Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 17:30   #2176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday

However the plus points being the tasty mishti doi, tastier nolen gurer ice cream and the long shaped lemon (I don't know if it has a proper name), which is available only in eastern part of India.

Worth a repeat visit only for the icecream.
That long shaped lemon its called "Gondhoraaj lebu or lemon". The king of smells lemon
If you want that lemon you can get it in bengali market in HAL and also at HKGN fish stall on CBI road. I get it from these places mostly.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 27th April 2012 at 17:46.
Old 28th April 2012, 23:30   #2177
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
... bengali market in HAL and also at HKGN fish stall on CBI road. ...
Where ARE these places?
Old 28th April 2012, 23:42   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
Where ARE these places?
One is the HAL market on old airport road near the HAL police station. I used to go there earlier for the fish, bengali newspapers and other bengali food items and sweets. There used to be a bengali shopkeeper who used to stock all the bengali newspapers and magazines. Ive forgotten the name of the shop. But its in the HAL market itself. He also used to make bengali sweets too which tasted better than or rather more bengalier than the KC Das ones.

The Cbi road is one that comes on the Mekhri Circle - hebbal- BIAL road.
This fish stall is right next to the Shell petrol pump on the cbi road. He stocks all bengali fishes plus some rare bengali vegetables and gondhoraj lebu. Fridays morning is the best time to go as it is then that fresh stocks for the week arrive. Fridays and saturdays.

We have currently shifted our loyalty to this shop as its close to my residence and also journey to HAL during evenings was quite a hassle. Hope this was helpful.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:23   #2179
BHPian

Can somebody suggest some good Ice Cream parlours in Jayanagar/Banashankari/JP Nagar/Basavanagudi ?

Generally have visited Chocolate Junction, Naturals, Baskin Robbins, Kwality Walls, Icey Land, Corner House etc.

Am trying to find out some good places which serve good/exotic flavours of icre creams in south Bangalore.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:35   #2180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Can somebody suggest some good Ice Cream parlours in Jayanagar/Banashankari/JP Nagar/Basavanagudi ?

Generally have visited Chocolate Junction, Naturals, Baskin Robbins, Kwality Walls, Icey Land, Corner House etc.

Am trying to find out some good places which serve good/exotic flavours of icre creams in south Bangalore.
I did not see Corner House in your list,if you havent been there,then its a must go place,easily one of the most popular places in town.There is an outlet in Jayanagar 9th block which was my haunt right from my college days in Blore.They also have newer outlets at 5th block and in Basavangudi.

Corner House Ice Creams Pvt. Ltd. - Locations

Apart from that Cream n Fudge is another must try place,but this is in Koramangala 7th block, opp Forum on the Robert Bosch side.The Ferro Rocher one is a must try there.

Quote:
One is the HAL market on old airport road near the HAL police station. I used to go there earlier for the fish, bengali newspapers and other bengali food items and sweets. There used to be a bengali shopkeeper who used to stock all the bengali newspapers and magazines. Ive forgotten the name of the shop. But its in the HAL market itself. He also used to make bengali sweets too which tasted better than or rather more bengalier than the KC Das ones.
I cant agree more with you.I think I know the shop you are talking about,it used to be a regular haunt during my Bangalore days,his samosas were mind blowing and it was always hot,people wouldnt even have the patience for it to cool down!The one I am referring to was the last shop iirc in the line right before you step into the vegetable market.Hope he is still there though.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 30th April 2012 at 12:39.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:39   #2181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As already mentioned, Corner House in Jayanagar 9th Block (opp Ragiguda temple) and Cream and Fudge Factory (this one is expensive as compared to other brands) would be decent choices.

Another one you can try is Polar Bear- they have some good flavours. The parlour is in JP Nagar 7th phase, near (i.e. after) Nandhini junction, asyou go towards Brigade Millenium.
Old 30th April 2012, 13:44   #2182
BHPian

Quote:

You can try Natural's (the nearest one I know of is on Bannerghatta Road, near Adiga's, but there might be a closer one) and Svensen's (in Royal Meenakshi mall).
Old 30th April 2012, 13:55   #2183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

I cant agree more with you.I think I know the shop you are talking about,it used to be a regular haunt during my Bangalore days,his samosas were mind blowing and it was always hot,people wouldnt even have the patience for it to cool down!The one I am referring to was the last shop iirc in the line right before you step into the vegetable market.Hope he is still there though.
Yes if the guy wears dark rim specs and if his aged mom also used to sit in the shop with him, then you recall correctly. His sweets are definitely better i feel. Mostly i think you also would have tasted hot rosogolla. its amazing. KC Das here doesnt serve as good as what I get in my native place.

And you should taste the biryani and chicken items he brings in the palace grounds during Durga Puja. too good
Old 30th April 2012, 14:27   #2184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes if the guy wears dark rim specs and if his aged mom also used to sit in the shop with him, then you recall correctly. His sweets are definitely better i feel. Mostly i think you also would have tasted hot rosogolla. its amazing. KC Das here doesnt serve as good as what I get in my native place.

And you should taste the biryani and chicken items he brings in the palace grounds during Durga Puja. too good
Yes bang on the very same people.Yes the way he serves those rosos are amazing and its one real big mouthful!They have been there from time immemorial,I remember them from my college times to the times I was staying in LB Shastri Nagar some 7yrs back.The moment you enter the building itself,the aroma gets onto you even though this was the last shop in the lane.
Old 30th April 2012, 20:22   #2185
BHPian

@ranjitp1 : Yes, we had tried Corner House in Jayanagar in their previous location. I have heard good reviews of their present location in JNR 5th Block. Will try that. Thanks !!

@arindambasu13 : Thanks, we will try cream and fudge factory and svensen's. Have been to Polar Bear, Nice place.

@Aiel : Thanks, There is a Naturals outlet near JNR 7th block. We have tried that. It is a good place.
Old 1st May 2012, 05:28   #2186
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday we went for dinner at California Pizza Kitchen on Indiranagar 100 Feet road, we came out of the outlet in about 2 hours completely dissatisfied with the food. Overall food was just ok, and not very tasty, we had Garlic Bread, Pasta, and Thin Pizza's, all vegetarian. My daughter commented about Pasta hardly having any white sauce.

Comparatively the Little Italy and Italia down the road are much better.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:06   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
You can try Natural's (the nearest one I know of is on Bannerghatta Road, near Adiga's, but there might be a closer one) and Svensen's (in Royal Meenakshi mall).
There is one in Jayanagar 7th Block at the junction of Kanakapura road and 36th Cross.
Apart from this there is Polar Bear and also a Gelato shop in a restaurant called Renee in 7th Block at the junction of 30th cross and 2nd main opposite Coffee Day
Old 7th May 2012, 20:20   #2188
BHPian

Found 'Barrels and Berries' at Brigade Gateway to be average. Their olive chicken was nice but over cooked, i felt like Chaplin cutting the boot. If it had been tender, it would have been fantastic. Their Olive pudding was also not soft, it wasnt moist either and quantity good enough for a baby. The chicken sandwich, it was good but nothing special there.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:39   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Yesterday we went for dinner at California Pizza Kitchen on Indiranagar 100 Feet road, we came out of the outlet in about 2 hours completely dissatisfied with the food. Overall food was just ok, and not very tasty, we had Garlic Bread, Pasta, and Thin Pizza's, all vegetarian. My daughter commented about Pasta hardly having any white sauce.

Comparatively the Little Italy and Italia down the road are much better.
Don't go to CPK if you are a vegetarian - not worth it. However their non veg stuff is heavenly. Atleast the one in phoenix mall has quickly become one of my favorites. Its not even close to italian - their best selling stuff is a mix of italian and tex mex.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:05   #2190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Don't go to CPK if you are a vegetarian - not worth it. However their non veg stuff is heavenly. Atleast the one in phoenix mall has quickly become one of my favorites. Its not even close to italian - their best selling stuff is a mix of italian and tex mex.
Wow that's surprising. CPK was the only place I could go to for decent veg food when I was in the US.

Any reason why you say it's not worth it for veg? Is the menu different from the US menu?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks