Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 19:36   #2671
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I know this joint - our usual 'too many people to cook for today' fall back option ever since it opened!!! No, their sambhar - though it is different (salty, not sweet) from the usual Bangalore sambhar - is nowhere close to the Madras stuff.
opps!! Sorry not being able to help out- I'm an out and out Sambar fan, and I liked what they make at Mallige... Nisarga in Basveswaranagar is another place.. however now i have a better feel on what you may be looking for .. this is not chennai fare.. not by a mile. Should you finally find one do let me know :-)
Old 3rd April 2013, 20:33   #2672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops2009 View Post
... Nisarga in Basveswaranagar is another place... Should you finally find one do let me know :-)
Sure will!

Nisarga is there in Vijayanagar too, though I have only had Biryani from there. Nice, different - neither the typical Bangalore one, nor Hydi - somewhere in between. They pretend to be an Andhra joint (won't attract the kudka crowd otherwise) but they are actually a Mangy outfit. Great fish!
Old 3rd April 2013, 21:29   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Sure will!

Nisarga is there in Vijayanagar too, though I have only had Biryani from there. Nice, different - neither the typical Bangalore one, nor Hydi - somewhere in between. They pretend to be an Andhra joint (won't attract the kudka crowd otherwise) but they are actually a Mangy outfit. Great fish!
I think Nisarga in BSNgr is part of the shanti sagar which is next to it - I mean, part of the same group/family/whatever. So, Mangalore makes sense rather than Hyderabad.

Last edited by null : 3rd April 2013 at 21:30. Reason: area
Old 4th April 2013, 11:08   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Visited few restaurants in last one week.

1, Chichaba's Taj @ Frazer town:The food was very average.Nothing to rave about.

2, Sathyas Family Restaurant @ 9th Main, Koramangala: Great food,specially the starters.We were made to wait for 30 mins as it was crowded on Saturday evening.

3, Mani's Biryani @ Koramangala:Great biryani and absolute VFM restaurant.

4, Rahams restaurant @ Kammanahalli:Great food,specially the starters.Do not miss Chicken Sholay Kebab and pepper chicken Kebab here.

5, Ice and Spice @ St marks road:My favourite place for burgers.

6, Ammis Biryani: We ordered 5 Biriyanis and they were BARELY ENOUGH for 4 people.The quantity has been reduced and so is the quality also.

7, Savoury Restaurant @ Frazer town:This place was buzzing with crowd when i visited on Tuesday for Dinner.The prices have increased significantly but the food and service is top notch.

Waseem.
Old 4th April 2013, 11:54   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
... Chichaba's Taj...
Funny name! Neither will it bring the Chichaba family any fame, nor will it match the fame of Taj Shivajinagar.

Quote:
... 3, Mani's Biryani @ Koramangala: ...
Is this one on the Jyothi Nivas College Road? If so, good variety, quantity and service.

Quote:
... 6, Ammis Biryani: We ordered 5 Biriyanis and they were BARELY ENOUGH for 4 people.The quantity has been reduced and so is the quality also. ...
Never liked their central kitchen + franchise concept with Biryanis. Very dry pedestrian biryani, quantity that doesn't satisfy anyone and high prices. Not worth it.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:38   #2676
BHPian

went for dinner last night at Bakasur, Bellandur, ORR.
Food : 9/10
Menu Variety: 7/10
Ambience : 8/10
Service : 7/10
Price : 6/10
Overall : 8/10

Thanks!
Old 4th April 2013, 15:08   #2677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Funny name! Neither will it bring the Chichaba family any fame, nor will it match the fame of Taj Shivajinagar.
The founder of this place Abdur Rahman was fondly known as ''Chichaba''.They have named this place Chichaba's Taj as a tribute to the founding father.Oldies of bangalore still call Taj Shivajinagar as Chichaba ki hotel.
Old 4th April 2013, 15:34   #2678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... They have named this place Chichaba's Taj as a tribute to the founding father.Oldies of bangalore still call Taj Shivajinagar as Chichaba ki hotel.
That sounds business one-up-manship more than a tribute. If the old-timers knew it by a name, and the current market doesn't remember it - the element of nostalgia is only an attempt at creating a novel differentiator.

I remember the times I have eaten at the Shivajinagar Taj, and wiped my hands on a piece of old newspaper. With the not-so-memorable experiences with various new 'reincarnations' of old joints, the first memory to flash would be of the newspaper napkin, not the fantastic Mutton Biryani.

The same goes with (I am sure you know it) Iyengar Bakery, or more specifically Hasan Iyengar Bakery. Not that later migrants to Bangalore (today Bangalore is 30% indigenous, 70% migrants - 30 years back it was the reverse) can figure out what the fuss is about - they are the likely clientele.
Old 4th April 2013, 19:40   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That sounds business one-up-manship more than a tribute. If the old-timers knew it by a name, and the current market doesn't remember it - the element of nostalgia is only an attempt at creating a novel differentiator.

Not that later migrants to Bangalore (today Bangalore is 30% indigenous, 70% migrants - 30 years back it was the reverse) can figure out what the fuss is about - they are the likely clientele.
I am glad that they have attempted to recreate the element of nostalgia.
I have been visiting Taj Shivajinagar from a very long time and i can concur with what you have said.My uncle use to stay at Kamraj road (Cavalry Road) and Taj was his B'fast joint for at least thrice a week.I have accompanied him for many years during summer holidays..

Waseem
Old 4th April 2013, 21:20   #2680
BHPian

I need to take my team out for lunch this saturday. Prefer around Sivaji Nagar/MG road/Ulsoor.

We are around 18 of us.

Fish has to be the mandatory item on menu followed by Chicken. Places that have been tried in the past are coast to coast, Ende Keralam, Benjarong.

Prefer a Buffet lunch.

Any suggestions ?
Old 5th April 2013, 00:44   #2681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I need to take my team out for lunch this saturday. Prefer around Sivaji Nagar/MG road/Ulsoor.

We are around 18 of us.

Fish has to be the mandatory item on menu followed by Chicken. Places that have been tried in the past are coast to coast, Ende Keralam, Benjarong.

Prefer a Buffet lunch.

Any suggestions ?
Try Ebony or 14th floor in Barton centre. The food is quite good and ambience is great, though I'm not sure if it ticks your fish requirement.
Old 5th April 2013, 11:14   #2682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Try Angeethi.

They normally have a fish starter in the buffet.

Waseem.
Old 12th April 2013, 10:50   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any recommendations for a veg restaurant in and around MG road on the lines of Mast Kalandar. Phulka and Sabzi types.???

Waseem.
Old 12th April 2013, 15:08   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull76 View Post
Had been to couple of restaurants ( tamilnadu cuisine)

1. Arusuvai Madhuram,HSR Layout, Bangalore
http://www.arusuvaiarasu.com/index.html

Pure Vegetarian restaurant run by Arusuvai Natarajan family ( very famous in Marriage catering services in Chennai ).

Ambience - 2/5 ( Similar to marriage reception halls )
Food - 4/5 ( Typical marriage meals )
Service - 4/5
Value - 3/5 ( Over-priced for the food & ambience )
A friend of mine visited this place a couple of days back, and gave a poor feedback about the looks, food and service. I cant help but compare to the now closed Arusuvai restaurant which was functional near Mayajaal in ECR, Chennai.
Old 13th April 2013, 09:59   #2685
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Guys,

Any recommendations for a veg restaurant in and around MG road on the lines of Mast Kalandar. Phulka and Sabzi types.???

Waseem.
Queens On Church Street. Still first class.

Most Viewed