Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:25   #2821
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Correction- It is not called Arslan in Bangalore - Its called Alishaan (Though it is their branch).

Comment: This place is a shadow of the original Arslan in Calcutta. Their service is horrible. Their food is good, dont have a lot of complaints there. For some reason I did not like their Mutton Biryani. Rolls are awesome.
Its been a while since I visited the place, so I hope their service might have improved.I have seen instances of them taking 30 minutes to simply get the bill
It was very much Arsalan when i visited a year and half back.I have posted the review as well.It seems that this place has changed hands or something like that.

Waseem.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:33   #2822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
It was very much Arsalan when i visited a year and half back.I have posted the review as well.It seems that this place has changed hands or something like that.

Waseem.

I remember it being named Arsalan quite some time back and then one fine day it was Alishaan - I asked these guys the reason to which I was told - It had to do with saving some kind of tax.

Though as I said its been a while - probably 6 months since I have visited the place - the service gives me the creeps.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:38   #2823
BHPian

Not really a eating out question.
Any recommendation for cake shop to order B'day cake in JP Nagar/ Bannerghatta Road/BTM Area.
I know only about Daily Bread. This is for my niece so looking for some design that kids will love
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:03   #2824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Any recommendation for cake shop to order B'day cake in JP Nagar/ Bannerghatta Road/BTM Area.
I know only about Daily Bread. This is for my niece so looking for some design that kids will love
You can try Just Bake (Arekere). They do have some kid friendly designs.

Recently, saw an advert mentioning that you can place the order online also on the just bake website.
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:06   #2825
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Had been to The only place on Museum road last week, what a disappointment

it looks like management has changed and while menu remains same, quality has nosedived. We had ordered a medium steak and a chicken burger with fish fingers.

Medium steak actually turned out to be well done and like chewing on leather, called the waiter and it was replaced quickly though, but with a different sauce from what it was originally supposed to be with ! Chicken burger was terrible.

Fish fingers were excellent and saved the day.

Staff seem quite uninterested to serve unlike before.

Dont think ill be going there anytime in the near future, shame considering ive been going there for years now.
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:19   #2826
BHPian

Quote:
Not really in JP Nagar or Bannerghatta road, but Cakewala is not far either. I found the cakes fresh and you can see them baking it. The quality is really good. (This is close to MK Ahmed retail in Jayanagar T block. The other landmark is BMTC Depot)
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:44   #2827
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Had been to The only place on Museum road last week, what a disappointment

it looks like management has changed and while menu remains same, quality has nosedived..
Yes Nirmal, management has changed. I haven't been there in a while, but it's disappointing to hear that the quality has nose dived. :(
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:46   #2828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
You can try Just Bake (Arekere). They do have some kid friendly designs.

Recently, saw an advert mentioning that you can place the order online also on the just bake website.
Thanks Aiel. Any idea if its better than Daily Bread. Wasnt very happy with DB when i tried sometime back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Not really in JP Nagar or Bannerghatta road, but Cakewala is not far either. I found the cakes fresh and you can see them baking it. The quality is really good. (This is close to MK Ahmed retail in Jayanagar T block. The other landmark is BMTC Depot)
Looks promising but a bit far. Will they deliver?
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:01   #2829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is for my niece so looking for some design that kids will love
Check out Bells & Candles, near Big Bazaar Jayanagar 9th Block. They make eggless cakes have good designs. Link - http://www.zomato.com/bangalore/bells-candles-jayanagar

PS: This was the cake for my daughter's last birthday.
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-775742_4820097413413_703345153_o.jpg

Note: Eggless cake tastes good, but not as good egg cakes. I went here only for design.

Last edited by msdivy : 2nd July 2013 at 13:08. Reason: Adding about taste.
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:32   #2830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
PS: This was the cake for my daughter's last birthday.
Note: Eggless cake tastes good, but not as good egg cakes. I went here only for design.
Thanks msdivy. Design looks good. I work close to BigBazar. Will checkout sometime
Old 2nd July 2013, 20:46   #2831
BHPian

Quote:
There is a Sweet Chariot outlet on the road adjacent to Reliance Mart on Bannerughatta road. They do take customised orders.
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:30   #2832
BHPian

I have been living in Koramangala for a long time and I have been to all the following restaurants, sometimes many times.
  • Krishna Kafe (portions have become small and prices have gone north, but still pretty good)
  • Fill 'n Chill (pub, generally OK)
  • Ponnuswamy (family likes the chettinad cuisine, but where did it go?)
  • Hunan (chinese, good but spicy)
  • Sichuan (started off really good with original chinese dishes and good dim sum, but now not sure)
  • Barleyz (multi-cuisine pub, expensive but good food and great ambiance)
  • Black Pearl (tried a Groupon voucher, liked the food and ambiance)
  • Flambe (again Groupon but terrible food)
  • Maharaja (OK)
  • Little Home (my back up option in case the maid doesn't show up)
  • Lazeez (tried the rolls there, but never the biryani. used to avoid it ever since I saw a huge rat going inside some years back, but now I realize from this thread that I should give it a second chance)
  • Thulp (my favorite hang out, probably some of the best burgers in town)
  • Halcyon (their burger festival was so so)
  • Delicacy (buy from there every friday, but next day I visit the toilet)
  • Hornbill Cafe (chinese, serves pork)
  • Beijing Bites (limited menu but quite good)
  • China Pearl (pricey but good)
  • Imperial (yummy biryani, love the fish biryani)
  • Empire (only tried the kebab)
  • Oriental Kitchen (chinese but pricey)
  • Hyderabad Biryani Paradise (started off with cooks from paradise in hyd, non spicy biryani, good)
  • Rendezvous/Friends (steaks have gone rubbery and price has gone up)
  • 898 (pricey steaks)
  • Coorg (good Coorgi food, love the pork)
  • Kubay (think it was OK, don't remember)
  • Meghana (huge crowd but not a big fan of the fiery stuff, thought it was OK)
  • Nandhini (meals here are my favorite)

Looking at some of the posts here, I am not sure if I have been having pedestrian stuff in Koramangala. So, what am I missing?

Please note that I am strictly a "value for money" guy. Place has to be clean, other than that I only care about the food. Also my idea of eating food is not to feel fire in my belly or the next day. I can handle only moderate heat, by Indian standards that is.

SILVERWOOD & DerAlte: Love your posts here! I see you have a list of biryani restaurants in Bangalore but could you explain to me what the differences between the various types of biryani are? For a guy who can only handle moderately hot food, which is the type best suited for me? Thanks!
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:04   #2833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I have been living in Koramangala for a long time and I have been to all the following restaurants, sometimes many times.
You seem to have missed out Anupams Coast II Coast, near Koramangala Club. The Chicken Ghee Roast is not to be missed there, but beware, the calories in there are not for the faint hearted.

Right down that same road is a Bengali cuisine eatery called Bhojohori Manna. Excellent food, if you like regional cuisine. Reasonable too. Try the Natun Gurer Ice Cream, its brilliant.

As regards biryani, since you seem to tend towards meduim spicy stuff you can give Hyderabad House a try. This is not in Koramangala but in Victoria Layout, opp Lifestyle on Richmond Road. Decent stuff, not too spicy.
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:45   #2834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ammas pastry at BTM - they have a good verity of cakes and tastes better than sweet chariot and DB, in my opinion. One good thing with them is, you do not have to pre order like with sweet chariot. You can give the order and they will make the cake in 15~30 minutes.
PS: If interested, they have a good collection of egg less cakes also.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:11   #2835
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Ammas pastry at BTM - they have a good verity of cakes and tastes better than sweet chariot and DB, in my opinion.
Ammas Pastries has opened on New Thippasandra main road (the building has Kotak Mahindra Bank), they also have a branch in Banaswadi. Good stuff and VFM.

In other news, tried the new branch of MTR 1924 in Indiranagar (near Dominos, opp. south Indies). Had lunch and breakfast there this week (of course on different days ). For lunch they have the Mini meal (Rs.120) & Special Meal (Rs.200) - this one similar to Maiya's and MTR Lalbagh Road.
Lunch experirnce - had the Special meal, it was good but obviously a very heavy multi-course meal!
Breakfast experience - Tiffin/snack items are good as well with the Dosa/Masala Dosa being the best, small in size compared to most other hotels but very nice.
Here's a pic (ghee is served in the small cup on top):
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-mtr1924.jpg

Last edited by NPV : 7th July 2013 at 11:12.

Most Viewed