we go out to eat (together), i.e. Me, My Wife, Daughter, my BIL, and my FIL, there is always this where to go question. Why, because daughter wants pasta, pizza, and the likes, FIL wants Indian cuisine, and the rest of us are ready to eat anything.

We usually frequent a place called, Jharokha in HSR Layout, for two reasons. (1) Food is decent, (2) It serves Pasta, etc and Indian cuisine as well. Would love to know if there are similar good eat-outs (Preferably Vegetarian)?
Old 27th March 2012, 16:50   #2129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
OMG, never thought such a thread existed, so here is my query to foodies in BLR. We have a peculiar problem. Whenever we go out to eat (together), i.e. Me, My Wife, Daughter, my BIL, and my FIL, there is always this where to go question. Why, because daughter wants pasta, pizza, and the likes, FIL wants Indian cuisine, and the rest of us are ready to eat anything.

We usually frequent a place called, Jharokha in HSR Layout, for two reasons. (1) Food is decent, (2) It serves Pasta, etc and Indian cuisine as well. Would love to know if there are similar good eat-outs (Preferably Vegetarian)?
High Note on 100ft road Indiranagar is one such place. Whitefield has Opus by the creek near graphite india junction.

You can also try La Casa on Kasavanahalli main road. All places are not veg but have lots of options in veg.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th March 2012 at 17:06.
Old 27th March 2012, 17:04   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dum biryani?
Quote:
Agreed, I've yet to find a proper "Dum" biriyani place.
Do post up when you find one
You should try Hyderabadi Biryani on Victoria road.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks